2024 Coaching Staff Changes

Last offseason it was almost certain McCardell would be leaving Minnesota as he was interviewed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New England Patriots for their vacant offensive coordinator jobs. But Tampa Bay hired Dave Canales and New England chose Bill O’Brien, landing McCardell back to Minnesota.

Now, Darren Wolfson (SKOR North, KSTP) says that McCardell is hoping, yet again, for his chance to be an offensive coordinator. Not only that, but to also call plays. McCardell wanting to call plays, makes sense, especially if one day, he wants to be a head coach.

“Keenan is ready, in his mind, his representation’s mind, to call plays. He’s ready to make that step up that he’s on a path to one day, maybe in the next 5-ish years, to being a head coach. That is the ultimate goal. So, the next logical step is, ‘Hey I need to ascend to offensive coordinator. I need to call plays’.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/vikings-keenan-mccardell-wants-to-call-plays/?fbclid=IwAR0PYcKmS7088OC6ge0TRI08FxV4rg6DRBnROd6xmmmEc_tuY4tAryctTWI#google_vignette

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Last offseason it was almost certain McCardell would be leaving Minnesota as he was interviewed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New England Patriots for their vacant offensive coordinator jobs. But Tampa Bay hired Dave Canales and New England chose Bill O’Brien, landing McCardell back to Minnesota.

Now, Darren Wolfson (SKOR North, KSTP) says that McCardell is hoping, yet again, for his chance to be an offensive coordinator. Not only that, but to also call plays. McCardell wanting to call plays, makes sense, especially if one day, he wants to be a head coach.

“Keenan is ready, in his mind, his representation’s mind, to call plays. He’s ready to make that step up that he’s on a path to one day, maybe in the next 5-ish years, to being a head coach. That is the ultimate goal. So, the next logical step is, ‘Hey I need to ascend to offensive coordinator. I need to call plays’.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/vikings-keenan-mccardell-wants-to-call-plays/?fbclid=IwAR0PYcKmS7088OC6ge0TRI08FxV4rg6DRBnROd6xmmmEc_tuY4tAryctTWI#google_vignette

Potential spot for Keenan?

54 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I can’t see the Steelers bring someone as inexperienced as McCardell to be OC. Especially with how shaky the last couple have been. 

Canada was an experienced college OC.  🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Keenan McCardell and former New England Patriots star Wes Welker have been named offensive coordinators for the flag football contest at this year’s Pro Bowl Games, which will take place in February a week ahead of the Super Bowl. McCardell will work with the NFC side, while Welker will call plays for the AFC. Welker is currently the wide receivers coach for the Miami Dolphins.

McCardell: “It will be good to get out in front of the best of the best of the league. Just show your skill set — can you call plays and get guys the ball? It’s fun and I understand it’s an exhibition for those guys. I understand where their attention span is. I just know as it comes down to the end of the game, those competitive spirits get firing, you’ve got to be ready to call the right stuff for them. I just want to get a chance to show I can call plays.”

McCardell got several interviews for offensive coordinator positions last season and was rumored to have interest from the New Orleans Saints to fill that spot for them this offseason. While nothing has come of it yet, the Vikings shouldn’t expect that McCardell will be happy being the Vikings’ wide receivers coach forever. . .even if that does mean getting to work with Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison every day.

While being named the offensive coordinator for a flag football game might not seem like a big thing on the surface, McCardell has gotten enough respect around the league that they’ve given him the opportunity to do it.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/1/27/24052749/keenan-mccardell-offensive-coordinator-pro-bowl-games-minnesota-vikings?fbclid=IwAR3cYfho5FyL5uArSwaNdUMy-YH1CSdBeiy3oubDHu6uqiVsN19eEZIG8uc

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

i wonder if Thielen will develop coaching chops....

I don’t know. He strikes me more as a “ride off into the sunset” type. He’s also made a boatload more money than McCardell made in his career. 

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don’t know. He strikes me more as a “ride off into the sunset” type. He’s also made a boatload more money than McCardell made in his career. 

yeah.... he also strikes me as a "you dance with who brought ya" kind of guy too. he wouldn't have made a buck in the NFL unless the Vikes gave him a chance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Thielen looks like a future high school coach. 

yeah, i get that...

always the chance he could just be content being a WR coach and not looking for advancement. if he's any good at it all, but you'd think he could be, given his communication skills being strong.

and while he's a multi millionaire and doesn't need more money to have a comfortable family life, he and his wife run an outreach charity so he could keep funding that and make a difference. that's a good legacy to take into his middle age years.