2024 Off Season Thread

Well, this year didn't exactly go great for us, but I do think it was a step up from the recent past. That's not saying much but we do now have stability and continuity from the ownership to the front office to the coaching staff. 

Now, we turn our attention to what figures to be one of most interesting off-seasons in recent memory. 

HERE is my favorite place for checking on salary cap information. 

Currently, we have six draft picks, they are as follows, prior to the announcement of compensatory picks.

Round 1: own pick (12th overall)
Round 3: via NO (Sean Payton trade)
Round 4: via MIA (Bradley Chubb trade)
Round 5: own pick
Round 5: via NYJ (Jake Marin trade)
Round 6: via SF (Randy Gregory trade)

The first big piece of news came down last night when Troy Renck, among others, reported that GM George Paton's job is safe. 

https://x.com/TroyRenck/status/1744240170377822373?s=20

The fact that this came out so quickly tells me his future was never really much in doubt. As Troy referenced and as I've heard reported by others, George and Sean have a good working relationship. It is clearly Sean's show now and it appears George is comfortable with that arrangement. 

• Like 2

I kinda see 4 scenarios for this offseason: 

1) Basically the one that @broncos_fan _from _uk proposed where he essentially try to absolutely maximize our "darts" including trading back and trading players that won't be part of the next playoff run. As I said in this thread, this is the one where Paton actually had most draft success with 6 of those guys still starting or playing a prominent role on our roster. Probably my preference TBH as it gives a chance to be good now (depending on how the prospects turn out), but also fit into a much longer plan if we still suck and are able to draft a QB after being one of the worst teams in the league

2) Sean dictates that we put something together like, 2024 first and third, 2025 first, second, and Jeudy to Chi for Caleb (the guy he's on record showing love for). It would certainly be a bold move but would potentially set us up for a Houston-like turnaround if he works out. However, it could also result in yet another bust of epic proportions which sets us back years and may not even be possible in the first place if Chi wants to move on from Fields.

3) We stand pat at our #12 and get BPA. That could mean a draft like the Fields one with a dude like Wiggins to pair with Surtain. If we went defense, maybe one of the top2 Edge guys that will likely be available or forum favorite Newton. I suppose there's always an opportunity Penix falls and Sean decides he wants to try it out. This would be my second preference though I will admit slow, as it means we are looking at probably a 2025 or 26 start to a playoff window or worse yet keeps us in mediocrity.

4) Extremely unlikely but I guess technically possible. I'll just call this the Merilatt where we somehow salvage relations with Russ, keep him, and try to fill out the roster around him with a few more pieces. TBH this one is just dumb and gets us nowhere except MAYBE a first round exit only to be truly awful in following years. I'd probably prefer option 2 if available over this as at least there's a CHANCE of it being a home run.

• Like 2

I'm ambivalent as to what we do as long as we do something that indicates a clear direction instead of Elway's rebuild and reload philosophy. Broncos FO is so wildly afraid of simply tanking because it might put off some casuals but had we just done this years ago we might be in better shape than the purgatory we're in now.

I don't think we have what it takes to get to #1, but if we really want to get aggressive, I'd suggest we consider packaging Surtain, Jeudy, #12, and some 2025 picks to get there. I don't know if Chicago goes for it, but I do think it's gotta be on the table.

• Like 2

One other thing I'd consider is going after Sam Howell this offseason. I don't think Howell is a world beater but he's a better QB than people think. He's still young and should be relatively cheap considering Washington is going to move in a new direction with their pick.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Currently, we have six draft picks, they are as follows, prior to the announcement of compensatory picks

I wouldn't worry about compensatory picks. We were way too big of a player in UFA to get anything come our way. https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

My preferred outcomes for the offseason are either:

1) Go ultra-aggressive for a QB at the top of the draft. We're going to suck regardless the next couple of years, so if its the wrong QB, we'll have our picks back by the time 2026 rolls around to have another go.

2) The @broncos_fan _from _uk approach of 'throw enough **** at the wall and hope some of it sticks', i.e get loads of picks and lets build a core of young talent, whilst bringing in a young QB who has a chance of at least entertaining us.

27 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I wouldn't worry about compensatory picks. We were way too big of a player in UFA to get anything come our way. https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

My preferred outcomes for the offseason are either:

1) Go ultra-aggressive for a QB at the top of the draft. We're going to suck regardless the next couple of years, so if its the wrong QB, we'll have our picks back by the time 2026 rolls around to have another go.

2) The @broncos_fan _from _uk approach of 'throw enough **** at the wall and hope some of it sticks', i.e get loads of picks and lets build a core of young talent, whilst bringing in a young QB who has a chance of at least entertaining us.

that’s not always my approach. But we are lacking in talent and depth at so many spots (thanks to trading away so many high draft picks) that the “concentrate our assets into 1-2 players” approach doesn’t make sense to me at this point 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The first big piece of news came down last night when Troy Renck, among others, reported that GM George Paton's job is safe. 

https://x.com/TroyRenck/status/1744240170377822373?s=20

The fact that this came out so quickly tells me his future was never really much in doubt. As Troy referenced and as I've heard reported by others, George and Sean have a good working relationship. It is clearly Sean's show now and it appears George is comfortable with that arrangement. 

In the spirit of building continuity and strengthening our internal relationships I'm ok with this move. That said he should have no leash for another massive blunder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

When I initially posted I had the pick #s, whcih will change from round 4+ because of the comp picks, which, as you point out, we're not getting any.

I hope we don't fall into the trap that we have to draft a QB this year on day one or two.  I think they should always draft a QB even in the 6th or 7th round.  But in 2025 there is Shedeur and the Duke QB available.  If Bo Nix is there in the 6th, okay, draft him.  But I think we need to get tougher in the trenches.  DLs seem to take awhile to develop, so draft those guys now.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I hope we don't fall into the trap that we have to draft a QB this year on day one or two.  I think they should always draft a QB even in the 6th or 7th round.  But in 2025 there is Shedeur and the Duke QB available.  If Bo Nix is there in the 6th, okay, draft him.  But I think we need to get tougher in the trenches.  DLs seem to take awhile to develop, so draft those guys now.

I like the 2025 class. Drew Allar, Carson Beck, Jaxon Dart in addition to Sanders and Riley Leonard (will be at ND next year). All are better all around prospects than everyone in this class besides Drake and Caleb.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I like the 2025 class. Drew Allar, Carson Beck, Jaxon Dart in addition to Sanders and Riley Leonard (will be at ND next year). All are better all around prospects than everyone in this class besides Drake and Caleb.

That is a good line up of QBs.  I'd go after the harder-to-develop positions this year, knowing next year is a rebuild.  For instance, if Brock Bowers is there at 12, one of the Paytons better run that card up there to get him.  That will solidify the TE position for a bit.  And honestly, he might not take that long to develop; the dude is solid. 

Running back needs to be a focal point for next year. Javonte looked less than ideal and lacked explosiveness. Perine is a very effective 3rd down back. McLaughlin provided some spark but is likely not the full time guy. I'd love Blake Corum on this team but would have to be with that R3 pick and he's going to end up in R2. Just not really sold on the talent or health at that position at the moment.