2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

https://www.fantasysharks.com/mock-draft-1-0-dan-collins/4/

I would be fine with this. If we got 21/22/another pick. then move from 22 to 29 and grab another pick. 

Yes, I think I would be pleased with this. Putting early attention on the pass rush and run game works for me, though the next focus ideally would be on IOL and CB. 

Getting Landry outside of the top 20, and then Guice at 29?!?!??!?

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I would be fine with this. If we got 21/22/another pick. then move from 22 to 29 and grab another pick. 

Don't like Landry as I don't think he's a first rounder; much more would prefer Wynn. Don't really love the selection of a running back, but a lot of that depends on what we do in free agency. As it stands, it's deifnitely not a bad pick, just not a preference for me.  But i like that the first trade was (21 /22 and other picks lol)

I think RB needs to be a big priority this off-season. I don't want to wait until the fourth round to try to find a feature back. I know Kyle has made the most out of those kind of guys but I would prefer a dynamic playmaker at that spot. There is a ton of value in having a balanced attack and a talented runner is a big part of that 

You can get dynamic playmakers at RB after the first rounds. Besides that a big part of having a good run game is having a good O-line. Last years main problem in the running game wasn't Hyde or Breida. It was the interior of the O-line getting blown back and having to dodge defenders straight after they received the ball. Besides that having a good QB can take a lot of pressure of the running game because you don't have to go against those loaded boxes. 

We do need a RB but i dont mind it if we don't grab one before day three. 

41 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

You can get dynamic playmakers at RB after the first rounds. Besides that a big part of having a good run game is having a good O-line. Last years main problem in the running game wasn't Hyde or Breida. It was the interior of the O-line getting blown back and having to dodge defenders straight after they received the ball. Besides that having a good QB can take a lot of pressure of the running game because you don't have to go against those loaded boxes. 

We do need a RB but i dont mind it if we don't grab one before day three. 

Walton is a guy I really like. 

22 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

The trade backs would depend on what else we got.  LIke 29 plus what?  In any case I don't like taking Landry there. We really need a pass rusher, but we also really need to cash in on those picks. I see him as a high risk / high reward kind of guy who could just as easily turn into a JAG than a star.  We also need CB and if Ward fell as far as he is in this draft I'd snap him up. I believe his floor is much higher than Landry. I can't imagine him not being better than Johnson, who started for us.  So in my mind that's gurranteed upgrade at a position of big need.  Landry could be an big upgrade, but to me he also could just be Elie Harold or Tank Carradine.

18 hours ago, N4L said:

I think RB needs to be a big priority this off-season. I don't want to wait until the fourth round to try to find a feature back. I know Kyle has made the most out of those kind of guys but I would prefer a dynamic playmaker at that spot. There is a ton of value in having a balanced attack and a talented runner is a big part of that 

I agree ... but there are a ton of good backs that will likely be there for our second round pick or even  at the top of the third.  I think the difference between them and Guice is likely smaller than the difference between a guy like Billy Price and whatever C/G will be available with our second round pick or at the top of the third.

I'm beginning to see a bunch of mocks with Simmie Cobbs going in the 3rd, or even 4th round.  He's a favorite here, but I'm not sure everyone else loves him as much  One surprise for me is that I'm beginning to see St. Brown slippling to bottom of 2nd and one even had him bottom of 3rd.  He's one of my favorite receivers.

As much as people talk about Cobbs here I'm surprised about how little I read in our 49ers forum about Ronald Jones.  I've been impressed with him every time I've watched him.  He's a nice combo of speed and power with the patience to run those wide plays and let the holes develop.  One thing I like about him is that I think he's got some "big play" potential in him. Would love to have a guy that can stretch out a play, find a hole, get throught it and then go for 40 or 50 instead of 10 or 20.

5 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I'm beginning to see a bunch of mocks with Simmie Cobbs going in the 3rd, or even 4th round.  He's a favorite here, but I'm not sure everyone else loves him as much  One surprise for me is that I'm beginning to see St. Brown slippling to bottom of 2nd and one even had him bottom of 3rd.  He's one of my favorite receivers.

As much as people talk about Cobbs here I'm surprised about how little I read in our 49ers forum about Ronald Jones.  I've been impressed with him every time I've watched him.  He's a nice combo of speed and power with the patience to run those wide plays and let the holes develop.  One thing I like about him is that I think he's got some "big play" potential in him. Would love to have a guy that can stretch out a play, find a hole, get throught it and then go for 40 or 50 instead of 10 or 20.

I am a huge fan of St. Brown. I think he and Moore from Mizzou are being heavily slept on thus far as prospects. I understand his numbers from last year arent all that great but his talent supercedes his stats. Moore has good numbers and is impressive on tape...not sure why he isnt being talked about more.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I am a huge fan of St. Brown. I think he and Moore from Mizzou are being heavily slept on thus far as prospects. I understand his numbers from last year arent all that great but his talent supercedes his stats. Moore has good numbers and is impressive on tape...not sure why he isnt being talked about more.

J'Mon Moore is definitely a guy I have to watch more of. I like St. Brown a lot, but I think his production and super slight frame might scare him off. I think he and Auden Tate are going to be viewed as high risk, high reward guys. Very little production, but the physical traits pop. 

I don't know if guys like St.Brown and Cobbs are sliding in people's minds, or if they just start discovering other prospects they hadn't paid much attention to before, and are just starting valuing them more. We haven't had the combine yet, so the hype isn't really started anyway. I feel like flashy guys like QBs, RBs, WRs, pass rushers and CBs get more love early on in the process. These guys are the ones with the easy stats to swallow. That DB had 7 INTs! Top 20 guy, for sure. That WR had 9 TDs! Etc. They're easier to get infatuated with. A pass rusher who only gets 7 sacks will fly under the radar, unless you watch a lot of tape, or until one of the pundits draw attention to him. A good coverage linebacker doesn't necessarily draw top rounds consideration early on, it's only when the spotlight is on them that people start talking about them. We, on this board, have paid attention to interior linemen over the last few months, but that's specific to a team that needs interior help, while the general consensus might omit a few of these guys, until attention is truly paid to them.

Honestly, whenever someone talks about this or that guy probably being out of our reach, I take it with a grain of salt. There's always someone who should perhaps have been a first rounder that ends up sliding to the middle-late second. The reason that happens, is because there are always teams who will draft someone who shouldn't have been a first rounder in the first. This year, especially in regard to receivers, I truly believe there will be a good one available to us, simply because of the numbers game. Yes, there are several who have the potential to be first rounders, but those that have that potential won't all be taken in the first. Several will be there in the second. 

WIth recent news about Foster and the likelihood that we'll re-sign Kilgore I've been thinking about that trade people talked about with Buffalo for their 20th and 21st.  How about Rashaan Evans and Billy Price (who played G before moving over to C this year ... plus we can move him over to C once our FO finally figures out that Kilgore is a below average C)?

at least something to keep in mind...

Georgia RB Sony Michel fumbles the ball every 54.6 times he touches the football, per a list compiled by Dane Brugler.

The average for a prospect is one fumble every 124.5 touches, so Michel's qualifies as a potential red flag. Other popular names who fit the "red flag" tier include Akrum Wadley (67.4) and Kalen Ballage (66.5). The opposite end of the spectrum includes Ronald Jones (207.7) and Saquon Barkley (193.3).

(roto)

I think Nelson is the guy I want most. DIdn't put him in the mock I did because I didn't think he'd be there for us.  Just saw a mock that had him going second. I don't think that's a realistic possibility, but it sure is looking like he won't be there at 9 or 10. The same draft had Denzel Ward, whom I put in my mock, going at 8. Not sure that's realistic either. They had us taking Roquan - which seems like a lot more likely pick after the past few days news.

Archived