Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

Brian O’Neill:  “I have a job and that’s not my job. My job is to block people. It’s pretty much, when that kind stuff happens (Cousins to Atlanta), it’s the same as any other teammate who signs somewhere else or goes on, moves on. You call them. You wish them well. You hope they play really bad when they play us. So, it’s no different than other teammates I’ve been close with that have left. You give them a call. You check in on them in the offseason and move on. I talked to Alex Mattison a couple of times through texts in the offseason. It’s no different. Life moves on. It’s a business.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brian-oneill-on-kirk-cousins-its-no-different-than-any-other-teammate-who-leaves

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, Cousins now understands that his time with the Atlanta Falcons will likely be defined by the guaranteed money on his contract. While I don’t know what he envisioned being 35 and coming off a torn Achilles, and I don’t think he’ll cause a fuss in the locker room, there is something difficult about having your replacement selected before starting a job on Day 1. Cousins is competitive and there will now be some additional pressure on him to accept a role of mentorship, which was thrust on him after the Falcons selected Penix. I understand why the Falcons waited to tell him, especially because Atlanta was able to fly under the radar and not become the target of a trade up from either Denver or Minnesota.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/25/2024-nfl-draft-winners-losers-jim-harbaugh-kirk-cousins-bo-nix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Absolute poverty franchise move.

you speaking in absolutes is always a scary thing.

Atlanta is doing what Green Bay did, twice. selecting an heir apparent, first round QB while they still have a highly credible one on the roster.

#8 is pretty darn high to do so, but Cousins won't be on the team after two years, and possibly will decline before then. i think the Falcons' mistake was not selecting Penix, but taking Cousins, and paying him so much.

• Like 1

hey @scar988, when you have a minute, could you drop in and discuss with us how Falcon fans (and you) reacted to the surprise pick of Penix at 8?

have the reactions changed over the hours now that the shock has worn off? do you think it will be seen as a huge blunder, or actually a well calculated move for the future?

thanks, man.

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Atlanta is doing what Green Bay did, twice. selecting an heir apparent, first round QB while they still have a highly credible one on the roster.

What the packers did was very different. In both instances for GB, a QB that they didn’t expect to be there fell to them, and they knew their veteran QB was near the end. They didn’t just give a massive contract to Favre or Rodgers. 

This pick by the Falcons just doesn’t make sense. The Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine both take place before free agency, if Atlanta was this high on Penix, they should have had a strong idea before handing Cousins $100M guaranteed. And after they signed Cousins, they should have immediately moved into a “win now” mentality and used the 8th pick on a player to make the team better. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What the packers did was very different. In both instances for GB, a QB that they didn’t expect to be there fell to them, and they knew their veteran QB was near the end. They didn’t just give a massive contract to Favre or Rodgers. 

This pick by the Falcons just doesn’t make sense. The Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine both take place before free agency, if Atlanta was this high on Penix, they should have had a strong idea before handing Cousins $100M guaranteed. And after they signed Cousins, they should have immediately moved into a “win now” mentality and used the 8th pick on a player to make the team better. 

so the owner of the team, the guy who signs the checks, pushed for it, perhaps? 

from what little we know, it seems like ATL was planning this for awhile.

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

you speaking in absolutes is always a scary thing.

#8 is pretty darn high to do so, but Cousins won't be on the team after two years, and possibly will decline before then. i think the Falcons' mistake was not selecting Penix, but taking Cousins, and paying him so much.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes...lol

But seriously,

That's not the problem though. Not keeping Cousins in the loop is. The Falcons already created mistrust between their QB. They should have had a more open and honest conversation with Kirk Cousins and where the team is at with their QB situation.

Edited by SteelKing728

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes...lol

But seriously,

That's not the problem though. Not keeping Cousins in the loop is. The Falcons already created mistrust between their QB. They should have had a more open and honest conversation with him and where the team is at with their QB situation.

Would they trust Cousins to keep his mouth shut after he got them accused of tampering lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Obviously Cousins was the smokescreen so teams wouldn't be jumping the Falcons for Penix /s

• Like 2

Cousins isn’t the only loser here. Penix played a lot of football in school—starting 45 games over six years. So if any quarterback in this class can afford to miss out on those live reps that a quarterback can get only in games, it’s Penix. But this is a less-than-ideal start to his career. If he develops into a long-term starter, he’ll need to get more comfortable navigating pressure in a tight pocket and throwing into tight windows over the field. It’s hard to replicate those plays in practice. Even if sitting behind Cousins doesn’t derail Penix’s development, it will almost certainly slow it.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/4/26/24141127/winners-losers-nfl-draft-first-round-michael-penix-atlanta-falcons-caleb-williams-chicago-bears