NFL should remove seeding priority from division winners

pf9

Again think about it though. If winning your division didn't guarantee you a home playoff game there would be even more jockeying for seeding. If the Bucs won on Sunday they would not rest their starters the following week because they'd be playing to get as good a seed as possible instead of being locked into the 4 seed in the NFC.

11 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Again think about it though. If winning your division didn't guarantee you a home playoff game there would be even more jockeying for seeding. If the Bucs won on Sunday they would not rest their starters the following week because they'd be playing to get as good a seed as possible instead of being locked into the 4 seed in the NFC.

You just described every single team in the playoffs. 

You think the 49ers or Ravens play starters if the #1 seed is locked up next week? Detroit, Miami or the Eagles if the #2 seed is locked up?

Tampa knows they are playing the NFCE 2nd place team, period. Why should they care? Because Dallas's feeling might get hurt because they SUCK playing on the road? Gimme a break.

If the Cowboys wanted Homefield advantage they shouldn't of lost the last 2 games OR more importantly to a team picking in the top 5 of the NFL draft, probably  #2 overall earlier in the year.

Go on the road to an actual Division Winner, win against that supposed inferior team with the "un quote" worse record or STFU and go home after that loss. Simple as that.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

I get the idea of winning a division meaning something, but I think there’s a limit to it.

The Browns are a good example this year as mentioned when looking at playing a road game vs the AFCS winner. What does winning the AFCS mean exactly?  It’s not a good division.  The Browns went 4-0 against the AFCS this year in fact but in all likelihood will be traveling to the AFCS winner in a couple weeks.

There are 3 teams that are 8-7 that lead the AFCS. 8-7 is the Bengals record and they’re in last place.  Oh, and theyre 0-5 in the division, meaning they’re 8-2 when they get the opportunity to play a non divisional opponent.

Similar situation with Dallas and Tampa.  Dallas has 2 more wins, better conference record, better division record, much better point differential, etc.

I’m all for winning a division being a guarantee for a playoff spot regardless as to how putrid the division is, but I’d love to see some way for non division winners to host playoff games if they have a better season.  Some sort of combination of total wins, strength of schedule, out of division record, point differential, etc.

I just don’t see any reason for division winners to be guaranteed to host other than “because that’s how it’s always been done” or “winning your division matters” when in reality it only matters sometimes. Sometimes you’re just the shiniest turd.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get the idea of winning a division meaning something, but I think there’s a limit to it.

The Browns are a good example this year as mentioned when looking at playing a road game vs the AFCS winner. What does winning the AFCS mean exactly?  It’s not a good division.  The Browns went 4-0 against the AFCS this year in fact but in all likelihood will be traveling to the AFCS winner in a couple weeks.

There are 3 teams that are 8-7 that lead the AFCS. 8-7 is the Bengals record and they’re in last place.  Oh, and theyre 0-5 in the division, meaning they’re 8-2 when they get the opportunity to play a non divisional opponent.

Similar situation with Dallas and Tampa.  Dallas has 2 more wins, better conference record, better division record, much better point differential, etc.

I’m all for winning a division being a guarantee for a playoff spot regardless as to how putrid the division is, but I’d love to see some way for non division winners to host playoff games if they have a better season.  Some sort of combination of total wins, strength of schedule, out of division record, point differential, etc.

I just don’t see any reason for division winners to be guaranteed to host other than “because that’s how it’s always been done” or “winning your division matters” when in reality it only matters sometimes. Sometimes you’re just the shiniest turd.

Shiniest turd like this?

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The refs handed you the win in Indy, let’s be clear. But since it’s so easy to beat AFCS teams you should have no trouble doing it again in January.

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Shiniest turd like this?

You’re both cherry picking the example and missing the point entirely.

Im not arguing upsets can’t happen, I’m saying that 7-9 Seahawks team didn’t earn the right to have home field advantage against a team that won 4 more games in the regular season IMO.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

The refs handed you the win in Indy, let’s be clear.

Let’s also be clear, I didn’t play in that game so they didn’t hand me anything. 😂 

But since it’s so easy to beat AFCS teams

This is straw man, do better.

you should have no trouble doing it again in January.

the point was never that an AFCS team couldn’t win against Cleveland (or anyone else), simply that winning a division shouldn’t necessarily guarantee a home game.  Winning a division is only as impressive as the teams in the division, which sometimes isn’t all that impressive.

• Like 2

I think the division winner regardless of how bad the division is should guarantee them a spot in the playoffs, however once the season is over every team should be reseeded based on overall record/conference record/head to head.

A division winner should not be rewarded with home field in the playoffs just because they play in a bad division and it was easier for them to get there over a WC team who has a better record that plays in a harder division.

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You’re both cherry picking the example and missing the point entirely.

Im not arguing upsets can’t happen, I’m saying that 7-9 Seahawks team didn’t earn the right to have home field advantage against a team that won 4 more games in the regular season IMO.  

I disagree completely.  Adding an extra chance for teams with good records should be good enough.  Why should anyone be the league champion if they can't even win their own division? Wild card is already an extra chance.  They are lucky to have that chance, so they have to go on the road.

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I disagree completely.  Adding an extra chance for teams with good records should be good enough. 

fair enough.

Why should anyone be the league champion if they can't even win their own division?

Because all divisions aren’t equal in strength/difficulty. 

Wild card is already an extra chance.  They are lucky to have that chance, so they have to go on the road.

Just as lucky as those teams who get to play in divisions full of poor teams I suppose.

On 12/25/2023 at 10:29 PM, pf9 said:

The NFL needs to realize that not every division winner is worthy of opening the playoffs at home.

Right now in both conferences there is a non-division leader that has a better record than the leader of another division in the conference.

I'm paying particular attention to Cleveland which is now 10-5 but is in second place in the AFC North while Jacksonville leads the AFC South at 8-7.

The Browns have never hosted a playoff game at their current venue, a result of the NFL not forcing Art Modell to sell the Browns in 1995 while being awarded a version of the Ravens built through an expansion draft. The last home playoff game hosted by the Browns was at the old stadium in 1994.

By removing seeding priority for division winners - something I praise the NBA for - it will make potential playoff teams fight harder to earn a particular seed.

Two interesting scenarios can come from this:

1. A division winner being so bad they are saddled with the 7th seed and thus having no chance at a home playoff game going on to win the Super Bowl.

2. The top two seeds come from the same division, potentially setting up the biggest game in the rivalry's history in the conference championship game.

Before responding consider this. Anyone who claims to be an NFL fan but does not want this is not really an NFL fan.

Had me until the final line. never change pf9

• Like 1