2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Think we know where this is directed....he's basically confirming the previous report 

I like Rosen so much more these last couple weeks. Those comments he made about him playing in a meaningless bowl game vs others not were so spot on. His character was my only question but I think he's a-ok in my book, QB2 after Lamar. 

A part of me wishes we had a shot at one of these really interesting QB's, but then I remember that our QB has beautiful eyes and her hair smells like cinnamon

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Think we know where this is directed....he's basically confirming the previous report 

John Dorsey's job now is to try to convince people that he can turn the Browns around. You don't have any credibility if you stick with you're 1-30 head coach, though. They need a big name, kinda like we did with Kyle. He was the big fish last year, and getting him led certain free agents to want to sign here (even if we're only talking about Brian Hoyer.. it was still a good sign). The Browns have a lot of potential. They have good players on the OL, good receivers, a couple great young players on D. If they can get a veteran QB and start winning some games, they can turn this around. 

Just now, rudyZ said:

John Dorsey's job now is to try to convince people that he can turn the Browns around. You don't have any credibility if you stick with you're 1-30 head coach, though. They need a big name, kinda like we did with Kyle. He was the big fish last year, and getting him led certain free agents to want to sign here (even if we're only talking about Brian Hoyer.. it was still a good sign). The Browns have a lot of potential. They have good players on the OL, good receivers, a couple great young players on D. If they can get a veteran QB and start winning some games, they can turn this around. 

how much would it effect us if the Browns make Cousins an insane offer something like 5yr 150m before we sign Jimmy G? 

41 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

how much would it effect us if the Browns make Cousins an insane offer something like 5yr 150m before we sign Jimmy G? 

It would probably have an impact. Not sure how much. We'll know more about Jimmy's relationship with money once he signs, but until then, we can only speculate. But we have the money to sign Jimmy to whatever contract he wants, so we should be able to get something done.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I believe that we are actually at 8 now. 

I guess we'll see for sure after next week. Bleacher Report published their post week 16 mock and had us taking Fitzpatrick at 7 with the Jets taking Mayufield at 8. They had us .002 ahead of them in SOS. FWIW since I know what you think of Nelson, they also had both McGlinchey at 6 and Brown at 10 going ahead of Nelson at 15.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

I guess we'll see for sure after next week. Bleacher Report published   last week 16 mock and had us taking Fitzpatrick at 7 with the Jets taking Mayufield at 8. They had us .002 ahead of them in SOS. FWIW since I know what you think of Nelson, they also had both McGlinchey at 6 and Brown at 10 going ahead of Nelson at 15. 

Yeah, tank-a-thon has us tied with the Jets for the 7th pick in SOS, so it looks like it's super close. ESPN also has us at 8 but its so close that I imagine if the Jets opponents have a good week, we will move right up there. 

I can understand Brown...McGlinchey would be a mistake though. I think there's a chance that he'll end up as a guard at the next level. I still like him as a right tackle, but it's not perfect for sure. I like Tank a thon's mock...they have us taking Nelson at 8 :D

Seems to be two trains of thought on Nelson - those who believe he's just flat out one of the best players (if not the best) in the draft, and thus have teams still taking him early (I see him going in that 8-9 range a bit in mocks), and those who believe that Guards just aren't likely to go that high no matter how good and have him going in the middle and late teens. Personally, I think he goes in the top 10, but probably the back half. Too many teams need interior line help. We could use him. Cincy could use him. Miami. Arizona. Quite a few teams in that 8-12 market who have guard needs (and that doesn't count other teams picking at the top of the first if they end up trading down)

33 minutes ago, Geek said:

So now there is a chance that Chubb, Nelson, and Fitz could all be picked before we are on the clock. In that situation who do you guys think we should draft?

Depends on FA obviously as I think this has much more influence on who we pick, where is if we were top 5, I wouldn't see any Free agent signing preventing the drafting of Chubb, Nelson or Fitzpatrick (for example). 

In that range I could see us drafting Denzel Ward, Joshua Jackson(seeing them around this range) , Calvin Ridley, Arden Key, Clelin Ferrell,  Saquon Barkley, Roquan Smith (Unlikely, but talent matches the pick)

Ideally? A trade back would be real nice. I think if Barkley drops past the Browns and Colts, I think he may see a bit of a free fall if the QB's start flying off the shelf. 

1 hour ago, Geek said:

So now there is a chance that Chubb, Nelson, and Fitz could all be picked before we are on the clock. In that situation who do you guys think we should draft?

I still think that we are safe for Nelson. But at that point...it's really hard to say. Barkley starts to look far more attractive at that point even for me if he's still there. Another guy I'm thinking? Calvin Ridley. Can't believe I'm saying that, but there it is.  Arden Key should definitely be on the board at that point as well. Denzel Ward is another guy that I would definitely take a look at. I'd actually prefer him over Fitzpatrick as a more natural boundary cover corner. 

If we trade down, I'd start looking at a guy like Roquan Smith, Josh Jackson, Courtland Sutton and a few others. 

2 hours ago, Geek said:

Barkley will probably be gone within the top 8 picks i'd imagine, Guice could be in play, Ward a lot of people are high on i'm unsure still. Id like a WR but they are like RBs to me, they need to be blue chippers and I just dont know if there are any (I dont believe in Ridley or Sutton). Arden Key I need to see test, because he had weight/athleticism questions. Derwin James might just be the guy I say we have to pick if he falls in our lap. He's going to be such a force in some capacity on a defense. We could find a way to have him on the field on our D even with 3 other starting caliber safeties 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I still think that we are safe for Nelson. But at that point...it's really hard to say. Barkley starts to look far more attractive at that point even for me if he's still there. Another guy I'm thinking? Calvin Ridley. Can't believe I'm saying that, but there it is.  Arden Key should definitely be on the board at that point as well. Denzel Ward is another guy that I would definitely take a look at. I'd actually prefer him over Fitzpatrick as a more natural boundary cover corner. 

If we trade down, I'd start looking at a guy like Roquan Smith, Josh Jackson, Courtland Sutton and a few others. 

If a team wants to copy the Chiefs/Texans and trade up for a QB, Sutton is a guy that I would really love to have.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

If a team wants to copy the Chiefs/Texans and trade up for a QB, Sutton is a guy that I would really love to have.

What are your thoughts on his bowl game performance?

I thought his body language was some of the worst i've seen in a really long time, albeit after his QB had 4 to's in the first half. 

28 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

What are your thoughts on his bowl game performance?

I thought his body language was some of the worst i've seen in a really long time, albeit after his QB had 4 to's in the first half. 

Yeah, that is somewhat worrisome, but I see that as a guy who wants to win. I don't see that as problematic here. Good veterans in his position group and on offense as a whole. Combine that with Garoppolo seemingly never losing his cool, and I don't see a long-term issue. I do see a 6'4" red zone threat, however, and that to me is a big need that would be filled.

Archived