2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

19 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

We're not a 3-4 team anymore. Chubb would be a perfect fit. Nelson or Chubb is my current wish list.

Maybe my typing was deficient ? I know you're not a 34 team and i wrote that. Chubb will be great as a 43 DE but what abot Armstead and Thomas ? Thomas would slide inside ? A DTs pair of Buckner-Thomas ? Not sure it will be the best thing to do...But thanks for your feedback.

1 hour ago, zappa13004 said:

Maybe my typing was deficient ? I know you're not a 34 team and i wrote that. Chubb will be great as a 43 DE but what abot Armstead and Thomas ? Thomas would slide inside ? A DTs pair of Buckner-Thomas ? Not sure it will be the best thing to do...But thanks for your feedback.

Well, if we get Chubb then that would mean Armstead is likely traded. Thomas would slide inside when we go into the nickel as he is a much better pass rusher from there than he is at the edge. 

19 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Personally, I think Jimmy G will thrive in the short-intemediate area. He's not a great deep ball guy. Not saying he cant improve in that area, but to me, he will be a QB that will utilize the middle of the field primarily. I think he needs a big, dynamic TE to pair with any WR we bring in. I like Kittle but he seems more like a #2 TE at this point with a lot to improve upon with his game. I'd love for us to go get a guy like Mark Andrews in rounds 2-3. Big target with great size, who is underrated athletically. Soft hands and is a good in-line blocker, as well as on the move....seems like the type of target that would thrive with Shanny and Jimmy. Andrews and Kittle could be a formdiable TE tandem for years to come. 

I've been watching Mark Andrews for years (surprise, right!? :P ) and this guy is amazing. Not only is he a fantastic redzone target, but he can take passes to the house from yards out...50, 60...  One knock on him health-wise: He has Type I diabetes. His blood sugar is checked every quarter of the game.

I too used to think Mayfield would not be a 1st rounder. I think I was absolutely wrong. He may not be the 6'2" 210 the media guides claim, but who would not want to have a Drew Brees running your O? Yes, I do think he is very similar to Brees.

3 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

My bad. I must have missed that part. In any case, Thomas is a poor fit outside and his best play has been from inside. Armstead looked completely out of position this year as we tried to fit him in at LEO, which didn't work as he and Thomas are better-suited for the same spot. Most of us feel he's likely to be traded. That creates the opening for Chubb.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I too used to think Mayfield would not be a 1st rounder. I think I was absolutely wrong. He may not be the 6'2" 210 the media guides claim, but who would not want to have a Drew Brees running your O? Yes, I do think he is very similar to Brees.

I see more Jeff Garcia than I do Drew Brees. That's probably my favorite comp being thrown around. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I see more Jeff Garcia than I do Drew Brees. That's probably my favorite comp being thrown around. 

I don't see it. I remember Garcia throwing a great couple of passes, then one go straight into the dirt--likely on 3rd down, killing the drive. The WR , wide open, would be standing there like 'WTH?' I just don't recall Garcia as fondly as do some of you. He frustrated me plenty. 

11 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I don't see it. I remember Garcia throwing a great couple of passes, then one go straight into the dirt--likely on 3rd down, killing the drive. The WR , wide open, would be standing there like 'WTH?' I just don't recall Garcia as fondly as do some of you. He frustrated me plenty. 

IT's a very similar play style. Mayfield isn't nearly the athlete as Russell Wilson, who is another guy that people like to compare him to, but because he's not that type of athlete, the comp isn't ideal. He's vastly different then Brees outside of the height. I'm not willing to say he's anywhere near as accurate as Brees at this point. He's also better equipped on field than Manziel, who is another guy that people like to use as a comp...especially with the maturity issues. But I think that's too far in the other direction. Garcia had a monster three year stretch utilizing that chaotic play style, neither is a "world class athlete" type (I mean, they are, but no  in comparison to other world class athletes).. Neither has massive arm strength and lack overall great physical attributes. Mayfield throws a better football, however. 

It's a comp you see quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Any of you guys out there seen any of Dorance Armstrong.  I've only read about him.  Sounds like an interesting prospectif we want someone to replace Harold.

I thought of him more as a leo. He's very thin. Never thought of him as a SAM. Interesting thought. He is a very interesting guy, for sure, but I think he has a legit shot at going at the bottom end of round one. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I thought of him more as a leo. He's very thin. Never thought of him as a SAM. Interesting thought. He is a very interesting guy, for sure, but I think he has a legit shot at going at the bottom end of round one. 

Armstrong seems like the perfect player to replace what Eli Harold gives the team - an overrated college pass rusher who will likely struggle to do so in the NFL and is minimally exceptional at anything else. He was a guy I watched carefully this year, and I just don't see anything there.

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He was a top five QB for a couple of seasons in 2000-2001. Still holds the 49ers record for 30 plus touchdowns in back to back seasons. He, like Colin K had a cup of coffee in terms of success with the 49ers. Unfortunately the entire organization was going into the toilet as time went on. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Armstrong seems like the perfect player to replace what Eli Harold gives the team - an overrated college pass rusher who will likely struggle to do so in the NFL and is minimally exceptional at anything else. He was a guy I watched carefully this year, and I just don't see anything there.

Ah. Well that's a pretty strong take. 

14 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Ah. Well that's a pretty strong take. 

To be fair, I'm somewhat disgruntled and bitter that I put so much energy into Kansas football. Entering this year, I had him pegged as a guy I needed to follow. Was a waste of time. Much happier following guys like Simmie Cobbs, Michael Gallup, and Carlton Davis as other guys I pegged to watch early.

FWIW the article that got me most intrigued about him didn't tout him as the next best pass rusher in the league.  They said he was a good pass rusher but mostly  they praised his all around game - his ability to rush, to set the edge and be solid agains the run, and also his ability to cover in the flat. Sure I'd like a pure pass rusher but I'd be happy enough to find a really solid all-around guy to replace Harold whom I think offers not very much himself.

I'd love to love a pass rusher this year, and I suppose it's likely one will emerge from this class. I just have any idea who that would be right now.

42 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

FWIW the article that got me most intrigued about him didn't tout him as the next best pass rusher in the league.  They said he was a good pass rusher but mostly  they praised his all around game - his ability to rush, to set the edge and be solid agains the run, and also his ability to cover in the flat. Sure I'd like a pure pass rusher but I'd be happy enough to find a really solid all-around guy to replace Harold whom I think offers not very much himself.

I'd love to love a pass rusher this year, and I suppose it's likely one will emerge from this class. I just have any idea who that would be right now.

I agree with this. I just think with Armstrong, you're basically replacing Harold with the same type of player. 

Now, let me be fair - Armstrong is frequently double-teamed as the one player on Kansas's defense that opposing teams needed to account for. So - I do give that bit of grain of salt to my report on what I've seen this year. But I still see just an Eli Harold clone. 

Archived