2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

I know you like him and I know you think he would be a waste in our system. But I don't agree. "The system" doesn't depend on big corners. It depends on shutdown corners who can take their man out of the play and let the other guys concentrate on the rest of the offense. I think he can do that in whatever system he's in. 

42 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

That's how I feel about safety. If we draft either Fitz or James Im gonna lose it. Im not enamored with either of them. I just feel like Colbert showed more than enough promise as as a rookie. And with Tartt, Ward, and possibly Reid coming back, there's enough talent there already. Its the position I'm the LEAST concerned about heading into the new season. Even more so than Jimmy G. And I don't think Fitz or James succeeds@CB in the pros. They both look and play like safeties IMO.

I like Fitz as an outside CB or slot CB.. and James would make an awesome Nickel LB that can be an effective S in base. 

I'd be happy with either. 

9 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Id be thrilled. He's one of only a handful our guys that i see as elite prospects. I'm not convinced he'd be our pick but i would love if he was.

Couldn’t disagree although he may not be a perfect fit I think he has elite talent traits and could make it work but don’t see us going that route 

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah I'm just glad he didn't mock us McG then I'd be concerned that every big media mockster is doing the same.

I like Ward, and feel he's a top 20 guy, but I wouldn't be all that excited. Even less excited by McG at #9.

With the obvious QBs off the board, this would probably be my prioritized list:

Quenton Nelson
Bradley Chubb

Saquon Barkley 

Minkah Fitzpatrick
  Derwin James
  Roquan Smith
  Harold Landry

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Id be thrilled. He's one of only a handful our guys that i see as elite prospects. I'm not convinced he'd be our pick but i would love if he was.

Yeah, I'd be down with Denzel, too. The guy is a great talent, and much tougher than people seem to give him credit for. If the team thinks they can make good use of his talents, that's good enough for me. I think he's going to star for someone. May as well be the 49ers.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Well, if we draft either, I assume that we can pretty much put the kabosh on Reid coming back. They've made it seem like Ward is back to corner, and honestly, he wasn't all that good at safety. Colbert was solid, if unspectacular there last year, and it's still a small sample size from a 7th round choice. Ward and Tartt are also free agents heading into next year. This could be a set up where Minkah plays a swiss army knife position this year (slot, outside, safety), then settles into the FS role next year with Colbert shifting over to SS and Tartt out the door (this would surprise me given what we have heard about the staff loving Tartt, but it's certainly on the table). Minkah bothers me less in this regard because he does play corner. Whether he can play the boundary is an unknown, of course. 

I hear everything your saying but I'm still 'meh' with that scenario and with either player@9. The likelihood of us picking top 10 in the near future is slim. We need this pick to address a hole, a clear weakness on either side of the ball hopefully impact the team immediately rather than down the road. Not a fan of adding more talent to a group that's pretty solid. If he's their BPA, so be it. But even if we go LB, with Foster's injury history and off-field prowless, that moves the needle more than adding another safety. Smith and Foster together improves the front seven and our coverage, leaps and bounds over adding another DB. 

And i say this as a person who is not a believer in Fitz as slot CB or any CB for that matter. What he is best at, playing downhill, in and around the LOS. Blitzing, reading the QB, breaking on the ball in front of him are safety attributes. I project him as a FS. I think he'll be a very good FS but again, I'm higher on Colbert than most so I don't necessarily see the need there. 

Matt did a full mock draft for the first round and he had the niners drafting Minkah. 

9, 49ERS: DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
Versatile. High character. Great leader. Jimmie Ward and Jaquiski Tartt are both entering the final year of their contracts. He fits an immediate need, too. What’s not to like about this pick? With Reuben Foster’s status being uncertain, either Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds would make a lot of sense

Archived