2023 Wild Card Round: NFC 7) Green Bay Packers @ 2) Dallas Cowboys

Who wins?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Green Bay Packers
    • Dallas Cowboys

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/14/2024 at 09:30 PM

56 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya he needs to do it for longer. QBs have gone on heaters before. I don't think this is a mirage, but he needs to come in looking like this next year and he will cement himself. That is all. 

Or he can just beat the Niners and I'll crown him screw it.

First off, I agree about Qb's going on heaters.

Tell me this, though.  Who are the QB's who have gone on these heaters and then come back to Earth to be a pretty "meh" QB?

I only ask because I was trying to come up with a list of these guys the other day.  I thought maybe Flacco did.  Foles for sure.  I thought of Heinecke, but I don't think he had a stretch like Love just had.  And then I can't really remember many.

I know I'm missing some, who are they?

2 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

How would you compare Love to Stroud

People are going to point to how Stroud and Love had basically identical statlines over the weekend (the only difference was 2 yards)  But I think right now Love is passing at a higher level, in that some of the throws he made were higher difficulty throws than the ones Stroud was making (like 2/3 of the TDs.)  Stroud has benefited from more "college offense" stuff which is the norm for rookie QBs.

7 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

OOOH!  I like this one.  I've seen Stroud play once.  That is it.  Once.

Came away thinking that is about as close a comp as I can get with Love.

Each can move, but they look to use their legs to make throws, not necessarily to run for yardage.

Both have very live arms.

I thought that Stroud threw the 9 deep shots better.  Love threw the intermediate stuff better.  

But to me, I thought that their physical tools were very, very similar.  Scary almost.

8 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Why are you quoting at me like I said something negative about him? I've been very pleased about his recent level of play. Just because I said he sucked doesn't mean I was actively rooting for him to fail. Atleast I'm willing to admit I was wrong, you guys get so caught up in your feelings you'll never admit you were wrong about anything. 

I dig reading you saying that you were wrong.  All is forgiven on my end.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Tell me this, though.  Who are the QB's who have gone on these heaters and then come back to Earth to be a pretty "meh" QB?

I only ask because I was trying to come up with a list of these guys the other day.  I thought maybe Flacco did.  Foles for sure.  I thought of Heinecke, but I don't think he had a stretch like Love just had.  And then I can't really remember many.

Flacco. Foles. Wentz. RG3. Those are just off the top of my head. Really kind of depends on what the criteria is. One could argue a guy like Flacco shouldn't be on that list to begin with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Derek Carr comes to mind. Kyler as well. There have been quite a few I would have to really sit down and think about it.

But like I said, I don't think this is mirage. I just won't completely rule it out yet.

13 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

I've seen every game of Love this year and now up to 6 games of Stroud. IMO they are extremely similar talent wise but go about it different ways. Love reminds me a lot of Mahomes/Rodgers where his game is halfway predicated on those circus throws when off balance/one footed which can really be great in certain scenarios but also can cause a bit of inconsistency. Stroud reminds me more of a Brees/Brady. Deadly accurate with touch but is best when put into situations where he can step into throws and keep the general fundamentals. 

I'll have to say though its not really a fair comparison. What Love is doing right now is impressive but he has been in the league 3 years. Stroud being a rookie and making me think Brees/Brady is downright incredible. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Love came out hot in week 1, which tells me the growth people attribute to 'in season' growth was actually already done. That growth just disappeared when Love wasn't AS comfortable. His consistency and accuracy were issues for a short stretch of games early - but I think that was exacerbated by the play around him moreso than it was attributable to HIM.

He wasn't ready to carry a sloppy team (nor should he have been expected to be). Mahomes would have even struggled w/ that offense IMO.

Point being, ANY QB would have struggled in that situation, so I don't think the growth happened to Love nearly as much as it did everywhere else around him.

We agree, except for week one, and even then maybe not.

I feel like we were really well prepared for week one.  Like we must have spent weeks on that gameplan.

Then we got into the next stretch of games and it looked to me like this was a young team trying to figure it out on the fly.  And when I say "figure it out" I mean installing new plays and concepts in one week or so.

Then the whole team, Love included, got used to how that works and things got better.

My guess is that Love was more ready for the struggles concerning new plays/concepts as he must have been part of that as a primary backup.  But those young WR's and Te's probably weren't as ready.

So then I'm back to.....yeah.  More growth happened around Love.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Flacco. Foles. Wentz. RG3. Those are just off the top of my head. Really kind of depends on what the criteria is. One could argue a guy like Flacco shouldn't be on that list to begin with.

Wentz...yup.  Eliminate RG3 for me.  I'm not taking a guy off because his coach shredded his knee and derailed his career.

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Derek Carr comes to mind. Kyler as well. There have been quite a few I would have to really sit down and think about it.

But like I said, I don't think this is mirage. I just won't completely rule it out yet.

Wasn't Carr the picture of consistency for most of his career?  Like he was what he was?  I don't feel like he ever had a stretch like this.  He had good games, but not to this level like we are talking.

Kyler?  I don't know about that either.  Not disputing you at all, I just don't ever get to see him play.  And he's so young that I don't know what level he really ever was, is or could be.  But that's on me.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Wasn't Carr the picture of consistency for most of his career?  Like he was what he was?  I don't feel like he ever had a stretch like this.  He had good games, but not to this level like we are talking.

Kyler?  I don't know about that either.  Not disputing you at all, I just don't ever get to see him play.  And he's so young that I don't know what level he really ever was, is or could be.  But that's on me.

Carr was a legit MVP candidate in 2016. Think he finished second or third in MVP votes that year. Then he became just another mediocre, middle of the pack QB.

Kyler in 2021 was right in the MVP race for the first 3/4 of the season. He and that team kind of fell off after that, but he was looked at very, very highly there for a bit.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Baker second-half 2020

Lawrence second-half 2022

• Like 2