Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

We lost to KC 20-27 and outplayed them for a good portion of the game. We beat the 49ers. In primetime. This year's team, with Kirk Cousins, would have made the playoffs and would have had as good a chance as anyone to make/win the Super Bowl. Would they have? Who knows. But we don't know what the composition of this team will look like in August. But with any improvements whatsoever, they have a chance to again. They can also draft his successor and let him learn. Not a bad thing either.

I can appreciate that, but there's a lot that we'd need to contextualize from an utterly confusing season. 

The start of the year should should have told us something. It's hard to be too rash though because they began to turn it around before Kirk got hurt. It's hard to read into why they had such a slow start other than turnovers, and that's a terrible excuse.

The team had some fight at the near the midpoint of the season. However, the point differential with this team has been bad since well before O'Connell started here and Kirk/O'Connell isn't pushing the offense to dominate teams when given the opportunity. The 49ers win was the only legit feather in the cap I saw. Then, Kirk got hurt and couldn't prove it was an aberration. The team outside of Kirk couldn't prove it either and underwhelmed after a softball midseason schedule. It can't be all on the QB play.

Every divisional opponent beat up on the Vikings late in the year -- the closest reading to what this team is right now. What does that say about the team surrounding Kirk going into next season. That's 4 divisional games lost. In the game against the Packers the Vikings were spanked. Kirk would have lost that game period and it wouldn't have been his fault. The Lions put up 60 points to the Vikings 44 late in the year. They aren't scared of the Flores defense after that. Why should they be?

The Lions are the team to beat in the division next season and the Packers have the best chance of competing with them. The end of the year, as demonstrated above, proved as much. Kirk might have gotten the team to the playoffs with one win against the Lions, but beyond that probably nothing more than another 1st round exit to the Buccaneers (who stifled the Vikings on the 1st game of the year) or Rams. I'm not buying that a Kirk-led team would have made any noise after what I saw at the end of the year.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 7:33 AM, wcblack34 said:

We lost to KC 20-27 and outplayed them for a good portion of the game. We beat the 49ers. In primetime. This year's team, with Kirk Cousins, would have made the playoffs and would have had as good a chance as anyone to make/win the Super Bowl. Would they have? Who knows. But we don't know what the composition of this team will look like in August. But with any improvements whatsoever, they have a chance to again. They can also draft his successor and let him learn. Not a bad thing either.

Wasn't the 49ers win with the Vikings at their best and the 49ers at their worst? And I don't remember how the Chiefs were viewed at the time but they weren't as good a usual in the regular season

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

But the players were starting to figure out the defense and the opponents hadn't figured it out yet

Then you should've quantified "Vikings defense at their best". The Vikings without Jefferson are not at their best. 

Anyway you slice it neither team was at 100%, I imagine very few teams are in week 7 of a given season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Wasn't the 49ers win with the Vikings at their best and the 49ers at their worst? And I don't remember how the Chiefs were viewed at the time but they weren't as good a usual in the regular season

They beat the team that was on the field with them. And that team was the NFC Champion and was within a hair of winning the Super Bowl. All of the NFC front runners had warts. As of right now, none of those teams have improved. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Then you should've quantified "Vikings defense at their best". The Vikings without Jefferson are not at their best. 

Anyway you slice it neither team was at 100%, I imagine very few teams are in week 7 of a given season.

I don't think the team was ever playing at their best when Jefferson was healthy

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

They beat the team that was on the field with them. And that team was the NFC Champion and was within a hair of winning the Super Bowl. All of the NFC front runners had warts. As of right now, none of those teams have improved. 

Might as well hang the banner then

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/falcons-are-the-favorites-to-land-kirk-cousins-if-he-leaves-the-vikings

Florio is hilarious. Goes and blames everything on Kirk. Has an irrational negative view of Kirk. Says that Kirk can't win the big one, over and over. Then, presumably with a straight face, writes this:

"So, yeah, the Vikings had better get their act together, if they truly want to keep Cousins. Once Atlanta gets a chance to make a push for Cousins (and it could happen at the Scouting Combine in little more than a week), it could be too late for the Vikings to do anything about it. And if Cousins signs with the Falcons, fans from 25 years ago will have flashbacks to the 1998 NFC Championship game."

7 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I think Vikings have already told Kirk that we’re moving on. It’s just in both party’s interest to key that information hidden for us. 

Minny in trying to trade up

Kirk so his leverage seems higher  in negotiations with other teams 

I seriously doubt that. I do think Kirk realizes that we want a long-term option at the position though, but that he can still be the guy for the next 2-3 years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I think Vikings have already told Kirk that we’re moving on. It’s just in both party’s interest to key that information hidden for us. 

Minny in trying to trade up

Kirk so his leverage seems higher  in negotiations with other teams 

"We're going to fire you but we have not found or hired a replacement yet. So if you can please continue to promote the franchise, that would be great thanks." Those are words that are never spoken in the world of business.

Why would the Vikings ever do that for zero gain, unless they have an agreement in place for a top 3 pick. I would assume they have a plan for every scenario, one of which is probably not having the option to draft his predecessor this year.

Does Kirk sign a contract when FA opens? Or do teams along with the Vikings want to see how he is progressing through his rehab first.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

"We're going to fire you but we have not found or hired a replacement yet. So if you can please continue to promote the franchise, that would be great thanks." Those are words that are never spoken in the world of business.

Why would the Vikings ever do that for zero gain, unless they have an agreement in place for a top 3 pick. I would assume they have a plan for every scenario, one of which is probably not having the option to draft his predecessor this year.

Does Kirk sign a contract when FA opens? Or do teams along with the Vikings want to see how he is progressing through his rehab first.

stop-making-sense.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BWG VIKE said:

So you think Kirk would prefer Vikings boldy saying to media, we are moving on from Cousins, it’s not even about the money. We’ve mad the determination in September we are moving on and the injury especially confirms the assessment. 

You don’t think that would hurt Kirk in negotiations with other teams?

it could very well be, that both partys are just staying hush hush, for each party’s benefit