2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

On 7/15/2024 at 8:58 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

I feel really good with Jack Jones on one side and Hobbs in the slot. However CB3 is an enormous question mark. Can Faycson bounce back after injury? Does Bennett step up? Do one of our rookies show out and steal a spot?

I personally hope we sign one of Stephon Gilmore, Steven Nelson or Xavien Howard. The fact Justin Simmons is still out there blows my mind too. 

I like that they have confidence in the young guys, but Gilmore/Howard would be a massive upgrade at this point. I don't think Richardson is ready and Facyson/Bennett probably could give you at best average/serviceable play, but I'm not there yet.

24 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I like that they have confidence in the young guys, but Gilmore/Howard would be a massive upgrade at this point. I don't think Richardson is ready and Facyson/Bennett probably could give you at best average/serviceable play, but I'm not there yet.

Given Howard’s current legal issues and previous history of domestic battery I’ll be surprised if we are interested in him.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/40298947/xavien-howard-sent-explicit-content-ex-son

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I believe Jones can be a decent #2 with Hobbs in the slot but we are lacking a true #1.  I wonder if J. Alexander or Lattimore would be available and what it would take to land one of them.  I would give up at 2 for either of them as both are still in there prime and when healthy are top 10 CB's. 

Either of them could bring the D together and I would finally be optimistic that they would field a top 15 D.  

10 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would finally be optimistic that they would field a top 15 D.  

Man, I get being pessimistic.  However, you really feel we need to get Lattimore or Alexander to be an average defense? 

15 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think it is still possible Jack Jones develops into a #1 corner. Only entering his 3rd season. Still I think we will add a vet CB at some point during TC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 101Raider said:

Man, I get being pessimistic.  However, you really feel we need to get Lattimore or Alexander to be an average defense? 

This D has a ton of questions, still very little proven, above average talent and over a 20 year track record of being a bottom 3 D.

Wilkins will help but outside of him and Maxx we don't have much in terms of proven, above average talent.  

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

This D has a ton of questions, still very little proven, above average talent and over a 20 year track record of being a bottom 3 D.

Wilkins will help but outside of him and Maxx we don't have much in terms of proven, above average talent.  

I think the defense doesn’t have a lot of questions marks like last year.

The biggest question is whether they can repeat or build off last years jump after AP took over as HC. We do need another CB to emerge in the group, it is why they drafted two this season. 

Im interested in the trend of young players emerging after a 2nd season under Patrick Graham like Diablo, Hobbs, Moerhig, Koonce and Robertson did. 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I think the defense doesn’t have a lot of questions marks like last year.

The biggest question is whether they can repeat or build off last years jump after AP took over as HC. We do need another CB to emerge in the group, it is why they drafted two this season. 

Im interested in the trend of young players emerging after a 2nd season under Patrick Graham like Diablo, Hobbs, Moerhig, Koonce and Robertson did. 

People will be surprised when they don't without realizing that majority of the success that group had came against backup QBs. I think they are somewhere in the middle personally.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

People will be surprised when they don't without realizing that majority of the success that group had came against backup QBs. I think they are somewhere in the middle personally.

The defense had good performances against the best offenses in the NFL last season. Forced 3 turnovers against Miami and Detroit both games. Only the Bills game and the 1st Chiefs game they had a rough time

On 7/20/2024 at 2:18 PM, Dessie said:

Given Howard’s current legal issues and previous history of domestic battery I’ll be surprised if we are interested in him.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/40298947/xavien-howard-sent-explicit-content-ex-son

Yikes I didn't know about this. Gilmore is still a pretty decent starting corner (probably a 2 at this point).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This was true without Wilkins but you would think his presence would push the DL into a very good group and elevate the defense. Or at least that's what he's being paid to do.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 2:01 PM, bucksavage1 said:

The defense had good performances against the best offenses in the NFL last season. Forced 3 turnovers against Miami and Detroit both games. Only the Bills game and the 1st Chiefs game they had a rough time

Yeah we were literally top 15 last year.

Edited by raidr4life

On 7/21/2024 at 7:13 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

Zero chance of this happening but if you were our GM would you trade Adams straight up for Aiyuk?  He is 26 and would be getting paid similar to what we are paying Adams.  

I’d 100% prefer picks so we could go after go after a QB. 

I also don’t think Aiyuk is going to be a great return on investment on either a high draft pick or that contract he’s going to get, much less both. Would prefer to keep our picks and go after a Higgins type next year if we end up trading Adams.

However, in a vacuum with no other options, I’d do the trade. I’m really worried about Adams age and ending up with nothing to show for it. 

Edited by 101Raider
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2024 at 6:13 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

Zero chance of this happening but if you were our GM would you trade Adams straight up for Aiyuk?  He is 26 and would be getting paid similar to what we are paying Adams.  

I would be trying to trade Meyers and a mid rounder for Aiyuk. Aiyuk and Tae would be nice, and if we would have our WR1 if we trade Tae at the deadline. It would suck to trade Tae to the 9ers and that is the missing piece to give them the title. We would look like the biggest clowns helping a rival. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1