NFC Wild Card: 6. Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5) Sunday Night Football

Louis Friend

Rams @ Lions   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets revenge?

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

It’s your ex you know. Or the ending from Lala land… Now you guys gotta go get the chip. Seeing Brad Holmes go crazy was nuts. That guy was gonna turn super saiyan in that elevator. 

Oh, I know but outside of game time, I can still love the guy! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sad People said:

IMO Detroit has an easy path to the NFC Championship game.

I agree....but I will only be rooting for them if they play the Niners. Hoping the Eagles wake up tonight and then beat them down next week.

14 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The kind of thing they shouldn't have posted. Totally makes sense to say that to Goff, especially after that game.

But...doesn't matter what the Lions do, McVay kind of checkmated that situation by winning the Super Bowl immediately

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

The kind of thing they shouldn't have posted. Totally makes sense to say that to Goff, especially after that game.

But...doesn't matter what the Lions do, McVay kind of checkmated that situation by winning the Super Bowl immediately

Honestly, I think that revenge narrative meant more to his teammates than it did to Goff. They all wanted to get it for him, so I think Campbell used it as a team building thing to show that everyone has each others' backs. Don't think he really meant it as a shot at Mcvay even though it comes off that way. 

• Like 6

It wasn’t a shot at McVay, more so peoples opinions. Ever since the trade, including this week, it was all about Stafford, how Goff wasn’t good enough in LA, and “Staffords return to Ford Field”. Detroit, our playoffs, our QB, our players were placed on the back burner. This was Dan Campbell pumping up his guy, the guy who didn’t ask to be traded, got “sent to Siberia”, got drug through the mud and did nothing but come in, put his head down and work his *** off. Goff took the worst franchise in pro sports to the promised land (division title + playoff victory) that generations before could not, and some still refuse to acknowledge him. Not so much here. This is a site full of mostly knowledgeable fans. But outside. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It wasn’t a shot at McVay, more so peoples opinions. Ever since the trade, including this week, it was all about Stafford, how Goff wasn’t good enough in LA, and “Staffords return to Ford Field”. Detroit, our playoffs, our QB, our players were placed on the back burner. This was Dan Campbell pumping up his guy, the guy who didn’t ask to be traded, got “sent to Siberia”, got drug through the mud and did nothing but come in, put his head down and work his *** off. Goff took the worst franchise in pro sports to the promised land (division title + playoff victory) that generations before could not, and some still refuse to acknowledge him. Not so much here. This is a site full of mostly knowledgeable fans. But outside. 

Goff deserves the love. People treat him like he's a bum, instead of a good (but not great) QB. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Sort of. The problem though is on the other end of that, Goff brought something to Detroit that Stafford wasn’t able to. 

that being said, I think it was meant more as a gesture to Goff than a slight to McVay. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Goff deserves the love. People treat him like he's a bum, instead of a good (but not great) QB. 

No one will ever proclaim him the greatest QB ever, he is limited but he’s not trash. Even McVay has finally stated that he handled the situation incorrectly. I don’t know why that is so hard for others. 

Goff is not great. But he’s ours. And he’s good enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

No one will ever proclaim him the greatest QB ever, he is limited but he’s not trash. Even McVay has finally stated that he handled the situation incorrectly. I don’t know why that is so hard for others. 

Goff is not great. But he’s ours. And he’s good enough. 

Every QB has limitations. Goff's just happen to make him look like a totally inept goof when they kick in. It kind of reminds me of the hate Kirk Cousins got for most of his career, except Goff isn't as bad in big games. Simple truth is that Goff produces and wins. You know his weaknesses. You plan to mitigate them. And he can win you plenty of games. Hell, he's capable of winning you a Super Bowl. He won't be THE reason why you win. But he's not a net negative.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I thought he was just above bum level before he came to Detroit (y’all can check my post history here) and even his first year here I thought he was terrible. It wasn’t even about his stats his first year here, he just played totally scared. Campbell and company coached the “playing scared” out of him. I remember one time his first year on 4th down he intentionally threw the ball away instead of trying to make a difficult pass and risk an INT or something. IN 4TH DOWN lol. But I like him now and even if he’ll never be Mahomes he is a good/solid QB. 

Also, I think a lot of people overestimate how good you have to be to win a SB as a QB. Get the right team around you, get a tad of playoff luck, and 2/3 of the starting QBs have the capability to win a SB imo. I think we’ll start seeing that more now that Tom Brady isn’t in the Super Bowl every other year (although Mahomes could just take his place lol)

Edited by fortdetroit
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Idk at the end of the day the right choice was made. Stafford makes throws Goff can only dream about, well to be fair many QBs. He has a freaking rocket launcher strapped to his arm. We needed that, the way he processes information quickly and the way he avoids pressure in the pocket! It’s all A+.. Goff is a giraffe in the pocket… Also, my fav basketball team is the Indiana Pacers. They made a deal with the kings in which they got Hali a nice and up coming player for a proven all double double machine all star in Sabonis. At the time they had Fox! But Fox and Tyrese play the same position, neutralizing each other’s effect on/in the game. Maybe they could have worked out, but sure they couldn’t blossom is the super stars they are now. Tyrese has become Steve Nash with Kevin Durant efficiency in scoring. Fox has shined into a play making scoring demon.. Both are excellent and both excel in different variations in the game.. That’s one of the most win-win trades in basketball history. 

The same can be said about this deal. Stafford was not winning in Det. McVay was done with Goff. After Goff was paid he lost that hunger and became complacent with being ok. McVay demands excellence and striving for more. He wanted more out of Goff, he wanted Goff to challenge him, he wanted Goff to not be a yes man.. He talked about this a lot with Stafford. Stafford would tell him no I don’t like this take this off.. Stafford would be in the building all day building a relationship with Kupp. They’ll have having physical and mental reps all day.. Goff want built like that. This was a young kid coming off a SB who had just been dating a hot Babe. Goff figured life was good making the playoffs and not winning it was ok. But that super loss ate at McVay. Losing to Kyle ate at McVay. So hence the deal was made. It accelerated Detroits rebuilt and brought us a championship ring. Just in time for it be in LA. 

Went back and rewatched this episode. It’s a great listen if you care for it. Goes i depth of their up bringing and relationship.. 

at 34:30 they talk about the Stafford trade. Kyle loved and wanted Stafford as well. The way they blush over him.. 

TLDR; it was a great trade for both teams. McVay gave up on Goff. Goff found a home in det. Brad Holmes saw in Goff what many of us Goff defenders saw in him. He shows flashes of brilliance. He makes some of the most Insane accurate throws ever, but it’s not consistent. They saw year 1 what we saw in his last year(ugly wth moments) But he built himself back up year 2-3 in Det. He’s back to what he was.. All the credit goes to Dan and Co. It’s beautiful really..

I didn’t like the trade at the time. The misconception is one hella of thing ain’t it. I thought Stafford was a loser who stat padded.. It’s ok to be wrong, especially when the results are beautiful. When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. 

• Like 1