2024 Off Season Thread

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

McGlinchey's never played G in his college days, and he filled in at G once in an emergency basis in-game when all the guards went down in SF.

What he said was pretty telling:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/118746-49ers-mcglinchey-playing-right-guard-hopefully-never-situation/

Hopefully never again....lol.    The footwork, positioning, etc. - doesn't mean everyone can make the transition.   Some guys have that ability, but others don't.   McGlinchy seems to fall into the latter category.     I don't think we can look to that a realistic option.

OK. Well, the coaches have their work cut out for them, then. This offensive line is shaky. 

16 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Either way you have a rookie or an unknown at RT with a rookie QB, has the smell of an impending disaster 

This makes no sense. Why would we move guys of position unnecessarily? I would be willing to bet there's also a belief that Russ created some of the sacks himself and not because of poor protection. That doesn't mean i think McGlinchey is good or anything, but I think there has to at least be an acknowledgement that he's not solely responsible.

Anyway, a big no to moving Meinerz from me. He played great this year. Keep him where he's at. Enough shuffling the line.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

This makes no sense. Why would we move guys of position unnecessarily? I would be willing to bet there's also a belief that Russ created some of the sacks himself and not because of poor protection. That doesn't mean i think McGlinchey is good or anything, but I think there has to at least be an acknowledgement that he's not solely responsible.

Anyway, a big no to moving Meinerz from me. He played great this year. Keep him where he's at. Enough shuffling the line.

Totally agree moving Meinerz makes zero sense, he was just graded out by PFF as one of the best G's in the NFL this year. However, still doesn't alter the prospects if we are looking at Penix in the draft, he will always need a RT-pass-protector, which we don't truly have, at least not in McGlinchey. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We could have a AFCW next year that has teams coached by Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Bill Belichick and Jim Harbaugh. 

That would be pretty crazy but I put the odds at nearly 0. We just went through the "will Jim come to the NFL" last year and just signed a new contract in Michigan as a result of it. I doubt he will actually leave. I wouldn't be surprised if Bill took a year off but you never know...I don't think the Chargers would be his first choice though

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

That would be pretty crazy but I put the odds at nearly 0. We just went through the "will Jim come to the NFL" last year and just signed a new contract in Michigan as a result of it. I doubt he will actually leave. I wouldn't be surprised if Bill took a year off but you never know...I don't think the Chargers would be his first choice though

BB won't take a year off - he wouldn't know what to do with himself with no one to order around.

8 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

BB won't take a year off - he wouldn't know what to do with himself with no one to order around.

He’s after Shulas win record too I would assume so I don’t seem him wasting any time, not getting any younger

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

He’s after Shulas win record too I would assume so I don’t seem him wasting any time, not getting any younger

Ah true. Forgot about the Shula record. Then again if that's the case, he's not going to waste his time going to the Raiders or Chargers either

14 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

My thoughts are falcons - weak division 

But they have a well-regarded GM in Terry Fontenot, I'm assuming BB is going to want full control wherever he goes. 

Looks like Washington is honing in on hiring Adam Peters to the EVP of Football Ops/GM, so BB wouldn't be GM. However, Peters did work in NE from 2003-2008, came here with Mac to be a scout in 2009 but was retained by Elway until 2017 when Kyle lured him to SF to be part the FO with Lynch. 

Carolina will give anyone complete control. I wouldn't work for Dave Tepper but he will give BB full control. 

The Chargers don't have a GM and they have a franchise QB. I'm still betting BB is a good bet to land there, him or Harbaugh, both of whom would want full control. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Tea leaves suggest Harbaugh to LAC and Belichick to ATL or WAS

WAS seems like a no go on BB - new GM Adam Peters is an excellent hire, we should remember well from his days in DEN way back when.    But all reports that while the owner Josh Harris was intrigued by BB and yes, Peters started as a scout with NE - Peters isn't interested, and Harris is letting Peters run the show.   Which is the way it should be (Cough *David Tepper & wife presiding over Bryce Young pick instead of Stroud, when apparently both GM/coach were on Stroud <ouch>* Cough).    A young GM like Peters is far more likely to go with a younger name, that they can rebuild the franchise together with.  

Anything's possible, but the fact the source on BB-WAS was Mike Tannebaum, makes it even more suspect.   He's not even plugged in, and he gets these calls wrong a lot (because he's not plugged in).   One of the all-time worst GM's in his NYJ/MIA tenure, and one of the least connected reporters around.   

ATL makes a lot of sense as that team is ready to compete now (yes they need a QB upgrade, but Arthur Smith's spectacular wasting of high pick talent on O, combined with supreme arrogance during his stay without any results to back it up, would make BB seems like a 10x upgrade), in a weak NFCS.   And owner Arthur Blank's age would likely have him want a win-now HC that can compete with the ATL roster (top half D, top 6 pass D, top 10 OL, nice young & cheap skill position talent).   Unless ATL lands a Ben Johnson type O Guru, BB-ATL has a lot of steam - books have ATL as a small favorite now.

Edited by Broncofan

21 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I know people like Winston how about Mason Rudolph? I thought he was decent today.

A hard, hard, hard pass.   Dude is beyond limited.    His arm talent is so meh.   He has very limited read ability, and he doesn't extend plays well on his own. 

PIT had a super easy draw down the stretch (SEA, CIN, BAL sitting all their guys).    BUF's secondary was wiped out with injuries, and they have trouble stopping the run.  That's the only reason PIT had some success vs. BUF today.    Even then they didn't start scoring until there was a fluke blocked FG that gave PIT a short field of 30+ yards and BUF was up 21-0 & 24-7 with the the game in hand. 

Mason Rudolph is beyond bad.    It's just that Mitch Trubisky is THAT bad - like Tommy Devito & he have no business actually playing NFL snaps.  

Put it this way - it would be a competition between Siemien, Keenum and Rudolph who sucks worse.    

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1