Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

4 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

This is what I like as well. Trading up for Daniels would interesting as well, but I’m having a hard time with allocating all that draft capital to move up to 3. We simply have too many holes to fill and need those picks to augment free agency. 

I wouldn't be interested in trading up to #3, but if one of the top 3 QBs falls to 7, I'd make the move to get ahead of the Falcons (of course that depends upon whether the Titans are interested in sticking with Levis).

Just now, swede700 said:

I wouldn't be interested in trading up to #3, but if one of the top 3 QBs falls to 7, I'd make the move to get ahead of the Falcons (of course that depends upon whether the Titans are interested in sticking with Levis).

I just can't see the Titans moving on from Levis. I think he showed he deserves to be the guy. He has every physical tool. Unless the new coach just wants a Lamar Jackson type QB, I think it would be dumb for TN to move on and use a high pick on another QB.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I’d be on board with that 

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I just can’t get behind the wait and see approach. If a QB is worth trading up to 7, then he’s worth trading up to 3. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I just can’t get behind the wait and see approach. If a QB is worth trading up to 7, then he’s worth trading up to 3. 

I understand that...but it's a calculated risk dependent on having good knowledge on what the other teams are going to do.  Spielman was pretty good at doing that.   We don't know yet if KAM is as adept at that...we certainly know that the Falcons are likely to take a QB.  I wouldn't rule out trading up with either the Chargers or Giants either, but if I can avoid trading up to #3 because of the cost it would take to do so, I'd rather do that.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I understand that...but it's a calculated risk dependent on having good knowledge on what the other teams are going to do.  Spielman was pretty good at doing that.   We don't know yet if KAM is as adept at that...we certainly know that the Falcons are likely to take a QB.  I wouldn't rule out trading up with either the Chargers or Giants either, but if I can avoid trading up to #3 because of the cost it would take to do so, I'd rather do that.  

Spielman was good at it, but the practice and approach also resulted in him never finding that franchise QB. If the Vikings ever want to get a top QB prospect to build around, then they will need to be aggressive to accomplish that. 

If the Vikings want one of the top 3 QB prospects, then they will need to make a trade to get into the top 3, to assure themselves one of those players, before the league year starts. They can’t wait until the draft to do it. 

It would be team building malpractice. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

Here’s an interesting stat from the top 5 QBs in Vikings history, TDs vs INTs.

Fran Tarkenton (33,098 yds) 239 TDs - 194 INTs
Tommy Kramer (24,475 yds) 159 TDs - 157 INTs
Kirk Cousins (23,265 yds) 171 TDs - 55 INTs
Daunte Culpepper (20,162 yds) 135 TD - 86 INTs
Wade Wilson (12,135 yds) 66 TDs - 75 INTs

VikingsNation.com
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:
Here’s an interesting stat from the top 5 QBs in Vikings history, TDs vs INTs.

Fran Tarkenton (33,098 yds) 239 TDs - 194 INTs
Tommy Kramer (24,475 yds) 159 TDs - 157 INTs
Kirk Cousins (23,265 yds) 171 TDs - 55 INTs
Daunte Culpepper (20,162 yds) 135 TD - 86 INTs
Wade Wilson (12,135 yds) 66 TDs - 75 INTs

VikingsNation.com

Kirk Cousins has 39,471 career NFL yards, obtained in 150 games.
Fran Tarkenton had 47,003 career NFL yards, obtained in 246 games.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 8:03 AM, swede700 said:

And I don't believe they'll be in the position to draft one in '25, because this year they're going to be as close to the top 10 as they will be...they'll be in the 20s again in 2025.  At least that's what I tend to believe.  Their fortune won't be as good as it was in '22 and won't be as bad as it has been this year.  

And there won't be as many high-quality QBs in the draft as there are this year.  The combination of that AND having our 1st pick from 18 to 26 will kill any chances, or cost an inordinate amount of draft capital AND require a really lucky combination of 2 trades up to get high enough.  THIS year is the best time to get the QB, and making him sit for 2 years and waste 2-years of his low-cost window would be a disaster.  Just let Kirk walk to a longer-term, much-much  higher amount of money than we can offer.   Choose a good quality prospect who will benefit greatly from having a coach who is excellent at scheming to get his WRs, and TEs open, and 2 WR who are among the best in The NFL in getting open, catching and running after the catch.  Get an upgrade at #1 RB, re-sign Risner, sign a placeholder QB, who can be a significantly safer temporary QB to play the 5-6 games if needed, before the rookie can take over, and convince The Wilfs that EVEN if the rookie QB won't be ready (which might not happen)to lead the team (which will still be lower middling on defence) to a playoff spot, the team signing Kirk would be a mistake as pushing his current dead cap money even more into the future, plus adding a bunch more in a new contract to him, would end up hurting the team's chances in the potential Super Bowl competitive window.  Even if they end up just missing the playoffs again, with the money savings, they'll add more talented young players, probably back in the playoffs in year 2, and ready to contend in year 3. 

On 1/12/2024 at 11:14 AM, swede700 said:

Screw the cost of moving up to #3. 
Move up in February (agreement), get the QB at #3. 
Get out of QB purgatory. No expensive QB. Secure your cheap rookie QB for 5 years. Move on from Mullens/Hall with another cheap stop gap veteran. Invest in the rest of the team (OL & DL)

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Screw the cost of moving up to #3. 
Move up in February (agreement), get the QB at #3. 
Get out of QB purgatory. No expensive QB. Secure your cheap rookie QB for 5 years. Move on from Mullens/Hall with another cheap stop gap veteran. Invest in the rest of the team (OL & DL)

certainly one of our top options for Kwesi to cook on, yes.

with this plan, you're saying don't re-sign Cousins, and maybe do re-sign Hunter?

start the rookie right away, or he sits behind the stop gap veteran?

Edited by vike daddy

7 hours ago, Robb_K said:

And there won't be as many high-quality QBs in the draft as there are this year.  The combination of that AND having our 1st pick from 18 to 26 will kill any chances, or cost an inordinate amount of draft capital AND require a really lucky combination of 2 trades up to get high enough.  THIS year is the best time to get the QB, and making him sit for 2 years and waste 2-years of his low-cost window would be a disaster.  Just let Kirk walk to a longer-term, much-much  higher amount of money than we can offer.   Choose a good quality prospect who will benefit greatly from having a coach who is excellent at scheming to get his WRs, and TEs open, and 2 WR who are among the best in The NFL in getting open, catching and running after the catch.  Get an upgrade at #1 RB, re-sign Risner, sign a placeholder QB, who can be a significantly safer temporary QB to play the 5-6 games if needed, before the rookie can take over, and convince The Wilfs that EVEN if the rookie QB won't be ready (which might not happen)to lead the team (which will still be lower middling on defence) to a playoff spot, the team signing Kirk would be a mistake as pushing his current dead cap money even more into the future, plus adding a bunch more in a new contract to him, would end up hurting the team's chances in the potential Super Bowl competitive window.  Even if they end up just missing the playoffs again, with the money savings, they'll add more talented young players, probably back in the playoffs in year 2, and ready to contend in year 3. 

Starting a rookie quarterback for economic reasons is the wrong approach, in my opinion.  The reality of rookie playing like Purdy or Stroud is pretty slim.  Frankly, I hate Green Bay, but their sitting rookies while still playing and paying expensive veterans has worked well for them.  I really think extending Cousins for two years, with an option for a third, while letting the rookie learn, is my preference. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

certainly one of our top options for Kwesi to cook on, yes.

with this plan, you're saying don't re-sign Cousins, and maybe do re-sign Hunter?

start the rookie right away, or he sits behind the stop gap veteran?

Feb - agree to a trade for the #3 pick using #11 + picks. Agree to terms to retain Hunter (no NTC). Tell Kirk, Mullens, Smith, Davenport etc we’re moving on. 

March - sign a DL (Justin Madubuike) and sign a Top OG (Connor Williams), retain Wonnum (if cheaply, due to injury)

April - draft QB at #3, (Jaylen Daniels), after draft sign backup QB (Gardiner Minshew). It’s a “camp battle” but Daniels goes to QB1 very fast. 

July/August - extension to Justin Jefferson completed. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Feb - agree to a trade for the #3 pick using #11 + picks. Agree to terms to retain Hunter (no NTC). Tell Kirk, Mullens, Smith, Davenport etc we’re moving on. 

March - sign a DL (Justin Madubuike) and sign a Top OG (Connor Williams), retain Wonnum (if cheaply, due to injury)

April - draft QB at #3, (Jaylen Daniels), after draft sign backup QB (Gardiner Minshew). It’s a “camp battle” but Daniels goes to QB1 very fast. 

July/August - extension to Justin Jefferson completed. 

My thoughts exactly.