2024 Off Season Thread

On 2/19/2024 at 11:41 AM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I agree with this. I’ve never hidden my disdain for jeudys unwillingness to fight (for the ball, on the block, ect) but his value as a potential with a timing QB in our system is much higher than Any return he would fetch us.

Peyton Manning would have absolutely murdered defenses with him. 

28 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Peyton Manning would have absolutely murdered defenses with him. 

Or Dan Fouts or Drew Brees. When I was reading all the criticism of him earlier this year I went back several games and watched him exclusively from the snap. If anything, he's better at creating almost instant separation than any other NFL WR. 

I get the drawbacks and as @broncos_fan _from _uk mentioned, hate that he doesn't fight for balls, etc but we knew that when we drafted him. We drafted a guy that can't be single covered effectively and he's that. 

We've got a potentially devastating duo in he and Sutton and I'd like to see it implemented in Seans system.

Maybe add a #1 at TE?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Yall seem to forget Jeudy has stone hands. I don't doubt he would get targeted more by a more anticipatory thrower, but expect him to drop a crapload of em.

So, I'm not sure how the stat guys define a drop but I think he was only charged with three last year, two in one terrible game against the Chargers.

20 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Or Dan Fouts or Drew Brees. When I was reading all the criticism of him earlier this year I went back several games and watched him exclusively from the snap. If anything, he's better at creating almost instant separation than any other NFL WR. 

I get the drawbacks and as @broncos_fan _from _uk mentioned, hate that he doesn't fight for balls, etc but we knew that when we drafted him. We drafted a guy that can't be single covered effectively and he's that. 

We've got a potentially devastating duo in he and Sutton and I'd like to see it implemented in Seans system.

Maybe add a #1 at TE?

I saw a chart last year plotting all the top receivers and their average yards of separation against man coverage. Jeudy was so far ahead of everyone else that you had to actually scroll the chart sideways to finally get to him. It’s the only reason I haven’t given up on the dude, because I know with the correct qb he would be nightmare material for opposing defenses. 

Agreed on the TE position. We had zero credible receiving threat from that position last year and defenses took advantage of that to stack the box against our running game. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1234567 said:

I saw a chart last year plotting all the top receivers and their average yards of separation against man coverage. Jeudy was so far ahead of everyone else that you had to actually scroll the chart sideways to finally get to him. It’s the only reason I haven’t given up on the dude, because I know with the correct qb he would be nightmare material for opposing defenses. 

Agreed on the TE position. We had zero credible receiving threat from that position last year and defenses took advantage of that to stack the box against our running game. 

Did we have zero credible threat or a QB with an inability to hit the middle of the field? Towards the end of the season the TE (and WR) would be wide open on crossing routes but Russ couldn’t make the throw. Hell towards the very end of the season we stopped calling many TE middle of the field routes at all electing to keep them in because they were just a wasted player out there otherwise as the opposing D wasn’t even paying them any mind (other than what appeared to be a secondary responsibility for the spy)

21 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Did we have zero credible threat or a QB with an inability to hit the middle of the field? Towards the end of the season the TE (and WR) would be wide open on crossing routes but Russ couldn’t make the throw. Hell towards the very end of the season we stopped calling many TE middle of the field routes at all electing to keep them in because they were just a wasted player out there otherwise as the opposing D wasn’t even paying them any mind (other than what appeared to be a secondary responsibility for the spy)

Honestly, the answer is probably both. No credible threat AND the QBs inability in that space. 

Re: TE it’s not Trautman.   He’s so stiff and has no wiggle.    Krull might be worth a second look but he’s a pure move TE IIRC.    IMO Krull is literally the only guy I would keep.   And in an ideal world he’s your 3rd - 4th TE.  

But given Payton’s affinity for NO alumni I’m worried Trautman sticks.   We can definitely use an upgrade.   It’s unfortunate Dulcich soft tissue injury history makes him completely untrustworthy.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Fair point, and to be honest it's probably a bit of both. I suspect some of those tight ends were open because Russ can't hit over the middle. So defenses stopped paying attention to them vs them actually beating the coverage. But I have to agree, Russ not finding the middle was a huge problem this year. That section of the field wasn't even in the playbook by season's end. 

On 2/20/2024 at 10:28 PM, AKRNA said:

So, I'm not sure how the stat guys define a drop but I think he was only charged with three last year, two in one terrible game against the Chargers.

I've posted a highlight reel earlier. He was easily over 10. Not sure why they don't count ones where he's hit directly in the chest and doesn't catch it or one's where he's marginally covered and it bounces off him because he's "pressured"

I would love to take Bowers, but realistically it's not going to happen. I think a guy like Ben Sinnott in the 3rd/4th would be a fantastic get for this team. Not a field stretcher, but he is a guy that can do some damage on short/intermediate routes, particularly in the red zone, and he can block.

Feels like a guy @AKRNA would love.

Well, the news about the much higher than expected salary cap is tremendous news for us. Gives us a little more wiggle room, might allow us to keep someone like Bolles or Sutton, or at least not have to feel immense pressure to lose everyone.

Will be interesting to see if this means we consider eating the full Russ cap hit this year or not.

• Like 5

On the flip side I am curious if cap increase makes a trade for Russ more likely. Convince a team that wants him that we are willing to keep him and carry his cap going forward and if they want him they will have to trade and pick up a portion of the contract. Most likely just wishful thinking but trying to stay positive 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I would love to take Bowers, but realistically it's not going to happen. I think a guy like Ben Sinnott in the 3rd/4th would be a fantastic get for this team. Not a field stretcher, but he is a guy that can do some damage on short/intermediate routes, particularly in the red zone, and he can block.

Feels like a guy @AKRNA would love.

Thanks @broncos67, you know I love researching the names you guys point out. You're right, he looks pretty good to me.

Here's a bio I found:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Ben-Sinnott-TE-KansasState

He'd be an asset in both the running and passing game.