2024 Off Season Thread

24 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

With the Vikings/Texans trade (LOL at Nick Caserio for that deal) it's clear that there could be as many as five QBs drafted in to the top-10, meaning if stand pat at 12 we're going to get a top-5 non-QB prospect. Given that there are some highly ranked OTs, a position I doubt would be on our radar, we'd be positioned to get a top-5 non-QB, non-OT prospect. We could walk away from the first round with an elite EDGE, an elite CB, an elite WR or Brock Bowers. 

I doubt he would fall that far, but Rome Odunze seems like a Payton type receiver.  Kind of in that Colston/Thomas mold, except Odunze is faster.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

With the Vikings/Texans trade (LOL at Nick Caserio for that deal) it's clear that there could be as many as five QBs drafted in to the top-10, meaning if stand pat at 12 we're going to get a top-5 non-QB prospect. Given that there are some highly ranked OTs, a position I doubt would be on our radar, we'd be positioned to get a top-5 non-QB, non-OT prospect. We could walk away from the first round with an elite EDGE, an elite CB, an elite WR or Brock Bowers. 

I don't understand what Houston was doing there lol. Weird trade.

But yeah, lotta chatter right now that 4 QBs likely to go Top 6. If that's the case, which it probably will end up as, I wouldn't be shocked to see us trade back once, maybe twice. Might be lining up as a year where we stock up picks, take a QB in R2/R3, and fill out other areas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I don't understand what Houston was doing there lol. Weird trade.

Probably has something to do with drafting the offensive and defensive ROY in last years draft. It'd be interesting to know what they're thinking.

• Like 2

I’m of the “Get a QB in the Maye-Nix range or DON’T draft a QB” mindset.

Would like to see us trade back and go BPA at other positions (where value is better) if we’re not going all-in. Not entirely sure what a mid/late round QB accomplishes w/ a roster like this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If we draft a QB this year he HAS to sit. Given the makeup of the roster, if we throw him in early he will get wrecked. And given the impatience and immaturity of this fanbase and media, if he plays this year and doesn’t look like Patrick Mahomes by his 3rd game and doesn’t command the interviews and press conferences like age 33 Peyton Manning, everyone will say he’s a bust and turn on him. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If we draft a QB this year he HAS to sit. Given the makeup of the roster, if we throw him in early he will get wrecked. And given the impatience and immaturity of this fanbase and media, if he plays this year and doesn’t look like Patrick Mahomes by his 3rd game and doesn’t command the interviews and press conferences like age 33 Peyton Manning, everyone will say he’s a bust and turn on him. 

I think there's a whole lot to that. QB's coming out of college just aren't ready for the mental aspect of the  game and need a year +- of mentoring to get ready, much like Reid did with Mahomes/Carr.

I don't think Stidham's our answer at QB and I doubt our FO does either. If he's absorbing the offense and it's intricacies though he could be the perfect mentor. I guess that's another reason why replacing Stidham with another strop-gap makes no sense to me. With the addition of Carmichael we're absolutely stacked in the QB/System coaching room. Give Stidham another year as the starter and he may be the perfect bridge/backup QB.

39 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think there's a whole lot to that. QB's coming out of college just aren't ready for the mental aspect of the  game and need a year +- of mentoring to get ready, much like Reid did with Mahomes/Carr.

I don't think Stidham's our answer at QB and I doubt our FO does either. If he's absorbing the offense and its intricacies though he could be the perfect mentor. I guess that's another reason why replacing Stidham with another strop-gap makes no sense to me. With the addition of Carmichael we're absolutely stacked in the QB/System coaching room. Give Stidham another year as the starter and he may be the perfect bridge/backup QB.

I agree with this.  I think every one of these QBs could use a year minimum getting NFL coaching and learning the system.  There will be outliers but it’s a crapshoot.  Even Stroud in Houston was complete luck, they had no idea how quickly he’d process information.  

The amount of under 25 QBs getting traded is unheard of.  It’s because the teams drafting them had no idea what they were getting, even the best draft evaluation teams (Steelers, Patriots) are trading young QBs for nothing.  Shanahan moving on from a top 3 pick after 2 years.  Even NFL evaluators and the best ones don’t have a clue when it comes to QB.

• Like 1

It's been said Payton's offense is one of the hardest to learn, so it's a no-brainer to allow a rookie to sit a year. Realistically, Nix or Penix is the only opportunity we'll have at a QB, hopefully with a trade back to pick up extra picks

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

It's been said Payton's offense is one of the hardest to learn, so it's a no-brainer to allow a rookie to sit a year. Realistically, Nix or Penix is the only opportunity we'll have at a QB, hopefully with a trade back to pick up extra picks

Penix is a MASSIVE hard pass for me. Take project before him. Just no no no no NO. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Penix is a MASSIVE hard pass for me. Take project before him. Just no no no no NO. 

Penix had the BEST QB workout but I'm with you, beyond the injury history, he's a lefty which would mean McGlinchey his blind-side a massive mistake IMO

Wouldn't mind checking into  LB Leighton Vander Esch. Dal released him due to failing a physical, but he's only 28yo, has some good size as well as physicality, something we could use in the middle. We can keep Drew Sanders playing ILB if he doesn't pan out, but we could use the depth if we don't find someone in the draft.

Edited by Cutler06

Coming from a Packers fan, would Broncos fans be interested if GB traded;

Broncos receive: 25, 58 and 2025 2nd 

Packers receive: Patrick Surtain & 76

If not, why? Thinking this could give you guys more assets if they want to trade up for a QB or even more assets allowing them to trade down at 12 to start building up the roster. 

11 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

Coming from a Packers fan, would Broncos fans be interested if GB traded;

Broncos receive: 25, 58 and 2025 2nd 

Packers receive: Patrick Surtain & 76

If not, why? Thinking this could give you guys more assets if they want to trade up for a QB or even more assets allowing them to trade down at 12 to start building up the roster. 

the price for Surtain starts at two first and a second he's a shut down corner. Trade is kinda insulting. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

the price for Surtain starts at two first and a second he's a shut down corner. Trade is kinda insulting. 

That’s interesting. 25 plus the difference between 58 & 76, in addition the 2025 2nd is nearly equivalent to 2 1sts. The rumor was that was the asking price last year at the trade deadline. 

I really liked Cody Barton coming out of Utah.  I haven’t watched much NFL outside of the Broncos, but seems like he’s been very productive over the past couple seasons.  At worst should provide some needed depth at ILB.