2024 Off Season Thread

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I was just going to come in and post about the stuff Cecil has been saying but you guys beat me to it. 

There are two schools of thought - one, get your QB secured for 5 years on a cap-friendly rookie contract and build from there, or, two, build out your team, OL and DL especially as Josh said, then add the QB and open your contention window. 

The downside to option 1 is if your team is so decrepit and lacks in so many areas it can “ruin” the rookie QB, from both his developmental curve and from a PR perspective. 

I’d much prefer option 2 but the Walmarts are going to want buzz and Sean isn’t a 32 year old hot-shot coordinator in his first job a la Zac Taylor, he wants to win now. They didn’t hire Sean to oversee a rebuilding project and Sean didn’t take the job to undertake a long rebuild.

That brings us to how the hell do we trade up? And it takes two tango. Is Washington, with Josh Harris and the NFC East market and a young HC going to trade out of second? How do you sell that to that fanbase after they suffered under Dan Synder for 20 years.  Are the Bears trading out of 1? Doubt it. The Pats? And how do we get from 12 to 1/2/3? And I don’t want anything to do with the LSU QB. The only high value piece we have to move is PS2. It’ll take 12+ PS2 + how many future 1sts to get there? 

Drake Maye would be my choice but the only way to get him is to get to 1 and I don’t think we can talk the Bears into that when their fan base (and I have a ton of family in Chicagoland) is desperate for Caleb Williams. 

I say do a fire sale - move every vet (sans PS2) you can, trade Russ, Bolles, Simmons, Sutton, Jeudy, etc., for picks, even mid round picks, trade back from 12, and fill out with some young cheap players and hope you strike gold with a few. 

I’d rather have 10 picks this year and 7+ next year than mortgage the future. 

I agree.  And you never know how those QBs will pan out.  Trevor Lawrence was not only supposed to be the second coming of Peyton Manning but he was supposed to be better.  I was a huge fan of Trevor and still am, but he isn't great. He is a bit above average and makes some silly mistakes that I think he should have corrected by now, but he can still be top 10. 

But I think you can still draft JJ or Bo Nix in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and you might get the same production out of those guys as you would Maye or even Caleb Williams, who I think is a head case.  

If JJ or Bo don't pan out, you wasted one draft pick, and you have the remaining draft capital to build out the other areas we need help with.  

I'd say draft a QB every year until you get your guy.

To be clear, a package to get 1.2 from 1.12 would probably start with 1.12, 2025 1st and yes, probably Patrick Surtain II.   3 1sts from where we are probably isn't enough to entice a team.  And the 2 1sts and PS2 may not be enough, too.

I will say if there's a QB to take, IMO it's Maye.   The CHI signings of OC (a guy who's worked and presently working with Caleb WIlliams) is telegraphing that 1.1 pick IMO.   I"m sold on Maye.   But if you want 1.2 from where we are, well, that's probably the *starting* point.   So yeah, I get why ppl aren't that crazy about it.   Just better have a realistic perspective of what 1.2 would cost. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

https://www.fox8live.com/2024/01/30/report-broncos-hiring-former-saints-offensive-coordinator-pete-carmichael-reunited-with-sean-payton/

he’s a terrible play caller. I like this hire as a behind the scenes guy and QB teacher. 

Yeah both  Lombardi & Carmichael should never get jobs as OC.   It can’t be stressed how much both sucked as play callers / guys in charge of the O.   Carr wasn’t great in NO but Carmichael personnel decisions and play calling was legit bottom 5 in 2022 & 2023.    As bad as Matt Nagy / Nathaniel Hackett / Matt Canada.  As long as Payton is in charge and calling plays though they’re both neutered.   So it’s not that big of a deal for us right now.   

The bigger issue is when Payton leaves none of these guys should be retained.   That’s the mistake NO made.   Hopefully it’s a long time away but that would be key.   None of the O guys who are part of Payton’s old guard are any good on their own.   When Payton goes they should go.  

The only O assistant under Payton who’s shown creativity / success that might be his own is Ronald Curry (plus the OL guy we discussed last year who stayed in college with LA TECH IIRC).     That’s a hire I’d be enthusiastic about.   The Payton retread O guys it’s ok as long as Payton is still in charge. 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah both  Lombardi & Carmichael should never get jobs as OC.   It can’t be stressed how much both sucked as play callers / guys in charge of the O.   Carr wasn’t great in NO but Carmichael personnel decisions and play calling was legit bottom 5 in 2022 & 2023.    As bad as Matt Nagy / Nathaniel Hackett / Matt Canada.  As long as Payton is in charge and calling plays though they’re both neutered.   So it’s not that big of a deal for us right now.   

The bigger issue is when Payton leaves none of these guys should be retained.   That’s the mistake NO made.   Hopefully it’s a long time away but that would be key.   None of the O guys who are part of Payton’s old guard are any good on their own.   When Payton goes they should go.  

The only O assistant under Payton who’s shown creativity / success that might be his own is Ronald Curry (plus the OL guy we discussed last year who stayed in college with LA TECH IIRC).     That’s a hire I’d be enthusiastic about.   The Payton retread O guys it’s ok as long as Payton is still in charge. 

I'm still trying to understand what about the Saints offense post-Brees is worth emulating.

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

just got a notification on my phone Broncos plan to swing big at qb in the draft.

It’s just an aggregator reposting Lammey conjecture.   Doesn’t mean it can’t happen but that’s why you need to check the source.   There are like 200 social media posts and they’re all citing Lammey. 

• Like 2

B4 ppl reference Tony Pauline speculating on a trade up - he posted that after a podcast interview with Lammey.    

Again it doesn’t mean it can’t happen but this illustrates life with social media nowadays - it’s the single take repackaged 100x different ways.   

On the other hand we know Allbright isn’t plugged in anymore so interesting that he took a stand lol.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

B4 ppl reference Tony Pauline speculating on a trade up - he posted that after a podcast interview with Lammey.    

Again it doesn’t mean it can’t happen but this illustrates life with social media nowadays - it’s the single take repackaged 100x different ways.   

On the other hand we know Allbright isn’t plugged in anymore so interesting that he took a stand lol.  

MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2

How it feels deciphering all the smokescreens and misdirection during the NFL offseason 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2024 at 5:44 PM, Broncofan said:

To be clear, a package to get 1.2 from 1.12 would probably start with 1.12, 2025 1st and yes, probably Patrick Surtain II.   3 1sts from where we are probably isn't enough to entice a team.  And the 2 1sts and PS2 may not be enough, too.

I will say if there's a QB to take, IMO it's Maye.   The CHI signings of OC (a guy who's worked and presently working with Caleb WIlliams) is telegraphing that 1.1 pick IMO.   I"m sold on Maye.   But if you want 1.2 from where we are, well, that's probably the *starting* point.   So yeah, I get why ppl aren't that crazy about it.   Just better have a realistic perspective of what 1.2 would cost. 

Surtain is more valuable as a piece to secure the long-term QBOTF than he is as a corner.  Not saying we SHOULD make that move… but if the brass believes Maye/Daniel is THAT guy, we absolutely should.  Champ Bailey post-Plummer, pre-Manning is a cautionary tale. 

3 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Surtain is more valuable as a piece to secure the long-term QBOTF than he is as a corner.  Not saying we SHOULD make that move… but if the brass believes Maye/Daniel is THAT guy, we absolutely should.  Champ Bailey post-Plummer, pre-Manning is a cautionary tale. 

That’s a fair argument.   But again - it may not be enough.    One of the top 2 teams has to be interested in taking that.  But that’s the starting point for talks.    

On 1/30/2024 at 2:27 PM, Broncofan said:

It’s just an aggregator reposting Lammey conjecture.   Doesn’t mean it can’t happen but that’s why you need to check the source.   There are like 200 social media posts and they’re all citing Lammey. 

Chopped Liver (Denver Broncos Mile High View and Beyond the Analytics on You Tube) doesn't have high praise for Lammey. He calls him a liar, and says that the Broncos are running a huge propaganda machine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Chopped Liver (Denver Broncos Mile High View and Beyond the Analytics on You Tube) doesn't have high praise for Lammey. He calls him a liar, and says that the Broncos are running a huge propaganda machine. 

I don’t see why an org worker telegraph a move that can be beaten / one-upped.    So yeah I side on the lying season angle.   

But I also think we should be realistic on what a trade up scenario to the top would cost.   Some of the scenarios put forth are wild fantasies with so many teams on the lookout for QB. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I don’t see why an org worker telegraph a move that can be beaten / one-upped.    So yeah I side on the lying season angle.   

But I also think we should be realistic on what a trade up scenario to the top would cost.   Some of the scenarios put forth are wild fantasies with so many teams on the lookout for QB. 

To this point, it would be a completely stupid strategy to leak that we are trying to move up. It automatically puts other teams on the offense in terms of trying to one up our potential offer which just increases the price of us moving up in the first place. It would also screw any hope we have of trading Russell as we lose the little leverage we have while we hold onto him. I tend to belief the other reports we've heard that the Broncos don't know where any of this is coming from, which implies we have a different strategy in mind.