Would you take lamar jackson over your current QB?

NYCRavensFlock

If this was pre-salary cap, definitely Jackson over Purdy. Now, probably not. If Jackson had proven to be some savant in the postseason with more than only 1 win thus far, maybe. But my perception with this question will really change once the playoffs start if we're talking salary-cap era. The 49ers aren't in the spot they are, or will be for the next couple of seasons without that rookie-contract cheat code. Jackson is getting this praise after the win against the 49ers, as he should, but it's hard to turn immediately turn my back on the operation the 49ers have going for them right now. It really feels like a team in the pre-cap era. That's a crazy advantage to have when trying to win a Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Soggust said:

If Jackson wins the MVP, he's clearly the 2nd best QB in football imo.

You could maybe argue contracts and injuries, but he's got the next best resume after Mahomes imo (and Rodgers obv but age and recency).

Resume wise, no doubt, but Lamar has been MIA as far as that debate goes since his MVP season. Would one year (particularly one where the “reigning” #2 guy is injured) be enough to vault one from out of the top 5ish into solid #2?

2 hours ago, Soko said:

Resume wise, no doubt, but Lamar has been MIA as far as that debate goes since his MVP season. Would one year (particularly one where the “reigning” #2 guy is injured) be enough to vault one from out of the top 5ish into solid #2?

I was thinking the reigning #2 guy's case is built on two elite years, similarly to Lamar, except one has recency bias, but I think this is a fair question.

I do believe that coaches from the Shanny/Kubiak line prefer robot QBs who are extremely precise in going through their progressions over a talented gunslinger who will ad lib at times. 

They believe their scheme and playcalling are so advanced that they don't want the QB interfering with the process. And in many cases they are right. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If your team isn't:

1. KC
  2. BUF
  3. SF (Purdy's contract, mainly)
  4. CIN
  5. DAL
  6. MIA(?)

You're lying.

I think you probably have to put Houston in there as well right now. Contract and he looks legit 

• Like 1