2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

On 01/12/2017 at 7:32 PM, big9erfan said:

and I don't see him as anywhere near even a top 10 pick let alone a 2nd.

Very interesting opinion and i watched two Penn St games so thats much less than you. Still, two things to me that would justify a #3 selection : 1- His versatility. That position can be filled with lower picks thats for sure and especially with this great class but watching how Shany used his RBs in Atlanta and seeing how well Barkley can catch passes, i think it could be such a boom for the offense. 2- His character. Sure i dont know him personnaly but from what i read he is such a nice person who'll win the locker room, be a nice face for the franchise and such a coachable/work ethic guy/highly talented but humble person. I think Lynch selected Solomon Thomas for his performances on the field but also his character and so i guess he would like to have another one in Barkley.

Hi guys, im preparing my next mock draft and i'd like to hear from you about that 1st round selection. Sure i started by reading lots of your comments there but 50 pages, sorry, it would take my whole day. As i wont project trade which would be a perfect scenario i bet, i'd like you to tell me what you think about some possibilities or another id have missed. Thanks.

1- Barkley. Not sure a RB going that high is a smart move. Shany had great success in Atlanta with a 4th and a 3rd rounder. But Barkley can run. Yes. But also has great hands and that could be such a boom for that offense. Plus he has a character similar to their last 1st pick as an humble though highly talented guy, very coachable with work ethic, nice person who'll win over fans and his teammates.

2- Nelson. It seems that guy would fill a great need, maybe the more pressing one ? But talking about the value of a RB that high, what about a guard ? Though he looks like a perennial probowler and i do not underestimate Olineman, even interior ones, as they can have an impact on the whole offense.

3- Sutton. Dont know much about him but from what i saw he looks better than Corey Davis who went #5 last year. I think he could be such a weapon for Jimmy G along Garçon and Taylor.

4- James. I read lots of you writing than a rotation of 3 safeties (Reid, Tartt, Colbert) would satisfy most of you for next year, with Reid agreeing on a new contract, not a big one. But James isn't only a name, a hyped guy. He had a very good season in a disapointing team. Add him next to Buckner, Thomas and Foster and that defense would be very exciting to watch and most effecient which is the goal of course.

5- Fitzpatrick. Personnaly, instead of going after a WR through FA i'll try to sign a CB like Trumaine Johnson but if not, Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a nice asset. He can play middle field, nickel or outside corner. He makes me think of Malcolm Jenkins and if that guy probably wont make you dream he is very very valuable and underrated i think. Fitzpatrick would be a nice pick, even at #3.

Did i forget someone you would like ? I like a lot Chubb but to me he is not a good fit. He will be a very nice 43 DE but those spots are filled yet. Im pretty sure Lynch will bring an edge rusher at some point but more of a quick kind of 34 OLB guy, someone like Landry or Okoronkwo on friday or a Lorenzo Carter on saturday. Talking about UGA i like a lot Roquan Smith but as the defense plays a 43 (which i dont understand with Buckner and Thomas probably better in a 34, Foster and Armstead too), i do not see them spending another 1st on a non pass-rusher LB. Foster could play WLB i guess but back to back 1st on that position ? An OT to prepare the post Staley ? Possible but if theres some good ones i do not see any Tyron Smith for now so i guess they'll wait to eventually bring someone to take the veteran's job when he'll retire and i think, like most of you, they'll focus instead on finding a G and a C.

Consider it like a poll, you have the draft card in your hand, which name would you write on ? Thanks.

4 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

Very interesting opinion and i watched two Penn St games so thats much less than you. Still, two things to me that would justify a #3 selection : 1- His versatility. That position can be filled with lower picks thats for sure and especially with this great class but watching how Shany used his RBs in Atlanta and seeing how well Barkley can catch passes, i think it could be such a boom for the offense. 2- His character. Sure i dont know him personnaly but from what i read he is such a nice person who'll win the locker room, be a nice face for the franchise and such a coachable/work ethic guy/highly talented but humble person. I think Lynch selected Solomon Thomas for his performances on the field but also his character and so i guess he would like to have another one in Barkley.

Yeah, his pass catching skills would be a real asset for whoever gets him.  I don't imagine he'll be returning kicks in the NFL.

Personally, I think Jimmy G will thrive in the short-intemediate area. He's not a great deep ball guy. Not saying he cant improve in that area, but to me, he will be a QB that will utilize the middle of the field primarily. I think he needs a big, dynamic TE to pair with any WR we bring in. I like Kittle but he seems more like a #2 TE at this point with a lot to improve upon with his game. I'd love for us to go get a guy like Mark Andrews in rounds 2-3. Big target with great size, who is underrated athletically. Soft hands and is a good in-line blocker, as well as on the move....seems like the type of target that would thrive with Shanny and Jimmy. Andrews and Kittle could be a formdiable TE tandem for years to come. 

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

We're not a 3-4 team anymore. Chubb would be a perfect fit. Nelson or Chubb is my current wish list.

See, I'm one of the few that isn't sold on Chubb for what we need - I don't know how I feel about him playing the LEO role. Could he excel in the big DE role? Absolutely. In the leo role? I don't know. I want to see his combine. Until then, I'm reserving complete judgment. 

5 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

Hi guys, im preparing my next mock draft and i'd like to hear from you about that 1st round selection. Sure i started by reading lots of your comments there but 50 pages, sorry, it would take my whole day. As i wont project trade which would be a perfect scenario i bet, i'd like you to tell me what you think about some possibilities or another id have missed. Thanks.

1- Barkley. Not sure a RB going that high is a smart move. Shany had great success in Atlanta with a 4th and a 3rd rounder. But Barkley can run. Yes. But also has great hands and that could be such a boom for that offense. Plus he has a character similar to their last 1st pick as an humble though highly talented guy, very coachable with work ethic, nice person who'll win over fans and his teammates.

2- Nelson. It seems that guy would fill a great need, maybe the more pressing one ? But talking about the value of a RB that high, what about a guard ? Though he looks like a perennial probowler and i do not underestimate Olineman, even interior ones, as they can have an impact on the whole offense.

3- Sutton. Dont know much about him but from what i saw he looks better than Corey Davis who went #5 last year. I think he could be such a weapon for Jimmy G along Garçon and Taylor.

4- James. I read lots of you writing than a rotation of 3 safeties (Reid, Tartt, Colbert) would satisfy most of you for next year, with Reid agreeing on a new contract, not a big one. But James isn't only a name, a hyped guy. He had a very good season in a disapointing team. Add him next to Buckner, Thomas and Foster and that defense would be very exciting to watch and most effecient which is the goal of course.

5- Fitzpatrick. Personnaly, instead of going after a WR through FA i'll try to sign a CB like Trumaine Johnson but if not, Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a nice asset. He can play middle field, nickel or outside corner. He makes me think of Malcolm Jenkins and if that guy probably wont make you dream he is very very valuable and underrated i think. Fitzpatrick would be a nice pick, even at #3.

Did i forget someone you would like ? I like a lot Chubb but to me he is not a good fit. He will be a very nice 43 DE but those spots are filled yet. Im pretty sure Lynch will bring an edge rusher at some point but more of a quick kind of 34 OLB guy, someone like Landry or Okoronkwo on friday or a Lorenzo Carter on saturday. Talking about UGA i like a lot Roquan Smith but as the defense plays a 43 (which i dont understand with Buckner and Thomas probably better in a 34, Foster and Armstead too), i do not see them spending another 1st on a non pass-rusher LB. Foster could play WLB i guess but back to back 1st on that position ? An OT to prepare the post Staley ? Possible but if theres some good ones i do not see any Tyron Smith for now so i guess they'll wait to eventually bring someone to take the veteran's job when he'll retire and i think, like most of you, they'll focus instead on finding a G and a C.

Consider it like a poll, you have the draft card in your hand, which name would you write on ? Thanks.

You and I have discussed some of this in the mock draft forum. You know that I'm kind of a Nelson or bust type guy. I wouldn't complain about Barkley, but my strategy wouldn't allow for that pick, but I'd have no problem if we made it. 

James depends on our safety situation through free agency. He makes a lot more sense if we don't re-sign Reid and either move Ward back to corner or cut him altogether. I'm with you on grabbing a CB through free agency - I've advocated for that. Sign Prince, or grab Johnson, trade for Janoris Jenkins, or something along those lines. That would cover fitzpatrick as well. Sutton isn't worth a top 7 pick to me. Chubb makes a ton of sense if the team thinks he can fit as a LEO. I'm not convinced of that just yet. 

26 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

So where do you all think Mayfield is going in this draft?  I've read opinions that are all over the place.

He should be in the first round. I could see a team like Cincy trading back up into the first to grab him. Especially if they part with Dalton and run with McCarron for a year.

But regardless, i don't think he'd be an overdraft in the first , plus he's a QB so it's good value. The NFL really needs to get over the height-ism. Too many guys have been passed up as a result when their arm talent and play have suggested they could be legitimately good. I just have more concerns about QB's coming out of that system. 

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

So where do you all think Mayfield is going in this draft?  I've read opinions that are all over the place.

I don't think that he's a first round pick. May change, but I don't know think he's going in the first right now. 

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I think he's defintely going in the first. I dont think he's as good as Russell Wilson was as a prospect but he's close enough that I feel he isnt a such a reach as a first rounder. Doesnt have the arm nor espacbility Wilson has but I see alot of the moxy/intangibles like I saw with Wilson. Dont think he's necessarily worthy of the top 10, but he's a first rounder with his upside, nonetheless.

Been thinking a bit about what we need in the draft.  I have little doubt that in any given single game you look at next year we would be a much better team if we had a great pass rusher.  They are just so important. The thing I keep coming back to though is that over the course of a season, not to mention  over the course of several years what we need more than anything else is a QB ... a healthy one. Does us no good to think we might have found one only to lose him to injury on a bad sack. I think our first priority ought to be to re-build our o-line.

Archived