Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

Haven't we gone the "trade down" route enough?  Srsly...How many young kids do we want on this team?  Sashi found out the hard way that you cannot construct a team THIS YOUNG and expect success.  Take the best possible players at 1 and 4. 

QB for sure at 1, and Barkley or Fitzpatrick at 4.

45 minutes ago, bruceb said:

It has just taken some time for them to acknowledge facts.

I have always been and always will be a fan of trading down. One of my first post on this board I said I was more than happy with a trade down. I am a huge fan of Denzel Ward and it would be most logical in a trade down. I'd still be happy with him at 4 if one cannot be found though. LGB knows I'm a fan of trading down. If the FO cannot agree on a franchise QB at #1 then I am perfectly happy trading down from #1 and #4. If we sign Kirk or trade for someone the FO feels can be the man then again I'd be okay trading down from both spots. I don't see a single cannot live without them stud prospect in this class but the class has good quality in the mid 1st - late 2nd that I'd like to take advantage of if it comes to it.

4 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Haven't we gone the "trade down" route enough?  Srsly...How many young kids do we want on this team.  Sashi found out the hard way that you cannot construct a team THIS YOUNG and expect success.  Take the best possible players at 1 and 4. 

QB for sure at 1, and Barkley or Fitzpatrick at 4.

Trading down has not been the problem. Picking the wrong players has been the problem.

I'd be happy to stay at 1 and 4 as well. I'd take Denzel Ward of Fitzpatrick though. I'd take Chubb over Fitzpatrick as well.

3 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I have always been and always will be a fan of trading down. One of my first post on this board I said I was more than happy with a trade down. I am a huge fan of Denzel Ward and it would be most logical in a trade down. I'd still be happy with him at 4 if one cannot be found though. LGB knows I'm a fan of trading down. If the FO cannot agree on a franchise QB at #1 then I am perfectly happy trading down from #1 and #4. If we sign Kirk or trade for someone the FO feels can be the man then again I'd be okay trading down from both spots. I don't see a single cannot live without them stud prospect in this class but the class has good quality in the mid 1st - late 2nd that I'd like to take advantage of if it comes to it.

The bolded is literally said EVERY YEAR by different people, and yet every draft there are prospects that turn out to be studs. They aren't always taken in the top 5, but many of them are.  It makes sense to try and find those guys early when you have the chance.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Draft media just starting to really watch stuff and discover that Rashaad Penny isn't good at blocking as well...

The real Question is....how long before they actually watch Saquon Barkley and discover he's just as bad....

We shall see...

My prediction is that Barkley's blocking is picked to pieces over the next 3 months and at the end of the day he's seen as a top 12 player instead of a top 5 lock.

I'm telling you guys...his blocking is atrocious...I was freaking shocked. Kept watching more games to see him in pass pro...and things looked worse and worse.

I don't know if we can take a RB that can't block no matter how special top 5.

I think your going a bit overboard with highlighting his blocking and thinking that it is really going to effect his draft stock. He is a freak of nature at RB just as good as Zeke, Gurley or Fournette coming out in recent years but he has the top end speed and pass catching ability some of those 3 didnt have as prospects.

He might not be Zeke in terms of a blocker at RB, but if you really think blocking of all things (which is teachable) is going to slide him out of the top 5, let alone top 10 then I think you will be surprised come draft day. Plus there is this:

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/Penn-State-Star-RB-Saquon-Barkley-Putting-In-Overtime-74914626

28 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think your going a bit overboard with highlighting his blocking and thinking that it is really going to effect his draft stock. He is a freak of nature at RB just as good as Zeke, Gurley or Fournette coming out in recent years but he has the top end speed and pass catching ability some of those 3 didnt have as prospects.

He might not be Zeke in terms of a blocker at RB, but if you really think blocking of all things (which is teachable) is going to slide him out of the top 5, let alone top 10 then I think you will be surprised come draft day. Plus there is this:

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/Penn-State-Star-RB-Saquon-Barkley-Putting-In-Overtime-74914626

I wouldn't put money on it that Barkley falls out of the top 7, but for certain positions like RB, all the factors have to be just right for the RB to go in the top 5.

With that position,evaluators are looking for any reason to drop a guy down the board a few spots with the main reason for doing so being if the RB class is deep and an impact RB can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

That's the case this year.

Therefore, any issue such a blocking and less talked about his vision can cause him to fall a bit...that's why I said when it's all said and done he could be considered a top 12 lock and not a top 5 lock.

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Trading down has not been the problem. Picking the wrong players has been the problem.

I'd be happy to stay at 1 and 4 as well. I'd take Denzel Ward of Fitzpatrick though. I'd take Chubb over Fitzpatrick as well.

Mehhhh...

I understand that you can’t just keep adding kids to the team.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Mehhhh...

I understand that you can’t just keep adding kids to the team.

By next year are those dudes from 2016 still kids?  They’ll be 4th year vets, Garrett and that group year 3.

I’m not sure how many first and second rounders, top 50 picks, are too many, but I’ll know when we’re there.  Imo we’re not there yet.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why? They found LeVeon in round 2 and Dorsey found Hunt in the 3rd, why would that mean they want a RB at 4?

that's why I asked.  I'm aware that Bell went in round 2, but if Haley and others see Barkley in that light then I'd have to think they'd at least consider it at 4.   I see both sides of the argument, so I was curious the thoughts of everyone else

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why? They found LeVeon in round 2 and Dorsey found Hunt in the 3rd, why would that mean they want a RB at 4?

I dont think its obvious they would take Barkley but many regard him as the best player in the draft. If its a position of need and he is there at #4 you gotta take him.

The interesting thing is that Haley's offense requires a LOT out of the RB position. Jamal Charles and Leveon Bell both exploded in his offense. Both were every down running backs that could 'do it all' especially as receiving threats. I think Haley would be salivating over the prospect of getting Barkley who has all of the same traits as Bell/Charles as runner/receiver with homerun ability.

Archived