CPOTY

BetterCallSaul

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

True.  But, I mean, is this one that you are going to win just being so freaking terrible that no one wants you and you have a hot 5 games or is this award about something bigger.  I mean, Alex Smith came back from his broken leg and nearly being amputated situations to play 6 games after 2 years to win. They year Smith won in 6 games he also was 67% passer for 1582 yards, 6 TD, 8 INT, 6.3 yards per attempt, all in all kinda terrible. I felt like Hamlin's was in that vein of it didn't matter, he almost died on the field so coming back to do anything was enough.

So to me, Smith is kinda the precedent of that level.  But looking back through the award:

Flacco (out of league), Geno Smith (Bad), Burrow (injury), Smith (injury), Tannehill (bad), Luck (injury), Keenan Allen (Injury), Jordy Nelson (Injury), Eric Berry (Cancer), Gronkowski (Injury), Rivers (Bad), Manning (Injury), Stafford (bad), Vick (Prison), Brady (Injury). Pennington (injury x2), Greg Ellis (Injury), Steve Smith (Injury), Teddy Bruschi (Stroke).

So in the last 20 years of the award 5 times it went to someone who was just terrible the year before, 12 times it was for coming off season ending injuries, 1 time for coming back from prison, 2 times for life threatening conditions.

Not wrong, I was just using Smith because you initially brought up the 5 games being an issue. 

Personally don’t have an issue with whether the comeback is from a bad injury, extreme diversity, or just sucking/being out of the league. I’d have more an issue with someone getting it after doing nothing (which is what I expected this year). 

Shrug. CPOY isn’t something I’d get heated over, period.

• Like 1

Just now, Soko said:

Not wrong, I was just using Smith because you initially brought up the 5 games being an issue. 

Personally don’t have an issue with whether the comeback is from a bad injury, extreme diversity, or just sucking/being out of the league. I’d have more an issue with someone getting it after doing nothing (which is what I expected this year). 

Shrug. CPOY isn’t something I’d get heated over, period.

My point is really I see Smith's lack of games vary different than Flacco's.  I have little issue with it being given over doing little on the field based on what he came back from.  Even if you want it about being what happened on the field Baker was more deserving that Flacco.

10 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Should have been Purdy imo. 

What’d Joe come back from; The breakfast buffet at country kitchen? 

By that criteria (ie, what did they come back from?), Purdy is still obviously not the winner.

1 minute ago, Duluther said:

By that criteria (ie, what did they come back from?), Purdy is still obviously not the winner.

A torn UCL is something to come back from.

Being old and generally bad at football isn’t really in my opinion. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

The fact of the matter is, and yes it is a fact, every year thr Browns are looked at as this super bowl contending Super Team (recent history) and every year they fall flat on their face.

What years were they viewed as Super Bowl contenders and then fell flat on their face? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GW21 said:

A torn UCL is something to come back from.

Being old and generally bad at football isn’t really in my opinion. 

Ok. Purdy is still obviously not the winner. A torn UCL is one thing...

48 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Ok. Purdy is still obviously not the winner. A torn UCL is one thing...

So I assume you’re referring to Damar Hamlin, correct? 

Yes it’s amazing what happened, but his 111 snaps this year and two tackles don’t really scream that he’s ‘back’, whatever that looked like before anyway. 

Anyway, I don’t really care enough to keep going down this rabbit hole. It seems pretty clear to me that your mind is already made up. 

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

So I assume you’re referring to Damar Hamlin, correct? 

Yes it’s amazing what happened, but his 111 snaps this year and two tackles don’t really scream that he’s ‘back’, whatever that looked like before anyway. 

Anyway, I don’t really care enough to keep going down this rabbit hole. It seems pretty clear to me that your mind is already made up. 

Alex Smith won it with just a few snaps, so the precedent exists and your argument is null.

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

Should have been Purdy imo. 

What’d Joe come back from; The breakfast buffet at country kitchen? 

Purdy shouldnt have even been in discussion. He had a fine season last year and suffered an injury in the playoffs. He didnt miss any time.

Flacco winning made a mockery of the award. He played the last six games of the regular season. Yes he played well and got the Browns into the playoffs. The Browns were able to win with their other two backup QBs though. 

Hamlin shouldnt have won considering yes he had a life threatening situation but from an actual football play perspective his impact on the field coming from his life threatening situation wasnt impactful.

My thing is that Baker or Stafford shouldve won. Both QBs were written off this season. As a result both teams were written off. Last season Stafford did suffer major injuries and cut his season short. He came back this season and not only played in all but two games (one was inactive due to rest Week 18) but he played well enough to even get some MVP votes. And both Baker and Stafford led their teams to the playoffs. Stafford nearly had the Rams beating the Lions and Baker did have the Bucs beat the Eagles to advance. So there is something to be said about rewarding players that play the entire grind of the season with a huge impact after having disappointing seasons the previous year and being doubted heading into this season.

Its a shame again Flacco won. That sets the standard that a player (mainly the QB) can sit out most of the season then go on a team with a good coach and good roster, be fresh and have a handful of good to great games get the team in the playoffs and then get handed an award. I promise you that if Flacco played at the start of the season till the end like Baker and Stafford did he wouldnt have won this award. He probably wouldnt have even survived the long grueling season enough to make it to till the end. So this Comeback Player of the Year award moving forward is a joke to me. 

18 hours ago, iknowcool said:

What years were they viewed as Super Bowl contenders and then fell flat on their face? 

Pretty the last several. Come on now..let's not pretend that the 'preseason champs' haven't been overhyped. Maybe SB is an exaggeration, that's fair. But they've definitely been over hyped is my point. 

17 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

That sets the standard that a player (mainly the QB) can sit out most of the season then go on a team with a good coach and good roster, be fresh and have a handful of good to great games get the team in the playoffs and then get handed an award

Do you really suspect this to become a problem? Absurd take.