2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

21 hours ago, NickButera said:

And we've lost 7 players to free agency this far. All contributors or starters. 

Nichols, Jacobs, elumenor, Hooper, amik, parker, (and Tyler hall, but meh) 

And cut 4.... Renfrow, Jimmy, Hoyer and Tillery. 

It's not a lot, but we've certainly lost more talent than gained. We're definitely not better off at this point. The remaining free agents we can find a bit of depth, but there aren't many starters out there. 

Man, I’m not so sure. White replaced Jacobs production last year fairly easily and the addition of Wilkins alone is far, far superior to Tillery and Nicholls and probably helps the LBs and DBs.

Garoppolo and Hoyer are addition by subtraction.

The big losses for me are Eluemunor, Amik and Hall. Eluemunor to me is a very valuable piece and I really liked Amik. Hall played pretty sparingly but I thought he had talent but let’s also not act like they can’t be replaced relatively cheaply and easily. I would have liked to keep Eluemunor as a swing tackle and Amik as a backup CB but neither are keystones. 

I loved Renfrow but he couldn’t justify his wage, I’d bring him back for a significant pay cut though. Hooper is a bog standard TE and we have a potential star there imo.

Munford and Wagner I think have some potential to be good, Facyson is coming back from injury and Graham specifically wanted him and we still have draft and second/third wave of FA for positions like backup TE, swing OT, CB and slot WR. 

Im pretty optimistic 😀

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Man, I’m not so sure. White replaced Jacobs production last year fairly easily and the addition of Wilkins alone is far, far superior to Tillery and Nicholls and probably helps the LBs and DBs.

The big losses for me are Eluemunor, Amik and Hall. Eluemunor to me is a very valuable piece and I really liked Amik. Hall played pretty sparingly but I thought he had talent but let’s also not act like they can’t be replaced relatively cheaply and easily. I would have liked to keep Eluemunor as a swing tackle and Amik as a backup CB but neither are keystones. 

I loved Renfrow but he couldn’t justify his wage, I’d bring him back for a significant pay cut though. Hooper is a big standard TE and we have a potential star there imo.

Munford and Wagner I think have some potential to be good, Facyson is coming back from injury and Graham specifically wanted him and we still have draft and second/third wave of FA for positions like backup TE, swing OT, CB and slot WR. 

Im pretty optimistic 😀

Agreed. We haven’t lost anything difficult to replace and have a load of money still to fill any holes and tie down the foundation of the team by re-signing some of the starters on 1 year deals.

Also remember hearing a podcast where they were saying how poor and small the Chargers scouting team was compared to ours so their ability to find later round gems and see potential in lower level FAs was hindered. That and their facilities are terrible so it was never an attractive place for late FAs, who can chose their situation and possibly UDFAs too.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NickButera said:

Just remember, the Chargers' BIGGEST downfall and the only downside to Telesco that can be reasonably assumed is truly his fault.....was he built a top heavy roster that had no depth and couldn't sustain any hiccups during the season, like the injuries. 

So, awesome, we gave up 11 players who were starters, contributors and depth players for basically 1 star and two backups. Obviously it's not done. But if it's perfectly fair to judge the moment by the words "this looks familiar"

Their two biggest issues was the owner being cheap on head coaches, and horrible luck with injuries 

4 hours ago, reddevil said:

Agreed. We haven’t lost anything difficult to replace and have a load of money still to fill any holes and tie down the foundation of the team by re-signing some of the starters on 1 year deals.

Also remember hearing a podcast where they were saying how poor and small the Chargers scouting team was compared to ours so their ability to find later round gems and see potential in lower level FAs was hindered. That and their facilities are terrible so it was never an attractive place for late FAs, who can chose their situation and possibly UDFAs too.

Now this is really interesting and something is not really considered. It’s a nuance that could play a big factor, eye opening for sure!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I loved Renfrow but he couldn’t justify his wage, I’d bring him back for a significant pay cut though. Hooper is a big standard TE and we have a potential star there imo.

Im pretty optimistic 😀

Agree with this, id have liked to keep Eleumunor but wouldn’t pay $7m for a swing tackle. We’ve got a lot of cash to make further moves, I’m optimistic at this stage too..😬

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 1:15 AM, Darbsk said:

I loved Renfrow but he couldn’t justify his wage, I’d bring him back for a significant pay cut though. Hooper is a bog standard TE and we have a potential star there imo.

Im pretty optimistic 😀

PFF had Munford ranked hight than Elu for what it's worth.  Fracyson might be an upgrade to Amik. I liked Hall but he was a 4th/5th CB at best- Bennett and Webb are that same tier. They have a chance to step up 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

so we paid 1.9m to Mattison and 1.8m to Abdullah, I would have preferred to use that money on a starting RG. RBs easy to find in the draft 

Where do you see the Mattison $? If it is only $1.9 then that is an awesome deal for a solid RB2.

The interior OL market was stupid this off season. No chance you're getting anything close to a starting G for ~$3M.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

so we paid 1.9m to Mattison and 1.8m to Abdullah, I would have preferred to use that money on a starting RG. RBs easy to find in the draft 

Dude we have 24M if there was a starting RG we wanted to pay we could. Mattison and Abdullah contract does not even matter. Smh!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Where do you see the Mattison $? If it is only $1.9 then that is an awesome deal for a solid RB2.

The interior OL market was stupid this off season. No chance you're getting anything close to a starting G for ~$3M.

I crapped on the Mattison signing, however if it really is $1.9m then it’s all gravy. I’m absolutely ok with it. I assumed it was going to be like twice that lol 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I crapped on the Mattison signing, however if it really is $1.9m then it’s all gravy. I’m absolutely ok with it. I assumed it was going to be like twice that lol 

18 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's on sportstrac 

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for this second wave of free agency that everyone alluded to after week 1. But we haven't made any moves, and we appear to be waiting to fill the remainder of our wholes u til after the draft? There certainly aren't going to be any quality players other than stop gaps at that point. 

Really disappointed at how Telesco's first free agency went. We made 1 amazing signing, and then radio silence.