2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I'm still low key salty about not drafting Carl Lawson with our fourth round pick. 

I didn't love him, I'll admit. I had him graded slightly higher than a 4th round pick, but I know some people had him as a first / second round guy. Great pick by the Bengals. 

On 12/27/2017 at 2:48 PM, Geek said:

Thoughts on Marcus Davenport at LEO? Rumor is that multiple execs think he goes top 15.

A little raw...but fast, twitchy, super freaking long, already holds up well against the run...I was a little surprised when I read that as well, but then I thought about it, and I can easily see that happen. I Think the senior bowl will be important to quell level of competition concerns. If he performs well at the practices, I could see top 10 even. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

See, and my problem is how highly I value Jimmy G against a very limited sample size. As a team that once had the guy who could become "the greatest quarterback in NFL history", I think everyone would understand that. There is no shortage of guys who have looked amazing and then flatlined or regressed soon after. People forget how good Andy Dalton looked after his second and third seasons. Derek Carr as well.  It's a really tempting offer all the way around. It's harder mainly because I don't love this draft at the top, so picks 1 and 4 just don't excite me as much as they would in a typical draft, which is why I went with the players I did in my scenario, because they are the most likely to hit, in my opinion (honestly, wouldn't be wholly shocked if this draft class ends up similar to 2013). If it didn't involve Cousins, Its an easy no for me, but Cousins has been largely devalued for some reason. He's struggled at times this season, and he's still having a very nice year with a lot of problems going on with that Washington offense (injuries to o-line, no run game, no reed, pryor being a bust). In truth, this is one of his more impressive seasons despite the struggles. Still throws some bonehead interceptions though. 

There is one aspect of Jimmy's limited success though that hasn't really been replicated before. The deck was completely stacked against him coming and putting up the kind of production he has already. He isn't a rookie, but he basically has only been with the 49ers a month and a half. In that time frame he's had to learn a completely new offense which took Matt Ryan over a year to get down. He's also playing with a largely lackluster supporting cast. This was all done during the middle of the regular season which is the most remarkable thing about the entire affair. I don't think we've seen this in the NFL before. We have seen guys come in like Romo or Brady, take over, and then play well. However those guys were with the same team and trained in the same offseason workouts. 

I can't imagine Kirk Cousins coming here in the middle of the season and doing the same thing. And he already had experience working with Shanahan. 

i am in love with Tavarus McFadden and Josh Jackson.

I seriously doubt that they will re-sign Donte Johnson, and lets be honest, who will miss him after this season?

and either of these guys can play in the current scheme (since it favors big physical, rangy corners with ball skills)

I'm thinking both of these guys will be around at #8 and corner is a DEFINITE need.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I didn't love him, I'll admit. I had him graded slightly higher than a 4th round pick, but I know some people had him as a first / second round guy. Great pick by the Bengals. 

I thought the injury stuff pushed him down quite a bit, I'm also a bit leery about Auburn pass rushers, but I thought he was perfect for us in the fourth round...but alas..we unintentionally Baalke'd it. 

Spent the last hour watching some of the bigger receivers in this draft class. Auden Tate, Cobbs and St. Brown have caught my eye more so than anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Pandomonium said:

i am in love with Tavarus McFadden and Josh Jackson.

I seriously doubt that they will re-sign Donte Johnson, and lets be honest, who will miss him after this season?

and either of these guys can play in the current scheme (since it favors big physical, rangy corners with ball skills)

I'm thinking both of these guys will be around at #8 and corner is a DEFINITE need.

Haven't watched any McFadden, but no one with that last name has ever amounted to anything in the NFL, so I'm not sure about him. . 

With that said, I watched some Josh Jackson highlights and really liked what I saw. If I had to choose between him or Minkah Fitzpatrcik, I obviously go Minkah, but I think Josh Jackson could be very good in his own right. He looked extremely comfortable and fluid in man coverage plays. Great frame for our scheme too. 

What traits do you guys think shanahan looks for in RBs? I've heard people talk about scheme fit but I've yet to see a great analysis of what those specific traits are. 

From best I can tell, kyle values quickness/explosiveness. He wants a guy who can hit the hole fast and hard once a crease develops, especially in those stretch zone concept plays. It also seems like he values someone who has the vision and cutting ability to find the cut back lanes. Someone who is dangerous in space, can catch the ball, but can manuver through traffic. I'm not sure how much he really looks for someone with power. Would you guys agree with this and is there anything I'm missing? 

I am also wondering how well Bryce love would fit in here because he seems to have a lot of traits I outlined above. He's got great feet and just needs a small crease and he's off to the races. I wonder if he will be there with our second pick? Or if there are some other late round RBs we should look at. Love is undersized and might fall for that reason. He might even fall to the 4th, idk

I have no idea what happens with Hyde, we may let him test the market which is usually a sign we don't really want to retain a guy. I'm somewhat indifferent but I do feel like he has developed nicely this year. If he was a WR I wouldn't mind keeping him around as a #2 #3 considering that there are always multiple WRs running routes and he is a pretty solid player, but as one of one running backs with the ball in his hands, I'm not sure that kyle looks at him as the guy. I think regardless we will be drafting someone and will have Joe williams coming back. Breida has shown some promise as well but I feel like we are going be looking to add a dynamic playmaker there. 

I also feel like we are going to find a few late round gems on offense that will somehow slip through the cracks. The kinds of guys that when we draft them that everyone in our division will go 'uh oh, here comes kyle and the 49ers' 

I think Hyde's problem is still the dancing. He's not the most decisive behind the OL. There's a game recently during which the analyst was showing a play and talking about how much steps Hyde is taking, like 5 or 6 wasted steps before hitting the hole. On that play he did hit the hole, but he managed to do so with power and athleticism rather than decisiveness. Who knows, if he hits it right away, maybe he breaks through the second level and takes it to the house. That indecisiveness also hurts the outside runs more than anything. Can you guys recall his last good outside stretch run? It has probably happened, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, but it's just not frequent enough. 

I don't think Kyle is only looking for quick guys. He had success with Alfred Morris, who isn't the fastest guy out there. I agree it's mostly about vision. Bryce Love has insane vision and toughness between the tackles, I'm sure he'd be amazing in our offense, but he's Breida's size, so maybe the staff would like to add someone bigger to the mix. Joe Williams is what? 210-215? That's bigger, but he also seems to be more of an outside runner, like Breida. But I seem to recall a few tough inside runs in the preseason. I think we'll just add a veteran or two and perhaps roll with Breida and Williams. Bring back Frank Gore!

8 hours ago, John232 said:

Haven't watched any McFadden, but no one with that last name has ever amounted to anything in the NFL, so I'm not sure about him. . 

With that said, I watched some Josh Jackson highlights and really liked what I saw. If I had to choose between him or Minkah Fitzpatrcik, I obviously go Minkah, but I think Josh Jackson could be very good in his own right. He looked extremely comfortable and fluid in man coverage plays. Great frame for our scheme too. 

10 hours ago, John232 said:

hysterical-laughing-meme-59da0eec12352.j

On 12/29/2017 at 5:02 AM, rudyZ said:

I think Hyde's problem is still the dancing. He's not the most decisive behind the OL. There's a game recently during which the analyst was showing a play and talking about how much steps Hyde is taking, like 5 or 6 wasted steps before hitting the hole. On that play he did hit the hole, but he managed to do so with power and athleticism rather than decisiveness. Who knows, if he hits it right away, maybe he breaks through the second level and takes it to the house. That indecisiveness also hurts the outside runs more than anything. Can you guys recall his last good outside stretch run? It has probably happened, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, but it's just not frequent enough. 

I don't think Kyle is only looking for quick guys. He had success with Alfred Morris, who isn't the fastest guy out there. I agree it's mostly about vision. Bryce Love has insane vision and toughness between the tackles, I'm sure he'd be amazing in our offense, but he's Breida's size, so maybe the staff would like to add someone bigger to the mix. Joe Williams is what? 210-215? That's bigger, but he also seems to be more of an outside runner, like Breida. But I seem to recall a few tough inside runs in the preseason. I think we'll just add a veteran or two and perhaps roll with Breida and Williams. Bring back Frank Gore!

Hyde is the anti-Gore.  Gore is one of the less athletically gifted RBs to have a great career.  But what he has, almost beyond most other backs I've seen, is the ability to judge see how the line blocking is unfolding and to find that small crease.  Hyde just bangs into guys, Gore slips between them.

We've talked here about big WRs.  I heard Kuiper on the radio yesterday talking about Jaleel Scott from NM St. He's 6'6". Never seen him play but was interested in what Kuiper had to say, and in his 76 catches for over 1000 yards this year and 9 TDs. Looked at his highlight film on Youtube.  All I can say is WOW! That first TD catch was one of the best catches I've seen all year, maybe ever.  He had several other really nice catches.  He just towers over some of those dbs, and can jump, and can catch.  Might be a rival in my mind for I've been thinking about Simmie Cobbs.  Check it out and see what you think

Archived