NFC Wild Card: 6. Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5) Sunday Night Football

Louis Friend

Rams @ Lions   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets revenge?

One thing that does give me heart is that Goff has never played really well in a post-season game. He got to the Super Bowl throwing one post-season touchdown (to two interceptions). The way the game is set up - Goff is going to need to carry some of the offense. The very reason McVay kicked him to the curb was because he didn't trust him in situations exactly like this and he's not proven him wrong - Sunday will be the ideal chance. 

The form the Rams in, that's Stafford in.. 7 wins in 8 with the only loss coming away at the Ravens in overtime. The Ravens who beat Niners & Dolphins badly. The Rams nearly had them if not for some very late Lamar magic. Rams are rightly the underdog for the game - we weren't ever expected to be in this position and had not been for some excellent drafting by Snead and outstanding coaching by McVay/Morris then we could've been looking at a top five pick. 

I've got no real expectation for the game, only optimism. If Lions win, I hope they go all the way! 

5 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

One thing that does give me heart is that Goff has never played really well in a post-season game. He got to the Super Bowl throwing one post-season touchdown (to two interceptions). The way the game is set up - Goff is going to need to carry some of the offense. The very reason McVay kicked him to the curb was because he didn't trust him in situations exactly like this and he's not proven him wrong - Sunday will be the ideal chance. 

The form the Rams in, that's Stafford in.. 7 wins in 8 with the only loss coming away at the Ravens in overtime. The Ravens who beat Niners & Dolphins badly. The Rams nearly had them if not for some very late Lamar magic. Rams are rightly the underdog for the game - we weren't ever expected to be in this position and had not been for some excellent drafting by Snead and outstanding coaching by McVay/Morris then we could've been looking at a top five pick. 

I've got no real expectation for the game, only optimism. If Lions win, I hope they go all the way! 

I think the one exception was the NFCCG against the Saints. Goff was money in that game.

But yea the loss to ATL, the Super Bowl, the wins over DAL and then SEA in 2020 - all pretty mediocre to poor performances by him.

8 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I simply can’t see a world in which the rams lose! Unless the Lions go crazy. This reminds me so much when we played against Atl in 17. We were the young team. Atlanta came in to La and beat us simply because they had experience. It was painful! But it led to better roads.. Playoff factor is a thing and one team is dripping from it. 

Rams have shut down some good stout games. Lions don’t go deep and that’s where the rams can be had. I see Stafford carving up Detroit with Kupp and Puka, I don’t think det has an answer. Plus setting up the run with arguably the second best RB this season. Idk. IlL be shocked if we lose. 

I wouldnt go that far. I definitely can see a world where the Rams lose. Ill start with the kicking game. My fear is that the Rams will lose in the playoffs due to an important missed kick or multiple missed kicks that was the difference in the game.

Im not worried about the emotions getting the best of Stafford in his return. He is calm under pressure and he actually plays at his best. I expect Stafford to ball out. I am worried about McVay trying to get too pass happy to allow Stafford to shine. I want this game to be like the Cards game in the playoffs two years ago. Make it easy on Stafford and let the running game dominate. Let Kyren go off. Limit the possessions of the Lions. I know the Lions will try to run the ball themselves with Montgomery and Gibbs. The Rams have been really good at stopping the run but these two backs behind that OL is a different animal. The Rams will catch a break with possibly not having LaPorta out there as the Rams struggle to stop tight ends. 

Also I think the Lions dont have a really good pass rush and their secondary isnt all that good. So it should be a high scoring game that I wont be shocked if it went either way. The pressure is all on the Lions. Goff will feel like he has something to prove himself. And McVay knows Goff extremely well. The Rams defense need to force Goff into a few mistakes and let Donald or Turner or Young get a few sacks. I think the Rams will win but if they lose I wouldnt be shocked. The Lions are the favs for a reason and plus if the Lions win and that will set up potentially them going back to Dallas in the divisional round it would be interesting to see them take a big exhale and focus on rewriting that wrong that happened to them weeks ago getting robbed by the refs. I can see the Lions beating Dallas and making it to the NFCCG. 

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm not going to argue with Rams fans about what Goff will do in the playoffs. I do not like this match-up at all. We'll need to get constant pressure on Stafford and be up by 2 scores with 2 minutes left. All Stafford does is win in the 4th.

In 2019 the whispers started. In 2020 I was OUT on Goff. I remember the exact game that broke me.....it was 3 turnovers against a bad Niners team with Nick Mullens or one of those bad Niner backups, a loss at home that allowed Seattle to take control of the division.

What ensued was essentially a civil war between Rams fans.....those that supported Goff and those that thought he was the issue.

When the trade happened, it was wild. The pro Goff Rams fans went in the "if we don't win a Super Bowl it's a failure" direction.....obviously thinking, only 1/32 teams can win it all. No way that will happen right?

All to say.....for those of us that were unequivocally right about the situation, it's an easy argument for us to win. We saw it, we called it, we asked for it and then the result was a Super Bowl win.

To me (and this is not a knock on Goff even though most people take it that way) he is the ULTIMATE product of his environment. Defined by it. If you have the best supporting cast/coach combo in the NFL, he will look great and will lead the best offense in the NFL. The problem for us in building around him and paying him was that organically, the team around him slowly deteriorated. The Lions circumvented this by having so much draft capital (cheap labor) and spending it wisely.

On the flip side, Stafford elevates the players around him. This didn't really happen in Detroit, at least not consistently - so the pro Goff Rams fans saw the Rams trading for a "loser" - there were SEVERAL Rams fans, some on this site too, that flat out said they wouldn't have traded Goff for Stafford STRAIGHT UP, which is pretty funny in hindsight.

Where this becomes relevant though, is for consistency and/or one off playoff games. Every Rams offensive player not named Stafford seemed to try to give the game away to the Bucs in the 2022 divisional round. Where Goff will, over time, lead a great offense because good players around him are good more often than they are bad - he will also fail to overcome deficiencies in one off games (we lose to the Bucs with Goff at QB, for example). He may light us up Sunday night - this may be the best offense he's played with, which is saying something....but I can promise you right now, you won't win a Super Bowl with him as your QB.

30 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

I think I can speak for us Rams fans who think the same. If the Lions win we will be rooting for them to go all the way. I want Goff to get his ring. There is nothing wrong with a trade being a win-win and if the Lions can find postseason success and build for a bright future from the Stafford trade then it will be the blue print for what a real win-win trade looks like that honestly will be hard to top in NFL history. Really sports history. Plus we know the Rams won a Superbowl with Stafford and future looks bright too. So the Lions and Rams could find themselves battling yearly in the playoffs for the right to get to and possibly win the Superbowl. 

• Like 1

After being traded it would have been easy for Goff to go into a funk. He made his way through an entire season up to the biggest stage and lost by a few points. Then was traded to a perineal loser. He could have balked and waited to be traded. But he didn't. That took a lot of character. They showed a lot of moxie beating Green Bay in the last game last year even though it meant no playoffs for them. I'm going with the Lions. 

• Like 1

The rematch next year should be played on Thanksgiving, which would be the Rams' first Thanksgiving game since 1975, ending the longest active drought.

• Like 1

This one is probably going to be the funnest game of wild card weekend.

Rams: 7-1 over their last 8 

Lions: 3-1 over the last month of the season

Obviously the Goff/Stafford thing as well.

Either way the outcome will be cool, Goff leads the Lions to their first playoff win since 1991 against his former team / Stafford gets a win over his long time team and the Rams are suddenly looking like a real contender in the NFC