2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Meh, right now with Allen is all hype and potential. He has shown very little on the field to warrant a high pick, but he will get picked in the first round in all likelihood. Just amazing how one is a WR in the next level, and the other is a top 10 pick. Something doesn't add up.

51 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So @Forge you think Fitzpatrick will be a CB at the next level?

Honestly, just depends on who drafts him. I think that he can play there at the next level...well enough to justify a top 6 pick? Ehhh...I don't know, but I don't love the top of this draft, so I could see how it's a yes on that. 

I either want to go pass-rusher or OT with the first pick.There are some interior O-Line guys I like that can be had later so that rules out Nelson for me. Right now, Im thinking either Chubb or Williams from Texas with the first pick if we maintain top 5 status.

I think we address WR in free agency so not really a need by the time the draft rolls around. We move Ward back to CB and so that becomes one less hole. Colbert seems like the heir apparent@FS so I don't see the need for a Fitzpatrick or a Derwin James.

Those two positions just make sense to me as to what we need to target. As solid as Staley is, he plays probably max two more years. You draft Williams, let him play OG for a year or two, lock up Trent Brown and have your tackle succession plan in place. And everyone can agree we desperately need an elite edge rusher and Chubb is excatly that. 

23 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I either want to go pass-rusher or OT with the first pick.There are some interior O-Line guys I like that can be had later so that rules out Nelson for me. Right now, Im thinking either Chubb or Williams from Texas with the first pick if we maintain top 5 status.

I think we address WR in free agency so not really a need by the time the draft rolls around. We move Ward back to CB and so that becomes one less hole. Colbert seems like the heir apparent@FS so I don't see the need for a Fitzpatrick or a Derwin James.

Those two positions just make sense to me as to what we need to target. As solid as Staley is, he plays probably max two more years. You draft Williams, let him play OG for a year or two, lock up Trent Brown and have your tackle succession plan in place. And everyone can agree we desperately need an elite edge rusher and Chubb is excatly that. 

I really hope we don't go Williams. I just don't think he's that good. Not top 10 good at any rate. Some of that is coaching and can be cleaned up (his technique in pass protection is pretty awful in my opinion), but not in love with him as a prospect. Chubb I don't see as a LEO. Could be wrong...want to see his numbers. I'm reserving judgment. Love him as a player...not sure about the fit. 

I'm still full on the Nelson bandwagon. Plug and play stud, in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Yeah, I think Williams would be just fine playing G early on so I wouldn't mind that pick. Nelson certainly isn't out for me, as he is THE guy I want along with Chubb or Key. But I'm starting to put Williams in that class as well.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I think Williams would be just fine playing G early on so I wouldn't mind that pick. Nelson certainly isn't out for me, as he is THE guy I want along with Chubb or Key. But I'm starting to put Williams in that class as well.

I just hate the thinking of "lets take the inferior prospect to play the position of the superior prospect because  Williams may be able to play another position 2 years down the line when we may or may not need him". Know what I mean? Here's what I know: We need a guard next year. Nelson is the best guard prospect this year, and probably in quite a number of years. Nelson is a superior player to Williams. I know that I don't have to switch Nelson's position. I would *hate* the Williams pick right now. We have enough holes currently that I'm not worried about 2 years down the line. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I really hope we don't go Williams. I just don't think he's that good. Not top 10 good at any rate. Some of that is coaching and can be cleaned up (his technique in pass protection is pretty awful in my opinion), but not in love with him as a prospect. Chubb I don't see as a LEO. Could be wrong...want to see his numbers. I'm reserving judgment. Love him as a player...not sure about the fit. 

I'm still full on the Nelson bandwagon. Plug and play stud, in my opinion.  

Williams is a stud IMO. Its between him and McClingchy(mispelled) for me but Williams is better in the run game and has more 'dog' and plays with a nastiness I think one needs to be a superior tackle at the next level. McClingcy has better feet but he really lacks physicality in the run game and that kind of scares me. Now at Texas, they use alot of jump sets in pass-pro so that maybe what your seeing as far as technique but i see a high level pass-protector who will only be better as a pro. I think his punch needs work and he needs to add some strength. He sometimes can get too aggressive in the run game gets out of position but I think all the tools are there. And I think he's a underrated athletically.

I get the Nelson love but I just dont think we should spend a top 5 pick on a OG. Especially with Garnett coming back next year, which should help fortify one of the guard positions. I'd rather go either OT or edge rusher wait later for OG. Grab a guy like Price from OSU in the 2nd, who could plug in play@guard or center. And if not the 2nd, grab a guy like Ragnow from Arkansas or Dietler from Wisconsin in the 3rd/4th.

21 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Williams is a stud IMO. Its between him and McClingchy(mispelled) for me but Williams is better in the run game and has more 'dog' and plays with a nastiness I think one needs to be a superior tackle at the next level. McClingcy has better feet but he really lacks physicality in the run game and that kind of scares me. Now at Texas, they use alot of jump sets in pass-pro so that maybe what your seeing as far as technique but i see a high level pass-protector who will only be better as a pro. I think his punch needs work and he needs to add some strength. He sometimes can get too aggressive in the run game gets out of position but I think all the tools are there. And I think he's a underrated athletically.

I get the Nelson love but I just dont think we should spend a top 5 pick on a OG. Especially with Garnett coming back next year, which should help fortify one of the guard positions. I'd rather go either OT or edge rusher wait later for OG. Grab a guy like Price from OSU in the 2nd, who could plug in play@guard or center. And if not the 2nd, grab a guy like Ragnow from Arkansas or Dietler from Wisconsin in the 3rd/4th.

Well, that's the problem right there! You think we are going to have a top 5 pick!

Jimmy G getting those wins! 

:P

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Well, that's the problem right there! You think we are going to have a top 5 pick!

Jimmy G getting those wins! 

:P

Ha, very true. Now I do like Nelson if we trade back into the teens or later. And I get that there are alot of ppl that aren't enamored with Williams. But whether it be Williams, Miller, McGlinchy or whoever, I just feel that the OT talent should take precedence over interior line players. And since I dont expect us to be picking this high for a very long time, I'd rather invest in the position that would require such a high pick. 

31 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Ha, very true. Now I do like Nelson if we trade back into the teens or later. And I get that there are alot of ppl that aren't enamored with Williams. But whether it be Williams, Miller, McGlinchy or whoever, I just feel that the OT talent should take precedence over interior line players. And since I dont expect us to be picking this high for a very long time, I'd rather invest in the position that would require such a high pick. 

There is truth to this line of thought but we still have solid tackles and I believe that we should take the best available player for the position that we want them to fill.  There should not be any effort to reach for a guy if there is a better player available for the position that we want them to play.  Now, I do not know much of these players but I do not like the take the lower talent because of versatility.

7 minutes ago, burlow said:

There is truth to this line of thought but we still have solid tackles and I believe that we should take the best available player for the position that we want them to fill.  There should not be any effort to reach for a guy if there is a better player available for the position that we want them to play.  Now, I do not know much of these players but I do not like the take the lower talent because of versatility.

Its all subjective though. I think Williams is just as talented as Nelson. Nelson is probably closer to being the more finished product but I see Williams being a very good pro. I dont see Nelson being the clear cut, best talent along the O-Line in this draft. Hell, he might not even be the best O-Lineman on his own team. I do like him alot. I dont think he's Zach Martin as a prospect but I do think he's a plug and play guy. 

Archived