2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

@Forge Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this draft at the top. I like last years a bit more.  Despite QB  no longer being a need for us, I'd still say the QB prospects are better and thus makes it a better top heavy class.  But outside of Fitzpatrick, Chubb,  Nelson and Barkley there isn't anyone else at the top I love. Albeit I haven't watched any Roquon Smith. Eventhough there wasn't another bonafide elite prospect outside of MG, there were a bunch of guys I just really liked. Can't say the same this year, but that could change.

What are peoples thoughts on Josh Jackson? 

I've been watching some Minkah tape, unfortunately i'm not able to see a lot of him back pedaling because i'm just watching highlights, but he looks really good. I can sort of understand the Ramsey comparisons (even if too lofty). He's just all over the field and doesn't look awkward at all. 

31 minutes ago, John232 said:

What are peoples thoughts on Josh Jackson?

Joshua Jackson was obviously brilliant on Dawson's Creek, but was definitely cringe-worthy on Fringe. But still, he'll forever be the iconic Charlie Conway in the Might Ducks movies, the captain, the emotional leader, he of the the triple deke, which he inherited from Gordon Bombay. Might not have been the most talented, but he would always work hard and maintain the team's morale.

Nah, I dont see Ramsey at all personally when I watch Fitzpatrick. Ramsey looked like a CB and played like a CB but could function in space so he looked as equally adapt@safety too. Fitzpatrick looks like a safety and plays like a safety IMO. He's better being able to roam and come downhill or break to the ball. I just cant see him being outside all game, turning and running with #1 WRs. I just dont think that's his game.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Nah, I dont see Ramsey at all personally when I watch Fitzpatrick. Ramsey looked like a CB and played like a CB but could function in space so he looked as equally adapt@safety too. Fitzpatrick looks like a safety and plays like a safety IMO. He's better being able to roam and come downhill or break to the ball. I just cant see him being outside all game, turning and running with #1 WRs. I just dont think that's his game.

I agree with this completely. I really don't understand why there are so many mock drafts with us drafting him as a corner. Not his game and safety is not a need for us. I'd rather scoop Nelson, Chubb (depending on combine results), or Barkley in that order. Outside of those three prospects, I don't think there is anyone we should grab. If all three of them were gone I'd like to see if we could trade back, even for peanuts.

14 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Joshua Jackson was obviously brilliant on Dawson's Creek, but was definitely cringe-worthy on Fringe. But still, he'll forever be the iconic Charlie Conway in the Might Ducks movies, the captain, the emotional leader, he of the the triple deke, which he inherited from Gordon Bombay. Might not have been the most talented, but he would always work hard and maintain the team's morale.

I always thought that Adam Banks kid would make the NHL. Was somewhat surprised that he didn't. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I always thought that Adam Banks kid would make the NHL. Was somewhat surprised that he didn't. 

Banks had the talent, but there was always something off about him, as if there was another passion other than hockey buried inside of him and that once he found it, he'd give up on hockey. He was going to be the next Alexandre Daigle (except that in Daigle's case, it's more that he was a one-dimensional player who got by mostly by being much faster than anyone else in juniors). Fulton had, by far, the most pro potential. And perhaps Ken Wu.

13 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I think the thing with the CB talk for Fitzpatrick is that he has the ideal skillset for a Corner. Length, speed, ball skills, awareness, footwork its all there. He was recruited as one of the top corners in the nation because of that skillset but depth and injuries forced him to get some starts at safety - as a true freshman! From there he excelled and again injuries his sophomore year to eddie jackson kept him in that safety role. Its a rare thing but I dont think its out of the question to liken Minkah to Ramsey for being a great prospect at both S and CB. Saban gave some insight before the year here: 

“We’d rather not have him change from one place to the other, but last year based on some of the things that happened, we had to do it,” Saban said. “So he’s played Star, he’s played safety and played some corner for us. He’s played all three of those positions very well.

“It’s nice to have a guy like that that if somebody came through as a starting corner he could play someplace else. If somebody came through as a really good safety then you could feel comfortable leaving him at corner. It’s really unique to have a guy that’s as smart as he is has a good understanding of the game that really can play all those positions.”

Yeah, I like Nelson.  But if they offered their first and second, or maybe their first and next year's first I wouldn't think  twice about it.  Of course, it's still possible he'd be there in the 8 to 10 range and the extra pick or two would be a pure bonus.  As much we like him here on this forum I just don't know how high of a pick a team would be willing to use on a G.  Got any idea who the highest drafted G ever was?

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

If we happen to be picking a bit further back, for whatever reason, I really like Denzell Ward.  Reminds a bit of how I thought about Jourdan Lewis last year.  Doesn't necessarily get a lot of ints, but can really mirror his man and cover guys short or long. I think he would an instant starter for us, and become our best CB before the year was over.

On 12/23/2017 at 7:11 PM, rudyZ said:

neffew

About that battle we were in for the number 2 pick? We're now at 7 and a win next week might take us out of the top 10. Nelson not looking like a reach any more, and might not be available when we draft.

Billy Price as a player and having a young guy take over at C is growing on me.  He is also "rising" in the mock drafts. I think I'd be ecstatic if we signed a guy like Justin Pugh and drafted Price.  Problem is that a pick in the 7-10 range is too high for a center and he won't be there for our second round pick which should end up being somewhere around 60.  We'd either have to trade up for him and I'm not at all crazy about that idea, or maybe trade down and pick up an extra pick. That might be worth considering. Of course once we sign either a C or G in free agency I'd also be real happy if we thought there was an edge rusher worth taking in the 7 - 10 range.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

About that battle we were in for the number 2 pick? We're now at 7 and a win next week might take us out of the top 10. Nelson not looking like a reach any more, and might not be available when we draft.

Billy Price as a player and having a young guy take over at C is growing on me.  He is also "rising" in the mock drafts. I think I'd be ecstatic if we signed a guy like Justin Pugh and drafted Price.  Problem is that a pick in the 7-10 range is too high for a center and he won't be there for our second round pick which should end up being somewhere around 60.  We'd either have to trade up for him and I'm not at all crazy about that idea, or maybe trade down and pick up an extra pick. That might be worth considering. Of course once we sign either a C or G in free agency I'd also be real happy if we thought there was an edge rusher worth taking in the 7 - 10 range.

I believe that we are actually at 8 now. 

Found this interesting.  What are you looking for in a college QB? Strong arm? Accuracy? Running and throwing ability?  Here's what Urban Meyer said he's looking for:

1 - competitive spirit

2 - toughness

3 - leadership

4 - intelligence

5 - ability to get out of a bad play

6 - Then, how does he run and throw. We'll work on that stuff

I think he's trying to define the "it" that some QBs have and some just don't.

#5 is so underrated (as a presnap read, I mean. Getting out alive of a broken play is not something I value all that much.. anyone can do it. Tom Brady just throws the ball away, and it's as important a play as Russell Wilson who'll run around for 8 seconds to find an open receiver). I think #1-3 all go hand in hand. I don't think you can have a leader who isn't tough and fired up. #4, well, intelligence alone isn't enough. For all we know, CK is a very intelligent man, but it never translated onto the football field. Can you have a QB who isn't intelligent? A dummy who somehow absorbs whatever his coaches tell him? Maybe not. Maybe I'm elitist, but intelligence is something I look for in every human being I meet, let alone the QBs I'd want to play for me. 

What's the "it"... well, it's probably lightning in a bottle. A QB can have all those traits and then some and still not have "it". David Carr had most of those things and didn't have "it". 

Archived