2024 Off Season Thread

Throughout our 5 game win streak I was laughing at the end of every one. It was pretty absurd. +13 in turnovers over a 5 game stretch. Even then we won 3 of them  by a total of 5 points and 4 out of the 5 at home. It was really pretty comical. I've never seen a stretch like that.

Then, back to reality. Six more games, 2 wins over the Chargers and the rest losses, even to the Pats at home. That was awful.

We couldn't stop anyone.  Opposing punters got quite a rest. Even NE, the worst offensive team in the league came into Denver and dropped 26 on us, 12 above their average.

Anyway, we're pretty awful on D, just sayin. I doubt the loss of Simmons Josey and Kareem will help much.

Roster wise we're probably the worst team ever to draft at 12.

53 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Throughout our 5 game win streak I was laughing at the end of every one. It was pretty absurd. +13 in turnovers over a 5 game stretch. Even then we won 3 of them  by a total of 5 points and 4 out of the 5 at home. It was really pretty comical. I've never seen a stretch like that.

Then, back to reality. Six more games, 2 wins over the Chargers and the rest losses, even to the Pats at home. That was awful.

We couldn't stop anyone.  Opposing punters got quite a rest. Even NE, the worst offensive team in the league came into Denver and dropped 26 on us, 12 above their average.

Anyway, we're pretty awful on D, just sayin. I doubt the loss of Simmons Josey and Kareem will help much.

Roster wise we're probably the worst team ever to draft at 12.

Oh I agree 100%. I was happy to see some wins but anyone who thought that that 5-game win streak was anything other than false hope and I think most of us knew that at the time. 

• Like 2

To be honest, I’m still happy we won those games even if it was a strange mirage. It showed me that even with lack of talent and even after the embarrassing start to the year Sean had these guys competing. Thats the silver lining to a horrible year and an awkward draft position. 

• Like 6

Given our unimpressive offseason, more talent going out than in, as well as our deficit of draft picks, anyone want to speculate on what our 2025 draft position will look like and what our record will be ? My guess is we'll have a top 4 pick with a 4-13 record. 

21 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Given our unimpressive offseason, more talent going out than in, as well as our deficit of draft picks, anyone want to speculate on what our 2025 draft position will look like and what our record will be ? My guess is we'll have a top 4 pick with a 4-13 record. 

Obviously we will know a lot more after the draft. That said, Payton's worst EVER season was 7-9, which to @Zukhyubern point, shows just how much success he can squeeze out of a rotten lemon. I do honestly think even with Stidham or Wilson at QB, we would probably go around 7-10 or maybe 6-11 due to the ease of our schedule and Sean. That wouldn't be a top4 pick but it puts us in another pretty good position to maneuver to boost talent either with another high pick or another trade back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I mean, probably? No one else had a game like Miami on their résumé. But Miami happened.

Just curious because to temper expectations we’re always saying our team is not as good as our best or as bad as or worst games.

16 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

To be honest, I’m still happy we won those games even if it was a strange mirage. It showed me that even with lack of talent and even after the embarrassing start to the year Sean had these guys competing. Thats the silver lining to a horrible year and an awkward draft position. 

Eh. I get what you're saying, but I also have seen plenty of Broncos fans convince themselves these "moral wins" mean something since 2015 and it has changed precisely nothing. Those wins were fluky, and while they were fun, they took us out of the running for better QB prospects. These guys were competing under Vic (especially on defense) too. 

Unless and until Payton takes this team to the playoffs or builds a consistent contender, the trade for him was ill-advised and a waste of draft capital that we shouldn't have been giving up. I'll stand by that until I see results that are different than the at or below .500 record we've seen since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Eh. I get what you're saying, but I also have seen plenty of Broncos fans convince themselves these "moral wins" mean something since 2015 and it has changed precisely nothing. Those wins were fluky, and while they were fun, they took us out of the running for better QB prospects. These guys were competing under Vic (especially on defense) too. 

Unless and until Payton takes this team to the playoffs or builds a consistent contender, the trade for him was ill-advised and a waste of draft capital that we shouldn't have been giving up. I'll stand by that until I see results that are different than the at or below .500 record we've seen since.

On the flip side, let’s say we lose 2 of those 3 games we won by a combined 5 points during that streak: we finish with a pick in the 6-8 range (depending on how the SOS shakes out), which changes exactly nothing. We aren’t getting one of the top 3 guys, so we’re still in the Penix/McCarthy/Nix range. 

Imagine how mad everyone would be with Nix at *7*! Haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

On the flip side, let’s say we lose 2 of those 3 games we won by a combined 5 points during that streak: we finish with a pick in the 6-8 range (depending on how the SOS shakes out), which changes exactly nothing. We aren’t getting one of the top 3 guys, so we’re still in the Penix/McCarthy/Nix range. 

Imagine how mad everyone would be with Nix at *7*! Haha 

Maybe, but you could also make the case that a trade for the Top 3 guys becomes more palatable for some of those teams. Who knows. What you're saying is correct based on how the draft shook out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

what happens to Drew Sanders? He's probably our 5th best edge now, 4th best Linebacker, and we brought back Strnard on special teams. Is he already on the bubble?

No, he's going to play ILB. There's no shot he's on the bubble unless something drastic happens. I think it's clear he wasn't a fit at OLB which they were hoping he would be, so now he'll have some role at ILB. Cody Barton is only on a 1-year deal anyway.

• Like 1