2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I'd still rather us go after Justin Pugh and target Price in a trade back but I feel much better about taking Nelson@9/10 than I did top 5. I think he's getting overhyped just a bit but he's still a very good prospect.

I like Nelson at 9 or 10.  The only argument that give me pause is the option to sign a reaaly good FA G and then go after another position at 9 or 10.  We have several holes to fill. I hope we fill one or two of them in free agency.  Then we can try to target the other needs in the draft. So whether Nelson is a viable option for us at 9 or 10 just depends on who we go after in free agency.

The only position I'd prefer at 9 or 10 would be a great edge rusher.  I'm just not sure I see anyone that is as certain to be really good at that spot as Nelson is to be.  If our team finds that guy, then fine. Otherwise I'm leaning towards Nelson.

Just read an article saying that Darnold is leaning towards going back to USC for another year.,  He might have played himself right out of the top draft pick with the performance against Ohio State.  The money is still there this year if he wants it, but it's clear that he needs a lot more work.

What do you guys think of Iowa's Josh Jackson? Seems to be widely rated as the second CB after Fitzpatrick and might be available at our spot. Not sure we should draft a corner that high, just want to keep the options open.

And since Draftbreakdown will be down soon, where do you get all the tape now? 

What worries me about Jackson is how high he gets in his backpedal. He constantly seems like he's going to tip over and fall on his ***. I'll be watching the combine for that and to see how loose his hips can be but I figure he would be a good fit in our system.

31 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

What do you guys think of Iowa's Josh Jackson? Seems to be widely rated as the second CB after Fitzpatrick and might be available at our spot. Not sure we should draft a corner that high, just want to keep the options open.

And since Draftbreakdown will be down soon, where do you get all the tape now? 

I'm curious to see how he tests in the combine. If he quick, fluid and a proven ballhawk then I'd be all for it. 

14 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'm curious to see how he tests in the combine. If he quick, fluid and a proven ballhawk then I'd be all for it. 

Very big for Jackson. I think he tests poorly, but others think he'll test great. Not an end all be all, of course, but I'm there with you

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Darnold just entered the draft. So I think at least three QBs go talk 10, possibly four depending on how teams rate Mayfield. 

Agreed. Broncos have been following both he and Allen. The jets may take the leftover

On 1/3/2018 at 12:47 PM, straighthate said:

I’d draft interior line top 10 before RB only because the difference between a top 10 RB and a second round RB isn’t great enough in my opinion as compared to some other positions.  And I think RB seems to be the position with the most late round gems.  I think the difference between a top 10 lineman and a second round one is huge though. 

Obviously just a general opinion and there’s certainly plenty of exceptions.

edit:  Just looked at the original pro bowl selections this year and of the RB, 2 of 6 or 33% were first round selections.  Of the interior lineman 6 of 10 or 60% were first round selections.

Boy, if that’s not proof then what is! 

Don't look at Pro Bowl rosters. Like ever.

On 1/3/2018 at 10:02 AM, big9erfan said:

Just read an article saying that Darnold is leaning towards going back to USC for another year.,  He might have played himself right out of the top draft pick with the performance against Ohio State.  The money is still there this year if he wants it, but it's clear that he needs a lot more work.

Fake news obviously 

22 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, Jackson is good. I don't think Fitzpatrick will be available, but we should have our choice between Ward or Jackson.

I actually think both could turn out better. Alabama players always get so much press its hard tho tell about them. Fitz is really good. But so is Jackson, and he's more of a ball hawk. And I love wards ability to stick like glue to guys. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Fake news obviously 

There was a lot of talk about him going back from multiple sources. I said it in the draft forum as recently as a few days ago that I was only 60/40 on him coming out because of the rumors. But lets be real - he never cost himself any money with any of those performances. He was always going in the top 5 and still had a realistic shot at being #1, especially since the Browns and Rosen don't appear to be a match based on each party's comments. I mean, it still sounds like Allen is going to be a top 10 guy potentially, which is insane given the year he just had. If Allen still has a viable option at being in the top 10, there's no way Darnold was going to suffer a major tumble. 

Archived