2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

The other intriguing thing with Drafting James versus someone like Minkah, is that James can be a Skinny Backer, along with Tartt. Tartt can also play the Single High safety spot. 

I wouldn't love the James pick, but would love the Player. 

I would like James as well, I know I have mentioned him before, but I think his hype is starting to warm up a little bit and he could possibly go before Fitzpatrick. I know hype might not be the right word, but it seems like a lot of mock drafts have him inching closer and closer to the top. In regards to Davenport, I know some of you have already mentioned it, but he just seems too raw for me. If we go after our LEO in the first or second, I think it’s either going to be Landry or Sweat (in the second). Just my 2 cents...

10 hours ago, John232 said:

The other intriguing thing with Drafting James versus someone like Minkah, is that James can be a Skinny Backer, along with Tartt. Tartt can also play the Single High safety spot. 

I wouldn't love the James pick, but would love the Player. 

I'm working on a mock right now... may never finish it. When I do mocks, I do all the teams.. logos and all. Again, probably won't even finish it.. but I have James going 10 to Oakland as a LB/S. I don't know how likely that is.. but so what.. my mock! :P  I think James could evolve into a Deion Jones or.. more appropriately.. a Thomas Davis convert. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I'm working on a mock right now... may never finish it. When I do mocks, I do all the teams.. logos and all. Again, probably won't even finish it.. but I have James going 10 to Oakland as a LB/S. I don't know how likely that is.. but so what.. my mock! :P  I think James could evolve into a Deion Jones or.. more appropriately.. a Thomas Davis convert. 

Which might be why I have warmed up to the idea of drafting him...he probably isn't limited to just DB. As I have read others put it...James could be a "movable chess piece" on the Defense.

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Which might be why I have warmed up to the idea of drafting him...he probably isn't limited to just DB. As I have read others put it...James could be a "movable chess piece" on the Defense.

If we want that type of guy who can play safety and play some LB, why don't we just re-sign Eric Reid? Just to cost-control James for the next five years? I haven't watched much of him. Can he really be a high impact player, a playmaker wherever he lines up on defense, or is he just a guy who's very versatile and can plug holes? I mean, looking at his stats, he doesn't really look like a ballhawk, with 3 INTS in 3 years. His tackles for loss and the 4.5 sacks he had as a freshman are intriguing. And he's always racked up a lot of tackles. 

Okay, I just read his draft profile on NFL.com, and that's an impressive write-up. Still I don't feel he really fills a need for us. He's a guy who could fit on any team, but he's just not someone I think our staff will strongly consider. I wouldn't be shocked if we draft a DB in the second round or later, but in the first, I feel like we're narrowing it down to pass rusher, at this point. I'm a BPA guy, so I hope we can find a trade partner, because I feel that's the best possible outcome for our front office. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

If we want that type of guy who can play safety and play some LB, why don't we just re-sign Eric Reid? Just to cost-control James for the next five years? I haven't watched much of him. Can he really be a high impact player, a playmaker wherever he lines up on defense, or is he just a guy who's very versatile and can plug holes? I mean, looking at his stats, he doesn't really look like a ballhawk, with 3 INTS in 3 years. His tackles for loss and the 4.5 sacks he had as a freshman are intriguing. And he's always racked up a lot of tackles. 

Okay, I just read his draft profile on NFL.com, and that's an impressive write-up. Still I don't feel he really fills a need for us. He's a guy who could fit on any team, but he's just not someone I think our staff will strongly consider. I wouldn't be shocked if we draft a DB in the second round or later, but in the first, I feel like we're narrowing it down to pass rusher, at this point. I'm a BPA guy, so I hope we can find a trade partner, because I feel that's the best possible outcome for our front office. 

Yes, this.  Nobody suggests moving Earl Thomas to LB. They didn't draft Mailk Hooker thinking "he's versatile". I "tweener" S/LB is a nice piece to have on a team. I like James in that role.  But just looking at positional value I'm not sure that's worth a 9th overall pick. If he doesn't have the potential to become a pro bowl safety I'm not interested in him.

Having said that, I like him, but do have some worries.  It's often hard to find film of a guy's bad plays.  What we see is highlights, not lowlights. But I noticed him in a few plays where he looked pretty bad in the open field.  Took bad angles to the ball or just got faked out by the runner. The problem is that you can probably see that from everyone over the course of a season.. If it's the only two plays like that all year, then I figure so what. But if it shows a weakness in his game then I'm worried. Last thing I want is a safety that can't play well in space or tackle well in the open field. I have zero worries about Denzel Ward being a really good corner. I have zero worries about Roquan Smith being a really good LB. I have zero worries about Quentin Nelson being really good. At number 9 I want a "can't miss" type of guy. If I'm going on versatility then I'd consider Edmunds. He can cover receivers almost as well as James, get us a few sacks by blitzing up the middle or even moving outside occasionally, but mostly I think will be a solid LB - and we need that more than we need a S. Tartt and Colbert  are better than Harold and Smith and Lee and Coyle and Watson and ... well I'll bet you can't even name all the rest.

Considering the amount that teams stay in their NON-base defenses.. ( often 70% of the time nowadays ) ...

it can be very much be worth it, imho. @big9erfan

... and no one suggested moving Thomas because of his size... or Hooker, because he wasn't nearly as adept at run defense. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It's being reported we are meeting with Byron Pringle, WR Kansas St.  Not excited about that. 

Yeah, I commented on that a while back. He's undraftable for me. I have no interest. 

6 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Considering the amount that teams stay in their NON-base defenses.. ( often 70% of the time nowadays ) ...

it can be very much be worth it, imho. @big9erfan

... and no one suggested moving Thomas because of his size... or Hooker, because he wasn't nearly as adept at run defense.

Yep. I agree with that. But that's why I like Edmunds. He can play the run but he's a great coverage lb too. I just think our lb corps is worse than our safeties so if I want a guy that can play both the run and the pass that I can leave on the field all the time I'd like his primary spot to be lb not s. Besides I still harbor that dream that Edmunds can get us 5 to 10 sacks a year playing out of the lb spot and I'm never going to blitz James enough for that to happen with him. 

Archived