BDL Discussion Thread 2024

Just now, bcb1213 said:

I won't spoil the other three active possible names but I'll be interested on how you got those numbers then

Same way I got the numbers for the other three.

8 hours ago, PR said:

Guys they all have to be running QBs they have low sack percentage and low completion percentage. 

Not a bad observation, although I would point out two things:

1. Running QBs have shockingly high sack rates generally, at least the ones I've looked up.

2. You'd be surprised at how low the rushing yards per game are for a couple of these guys that we would all immediately assume were dangerous with their legs in the NFL and were marketed as such in their pre-draft processes.

On 3/6/2024 at 4:30 PM, Blue said:

Actually, you know what, let's throw QB D in there:

QB A

54 games (47 starts), 30-17, 2 Pro Bowls, OROY

57.9%, 42 TDs (3.5%), 42 Ints (3.5%), 6.8 YPA, 150 PYPG, 5.9% sack rate

QB B

40 games (38 starts), 10-28, 0 Pro Bowls

60.3%, 40 TDs (4.2%), 30 Ints (3.1%), 7.0 YPA, 167 PYPG, 12.4% sack rate

QB C

63 games (61 starts), 29-32, 0 Pro Bowls

62.9%, 76 TDs (4.3%), 44 Ints (2.5%), 7.5 YPA, 210 PYGP, 8.1% sack rate

QB D

37 games (37 starts), 17-20, 1 Pro Bowl

62.5%, 54 TDs (4.4%), 37 Ints (3.0%), 7.4 YPA, 244 PYPG, 4% sack rate

You're a team that needs a QB, you know you aren't getting a starter in the draft or FA, these four guys are all available. Which one do you prefer and what are you trading for him?

QB A is Vince Young in Tennessee.

QB B is obviously Justin Fields.

QB C is Marcus Mariota in Tennessee.

QB D is Jay Cutler in Denver.

Fun facts: Vince Young finished third in CPOY during his second Pro Bowl season and made the Pro Bowl as the OROY. Both times he was an alternate for the Pro Bowl, however.

Mariota has, by a pretty decent margin, the best QB rating of these four QBs over any given three-year period. He has four seasons with a QB rating over 90; the other three combined for two, one each by Young and Cutler. Cutler's lone season with a QB rating over 90 was in 2015 at 32 years old, so pretty far out from my criteria of QBs on their rookie contract with the team that drafted them (I fudged that a little with Young's 5th year).

Cutler never made another Pro Bowl, not even as an alternate, after his final season in Denver and was statistically worse almost across the board over his 8 years in Chicago.

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

QB A is Vince Young in Tennessee.

QB B is obviously Justin Fields.

QB C is Marcus Mariota in Tennessee.

QB D is Jay Cutler in Denver.

Fun facts: Vince Young finished third in CPOY during his second Pro Bowl season and made the Pro Bowl as the OROY. Both times he was an alternate for the Pro Bowl, however.

Mariota has, by a pretty decent margin, the best QB rating of these four QBs over any given three-year period. He has four seasons with a QB rating over 90; the other three combined for two, one each by Young and Cutler. Cutler's lone season with a QB rating over 90 was in 2015 at 32 years old, so pretty far out from my criteria of QBs on their rookie contract with the team that drafted them (I fudged that a little with Young's 5th year).

Cutler never made another Pro Bowl, not even as an alternate, after his final season in Denver and was statistically worse almost across the board over his 8 years in Chicago.

I had a feeling these numbers were over sample size of different years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

You should put up minshews numbers.  You'd be shocked lol

Compare his number to Joe Montana. Minshew would shine brightly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Compare his number to Joe Montana. Minshew would shine brightly.

You really have zero idea of what Joe Montana's career was like, do you

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

what was your first clue, the different number of games played

On 3/3/2024 at 11:48 PM, Blue said:

Does it help if I tell you the other two guys are also minorities

This was the first hint. Young started for 4-5 years for Tennessee IIRC? 

Those numbers passing wouldn’t pass in todays game even if the player in question was the best running QB of all time.

Just now, MD4L said:

This was the first hint. Young started for 4-5 years for Tennessee IIRC? 

Those numbers passing wouldn’t pass in todays game even if the player in question was the best running QB of all time.

Joe Montana had a better completion percentage than Justin Fields' career best...in ten different seasons. He had a career 5.3% touchdown rate and 7.5 YPA in an era when defensive backs wore stick-um and could mug opposing receivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Joe Montana had a better completion percentage than Justin Fields' career best...in ten different seasons. He had a career 5.3% touchdown rate and 7.5 YPA in an era when defensive backs wore stick-um and could mug opposing receivers.

Turns out Joe was pretty good.

• Like 1