2024 Off Season Thread

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

If the Shanahans had any idea what RGIII and Cousins were gonna turn into, they would’ve traded that haul and taken Kirk at 2 and used the 4th rounder on someone else.

Pure blind luck.

Dan Snyder was the one who wanted RGIII, Mike was the one who took Cousins and now it's Mike laughing while Snyder is on a yacht somewhere without ownership of a NFL team. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If the Shanahans had any idea what RGIII and Cousins were gonna turn into, they would’ve traded that haul and taken Kirk at 2 and used the 4th rounder on someone else.

Pure blind luck.

so they both just lucked into franchise qb steals? mike Shanahan I believe it was ownership that made him take RG3 so I'm not sure if that's luck .

34 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

so they both just lucked into franchise qb steals? mike Shanahan I believe it was ownership that made him take RG3 so I'm not sure if that's luck .

Yes.

I’ll give Mike a partial mulligan on RGIII, we can put that on Snyder. However, if he thought Kirk Cousins was The Real Guy, there’s no way he’s taking someone named Josh LeRibeus ahead of him in the 3rd round. ‘Yeah yeah, Kirk Cousins is gonna be our actual franchise QB, I just wanna grab this guard out of SMU first.’

Jeff Lewis, Brian Griese, Jarious Jackson, Matt Mauck, Bradlee Van Pelt, and Jay Cutler is hardly a murderer’s row of QB’s drafted by the guru in Denver. 

14 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It’s all luck. All of it. The same franchise that made the second worst trade for a QB in NFL history all of a sudden got smart and picked a top 10 QB with the last pick in the draft a year later? If they had any idea Brock Purdy was gonna be That Guy, and they picked 8 other guys before him, that’s even stupider than the Trey Lance trade.

Show me a team that hits on a star QB by taking him substantially higher than his consensus draft ranking, and I’ll believe someone in this world has some kind of QB prognostication skill. 

It really is throwing darts - if it wasn't Mahomes would have gone at no.1  - certainly ahead of Tubrisky - not at no. 10.

You draft any QB but until you get him into the building you never really know what you have.

And by the way - I would always draft the guy with a brain over the guy without one who has more talent but no brain.

30 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Yes.

I’ll give Mike a partial mulligan on RGIII, we can put that on Snyder. However, if he thought Kirk Cousins was The Real Guy, there’s no way he’s taking someone named Josh LeRibeus ahead of him in the 3rd round. ‘Yeah yeah, Kirk Cousins is gonna be our actual franchise QB, I just wanna grab this guard out of SMU first.’

Jeff Lewis, Brian Griese, Jarious Jackson, Matt Mauck, Bradlee Van Pelt, and Jay Cutler is hardly a murderer’s row of QB’s drafted by the guru in Denver. 

There was no partial Mulligan - Snyder made that pick over Mike's objections. After the RG3 pick Snyder to Shanahan to do whatever he wanted. Mike wanted Cousins and he drafted him.

The rest of the list shows how hard it is to draft a QB - it really is pot-luck. And note - Lewis was drafted as a back-up to Elway - Greise made the pro-bowl in 2000 and had three winning seasons with the Broncos - Jackson was drafted in the 7th round - Shanahan signed Jake Plummer as a FA in 2003 - Mauck and Van Pelt were both 7th rounders in the same draft - Shanahan drafted Cutler and sat him behind Plummer. We have no idea what Cutler could have developed into if Ellis hadn't shafted Mike after the 2008 season.

Even the famous draft of 1983 when Elway, Jim Kelly, Ken O'Brien and Marino were drafted - Elway went first, but the Chiefs drafted Todd Blackledge before the other 3 and Tony Eason was drafted by the Pats in the spot after Kelly.

And just to show that it doesn't just happen with QBs - Karl Mecklenburg was taken by the Broncos in Round 12 of the same draft as Elway after 309 other players were already picked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

He didn't need to - he had Brees - in the same way that Mike had Elway.

And Reid had McNabb in Philly yet still developed and cultivated talent. Traded aj Feely for a second round pick after spending a 5th on him and got a second and DRC for Kolb after his rookie deal. 

On 3/22/2024 at 1:36 PM, BroncoSojia said:

I think the only QB not named Caleb that the Broncos should even consider trading up for is Drake Maye.  The rest you could probably trade back, pick up some more draft capital and still get a QB.  I am hoping the Broncos aren't thinking they need to draft this year, if there guy isn't there.  But I still hope they draft a QB somewhere in the draft like Spencer Ratlter, or if Penix slides to the 3rd, maybe take that flier on him.  

• Like 4

On 3/21/2024 at 10:23 AM, thebestever6 said:

I think Lance was a product of people chasing the next Josh allen had all the amazing tools and athletism. And I think Purdy was an over correction of that he was known coming out to go through reads lightning quick. So I think Shanahan wanted a guy with the skills Lance lacked and it turned out to he a great pick.

why not pick purdy higher well because you already gave up premium picks to get Lance.

I always read your username as "the best Steve ever", and since I'm Steve (full name spelled with a "ph" though), I must disagree! Haha

Anyways, interesting stuff you guys have going on here. I think the Broncos stay put at 1.12 and take Bo Nix. I'm not sure if it's the right move, but I can't see the owner, coaches or fans being happy with just Stidham and DiNucci.

**Fun fact** I used to work with DiNucci's cousin, and my own cousin used to go to school with Ben DiNucci back in high school. He told me that he acted like an entitled prick once his name got big in the area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I always read your username as "the best Steve ever", and since I'm Steve (full name spelled with a "ph" though), I must disagree! Haha

Anyways, interesting stuff you guys have going on here. I think the Broncos stay put at 1.12 and take Bo Nix. I'm not sure if it's the right move, but I can't see the owner, coaches or fans being happy with just Stidham and DiNucci.

**Fun fact** I used to work with DiNucci's cousin, and my own cousin used to go to school with Ben DiNucci back in high school. He told me that he acted like an entitled prick once his name got big in the area.

it's really a complete guess at this point this front office keeps everything in house which is good in the end. The Elway front office leaked everything lol.

• Like 1