2024 Off Season Thread

23 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Running back needs to be a focal point for next year. Javonte looked less than ideal and lacked explosiveness. Perine is a very effective 3rd down back. McLaughlin provided some spark but is likely not the full time guy. I'd love Blake Corum on this team but would have to be with that R3 pick and he's going to end up in R2. Just not really sold on the talent or health at that position at the moment.

I agree. I think this season will show what javinte can return to. He’s still only a little over a year out from tearing his ACL and he just played the entire season! That’s said, I like Corum but I think his teammate Edwards will be the better NFL back. He’s a better receiver and pass blocker. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Running back needs to be a focal point for next year. Javonte looked less than ideal and lacked explosiveness. Perine is a very effective 3rd down back. McLaughlin provided some spark but is likely not the full time guy. I'd love Blake Corum on this team but would have to be with that R3 pick and he's going to end up in R2. Just not really sold on the talent or health at that position at the moment.

Also, I for one am expecting Javonte to be back to 100% with an entire offseason, his recovery should be complete by then.  

One of the things I heard on the Fan that brought concern in selecting Penix is that he's left-handed. That would mean McGlinchey would be protecting his blind-side, NOT one of his forte's

Edited by Cutler06

10 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Also, I for one am expecting Javonte to be back to 100% with an entire offseason, his recovery should be complete by then.  

I don't know that he'll be 100% again. What do we even think 100% looks like? His comeback is already impressive and I'm not taking anything away from it, but we do need to realize that it's entirely possible he's going to plateau where he's at. This offense cannot work with a 3.5 YPC back.

11 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

One of the things I heard on the Fan that brought concern in selecting Penix is that he's left-handed. That would mean McGlinchey would be protecting his blind-side, NOT one of his forte's

I would move McGlinchey to G at this point. 

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Meinerz is one of the best G's in the NFL right now, not replacing him with McGlinchey. Besides, we would still have a hole to fill at RT, who ya got now ?

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I don't know that he'll be 100% again. What do we even think 100% looks like? His comeback is already impressive and I'm not taking anything away from it, but we do need to realize that it's entirely possible he's going to plateau where he's at. This offense cannot work with a 3.5 YPC back.

The opposite could be said just as easily true, he could get back to averaging 4.5ypc which would excell for this offence

Edited by Cutler06

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Meinerz is one of the best G's in the NFL right now, not replacing him with McGlinchey. Besides, we would still have a hole to fill at RT, who ya got now ?

You could put Quinn at C and put a rookie or Palzewski at RT. 

What do yall make of our management press conference? I thought it was interesting Sean and George both said it's possible that Russ is back. Maybe it's just to leave the door open for a trade but struck me as odd especially since George also went into not being worried about the dead cap. Penner was talking about expecting to be better next year which could just be saying the professional line instead of the truth, but I think it was probably truly how he felt. The group has done nothing but try to quickly improve the team since buying it and willing to pretty much spend whatever it takes to do so.

George also made a comment about being happy we have 6 picks this year but also that he always wants to have more. Maybe this is a tip that we could indeed be trading back for more picks in the draft? He also made it clear we are not getting rid of Surtain and I found it interesting the love he gave to our last draft class, essentially stating they were all great on special teams...which is true....but let's not act like we weren't disappointed in Moss and Sanders when they got real playing time. 

I'm very curious to see where we go with this and for all the hate Sean gets, I loved seeing him take responsibility and essentially take some of the blame for the offense and that he can do better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

I'm very curious to see where we go with this and for all the hate Sean gets, I loved seeing him take responsibility and essentially take some of the blame for the offense and that he can do better.

To be fair he’s been a complete and unabashed d*ck in press conferences this year so it’s somewhat warranted 😂

Agree -  good to see some ownership being taken.  Paton has some very real blemishes on his GM record has tact + humility a good relationship with Penner and Payton, and I think he works really hard so I’d like to see him stick around for 2024.

Only concerning thing from the press conference was Penner making reference to winning more games next year… unless it comes on the back of a great rookie class, I hope we’re not chasing a wild card spot with FA vets.  

This roster needs a full 12mo juice cleanse and that probably means a step (or two) back in the meantime. 

• Like 1

Any thoughts on replacing Vance Joseph with Mike Vrabel, making him DC/Asst HC to help out SP ? While Joseph seems to be loved by some of our defensive players (especially Justin Simmons), Vrabel has been a HC and a defensive coordinator with a lot of success im recent years

44 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Any thoughts on replacing Vance Joseph with Mike Vrabel, making him DC/Asst HC to help out SP ? While Joseph seems to be loved by some of our defensive players (especially Justin Simmons), Vrabel has been a HC and a defensive coordinator with a lot of success im recent years

I mean...that would be great except Vrabel will absolutely be the top of the top tier of people's head coaching searches this year. It would also probably one of the "too many cooks in the kitchen" type scenarios too as he and Sean are both alpha dogs that have strong opinions about ways things are ran.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

You could put Quinn at C and put a rookie or Palzewski at RT. 

Lots of ways to work with the OL. Moving Meinerz isn't one. Finding a good RG is tough enough and meinerz is turning out to be a great one. 

Forsyth is probably the future at center. They had him protected on the 53 all year for a reasson.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

McGlinchey's never played G in his college days, and he filled in at G once in an emergency basis in-game when all the guards went down in SF.

What he said was pretty telling:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/118746-49ers-mcglinchey-playing-right-guard-hopefully-never-situation/

Hopefully never again....lol.    The footwork, positioning, etc. - doesn't mean everyone can make the transition.   Some guys have that ability, but others don't.   McGlinchy seems to fall into the latter category.     I don't think we can look to that a realistic option.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1