2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

We have 18 mil after accounting for rookie draft class plus 24 mil added after June 1st.. so we can definitely scour the free agent and trade market.. A vet CB should be a priority add, whether it’s Nelson, Gilmore, Howard or Adoree.. That would make Facyson, Bennett and Richardson solid depth.. Then Bennett or Richardson as a possible starter in 2025. I think adding one more Vet DE like Dupree and a vet WR would be a good add because if something were to happen to Adams or Jakobi, the cupboard is pretty thin.. I know Bowers will be a Swiss Army knife lining up outside and in the slot at times, but if we added a Boyd, Beckham or Gallup, we’d have a solid third option.

35 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Koonce and hobbs must be resigned(unless theres a regression of some sort). outside of that the others can go. I would like to have Spillaine back but Eichenberg makes him expendable in a year. 

That said we can probably get some of them for a bargain. for example, butler and Epps will be 30. that said butlers more of a luxery at this point. and Moerig is replaceble by Polo Mao and/or potentially the 7th rounder taylor. I also want to see what Christopher Smith does in year 2. So its not as bad as people think

I don't think Moehrig is easily replaceable. He was fantastic last year. Teams didn't really complete deep passes on him at all. I think if he plays anywhere close to that he deserves a big deal. Agree on epps/Butler, hoping to resign both. 

Also, Spillane was very good last year. Idk if we can expect a late round rookie to come in and immediately replace him.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think Moehrig is easily replaceable. He was fantastic last year. Teams didn't really complete deep passes on him at all. I think if he plays anywhere close to that he deserves a big deal. Agree on epps/Butler, hoping to resign both. 

Also, Spillane was very good last year. Idk if we can expect a late round rookie to come in and immediately replace him.

I do. 1. Safety is not a premium position in the NFL anymore due to the rise of the two deep safeties that it's causing teams not to go deep as much. Also look at how many safeties are available out there currently:

Jamal Adams

Justin Simmons 

Eddie Jackson 

Marcus Maye 

Quandre Diggs 

Tracy Walker 

Micah Hyde

That shows you how important the NFL thinks safeties are. On top of that we actually have depth at the position with Polo Mao Christopher Smith and now the other guy who we just drafted in the 7th(who probably only fell because he played for the army). 

In terms of Spillane as great as he played last year he's not like a premium talent at the position to where he can't be replaced so what really talking about is can someone replace his instinct and intelligence. Well luckily for us we are actually happened to draft someone who is essentially a carbon copy of him that would just simply need to learn Patrick Graham's defense. Dad said I could see Splaine coming back for cheap as he loves Antonio Pierce. I was just simply saying that it's not as dire as it looks when it comes to linebacker(which is the canon fodder defensive position of the NFL)

Edited by Jeremy408

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

My biggest concern is for all the defensive starters we have that will be FA next year.

Epps 
Moehrig

Hobbs

Deablo

Spillane

Koonce

Butler

That's a good chunk DL rotation, 3/5 of our secondary, and all of our starting LB. Definitely a big cause for concern IMHO if we aren't able to resign some of these guys. Bolded have to come back IMHO and at least 1/2 of the LB's. Do we think anyone emerges that could knock one of these guys off? 

Jimmy's 20 mil opens up June 1. I have a feeling we'll be using some of that for re-signings. 

• Like 3

It’s too bad we panicked and signed Gardner Minshew on Day 2 of FA. Ryan Tannehill is still available as a FA and he is better than Minshew (even at this late stage of his career). I would prefer to have him as the elder statesman in the QB room over Minshew. Tannehill has proven he can win in this league if pressed into action and would be a better mentor to AOC in the process. Just an unforgivable blunder by our FO. 

4 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

It’s too bad we panicked and signed Gardner Minshew on Day 2 of FA. Ryan Tannehill is still available as a FA and he is better than Minshew (even at this late stage of his career). I would prefer to have him as the elder statesman in the QB room over Minshew. Tannehill has proven he can win in this league if pressed into action and would be a better mentor to AOC in the process. Just an unforgivable blunder by our FO. 

He really isn’t. Tannehill was almost unplayable last year before being benched. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Either way we’ll be getting bottom 3 QB play so might as well go the cheaper route. 

I guess. I would rather have Minshew than Tanne but I do agree in not being excited by the QB position as it stands. 

Edited by FloydFan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I guess. I would rather have Minshew than Tanne but I do agree in not being excited by the QB position as it stands. 

My enthusiasm for the year is completely sapped by the state of our QB room. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Tannehill is awful at this stage of his career. Like really, really bad. 

3 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Tannehill is washed. He would have been a blunder.

• Like 1

Regarding Minshew, I think he gives you enough improvisation/mobility to think that he will start over AOC. He isn't a great deep thrower but this is going to be a short (Bowers/Mayer/Laube) to intermediate (Adams/Meyers) offense.

31 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Regarding Minshew, I think he gives you enough improvisation/mobility to think that he will start over AOC. He isn't a great deep thrower but this is going to be a short (Bowers/Mayer/Laube) to intermediate (Adams/Meyers) offense.

But he was 3rd in the NFL in 40 plus yard pass completions.

• Like 1