2024 Coaching Staff Changes

22 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Wasn't ours a TE coach? 

Yes. And, that’s actually not uncommon. 

TE coaches are usually some of the most involved position coaches on a staff, as they are involved with pass catching, pass blocking, and run blocking. They need to have a very strong understanding of the entire offense. 

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes. And, that’s actually not uncommon. 

TE coaches are usually some of the most involved position coaches on a staff, as they are involved with pass catching, pass blocking, and run blocking. They need to have a very strong understanding of the entire offense. 

I thought of that after posting they they would be involved in passing and running.  I didn't know how common it was.  Wasn't the Dolphins coach a WR coach? Or did he coach another position at some point?

20 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I thought of that after posting they they would be involved in passing and running.  I didn't know how common it was.  Wasn't the Dolphins coach a WR coach? Or did he coach another position at some point?

Yes, McDaniel was primarily a WR coach before he got the OC job in SF.  His OC was a TEs coach.  The Ravens OC was also a WR coach. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Yes he was. But he also coached other areas, as well. And that’s also not uncommon. Plenty of OCs have “WR Coach” on their resumes. But they also have other position groups, mainly QB coach, on their resume as well. 

McCardell has only been a WRs coach, collegiately or professionally. If he were to get hired by someone as OC, it would be unique.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Curtis Modkins replaced. 

He's the one I have blamed moreso than any other as far as the lack of running game.  They got better pieces and yet the running game was no better.  The common denominator was him as he is the run-game coordinator.  

• Like 2

Last offseason, during the NFL’s annual coaching carousel, McCardell interviewed for OC positions with the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but no deals materialized. Those conversations, though, proved the former NFL wideout was knocking on the door of his next chapter, which could arrive even this offseason.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/kirk-cryptic?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

If he ends up not getting a HC job, what are the odds that Flores and KOC bring in Vrabel to coach LBs (or possibly DL since he did that before too)? 

That would be quite the get for O’Connell. And a move very similar to Tomlin hiring Flores as his LB coach in 2022. 

But, I’ll be quite surprised if Vrabel isn’t hired as a head coach. Especially if the Dallas or Philadelphia job(s) open up. 

6 hours ago, GermanVike said:

From What I've read, Flores didn't have any HC interviews. I'm quite sure he stays.

I think Flores has earned at least some interviews for HC positions.  However, NFL owners are not necessarily a forgiving group as a whole.  I think there remains some scorn for Flores and his lawsuit.

• Like 1