Vrabel Gone

-Hope-

I’ll say this, if this was truly an AAS decision with little input from Ran, putting him up alone on the podium to face reporters while she sits down for a three minute interview with a team employee is a total  jerk move that made everyone look bad.

43 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Never satisfied. 
Even if they said, we want to pass the ball more and be more up tempo..yada yada yada. I would take it at face value.

Didn't Vrabel say we were wasn't going to run Derrick into 8-9 boxes when he was hired? Robinson said we want Tough, Smart....yada yada.  Good to great.... all that. 

Nashville media got their feelings all hurt because he didn't lay out the plan or vision. 
Be about action...

49 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

The bizarre thing about all of this is, from strictly and on-field perspective, San Fran is exactly the team we want to be. Like SF is who we were on track to more or less being if JRob didn't frick everything up.

I'd be very curious as to what this vision is. I am not as angry that we didn't get an answer on that from AAS/Ran yesterday as the nashville media is all up in arms about. But what could it be? A faster, more athletic team?? That'd be CRAZY!!

And this is why I keep coming back to this. I was never truly comfortable with Vrabel having significant say in the roster makeup this offseason. At the end of the day, I feel Vrabel’s MO for his team is always going to be big, tough, smashmouth players. He may add a few wrinkles here or there but that’ll always be his default style. And that’s fine to a degree. When you have an offensive mastermind like Kyle Shanahan, it can be a beautiful thing. The margin of error playing that way is severely limited though. It’s what caused our demise in the playoffs. It’s one of the reasons we haven’t scored over 30 points in two years. It’s one of reasons we play in so many close games, even when we have complete control of said game. It’s why Shanahan’s teams have a history of having trouble coming from behind when down early. And let’s not ignore the wear and tear and injuries playing that “tougher than you”, smashmouth style causes.

We’re in a division with CJ Stroud, Trevor Lawrence, and Shane Steichen coaching Anthony Richardson. We’re in a conference with Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar, Josh Allen, the Dolphins offense, Herbert, and whatever’s left of Aaron Rodgers. It’s the perfect time (now more than ever) to change with the times or get left behind.

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 615finest said:

So Mike left on his own.. Amy gave him options and he declined. I wonder what the options were

if vrabel truly wasn’t willing to settle the concerns about the patriots with ownership that’s insane and we absolutely had to move on. the guy was under contract and couldn’t commit to being here??? come the **** on

20 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The biggest shame is the complete and total waste of time the last 12 months have been.

I get AAS wanting to give him a chance to work with Ran hoping it worked out but man, we should’ve just ripped the bandaid and begun the full rebuild last year.

5 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I get AAS wanting to give him a chance to work with Ran hoping it worked out but man, we should’ve just ripped the bandaid and begun the full rebuild last year.

There was still hope then. 
Really there was still hope when Robinson was fired.  

Amy wanted to see the organization move in a different direction period, I feel. 
7-3, close loss to Cincy started that freefall. 

Vrabel likely sold her that he could fix it, and why would she not believe him. One year removed from Coach of the year #1 seed. I think it would have been more foolish to fire him after that situation. 

it's funny to hear titans reporters get soooo up in arms about how AAS/Ran's interview/presser went yesterday

and I don't think a single one of them questioned Vrabel about his NE visit/induction nor about the subsequent rumors

(edit - someone plz correct me if I'm wrong)

Edited by deeluxx3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

it's funny to hear titans reporters get soooo up in arms about how AAS/Ran's interview/presser went yesterday

and I don't think a single one of them questioned Vrabel about his NE visit/induction nor about the subsequent rumors

(edit - someone plz correct me if I'm wrong)

i can't pretend i pay attention to any other gaggle of local beat reporters, so maybe this is just the norm, but i cannot emphasize enough how incredibly unimpressed i am by the group covering the titans. the constant whining about how fans should care that a coach or team executive's isn't willing to give them content fodder is just remarkable.

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i can't pretend i pay attention to any other gaggle of local beat reporters, so maybe this is just the norm, but i cannot emphasize enough how incredibly unimpressed i am by the group covering the titans. the constant whining about how fans should care that a coach or team executive's isn't willing to give them content fodder is just remarkable.

The New England beat writers being more in the know about the disconnection between Vrabel and AAS than our local beat writers is honestly embarrassing. All season when they reported it they brushed it off as “that’s just New England people talking”. Then when it actually happens, they act stunned and surprised. Truly hilarious.

32 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

22 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

The New England beat writers being more in the know about the disconnection between Vrabel and AAS than our local beat writers is honestly embarrassing. All season when they reported it they brushed it off as “that’s just New England people talking”. Then when it actually happens, they act stunned and surprised. Truly hilarious.

I said this the other day, but in terms of just straight up insider/investigative sports journalism, I think it's a bit a sign of the times. That doesn't absolve anyone, but people aren't getting paid to be sneaking thru the back door trying to get word from what's going on inside from a source.

News outlets are broke and laying off vets left and right. Look at The Athletic, firing a ton of vets and replacing them w/ recent college grads. I mean no disrespect to anyone at all, but IIRC Ben Arthur was the Tennessean writer semi-recently...first job out of college basically. Awesome opp for Ben, but he has no relationships, experience, etc. Hell, half of the journalists for the team are guys like Buck Reising and Easton Freeze, who work for internet-based news outlets that a bunch of recent college grads put together when twitter/podcasts starting taking off. 

All ESPN has Turron writing for us is game recaps and player puff pieces. Same w/ AP and Theresa Walker. Any sort of "insider" news for the NFL comes from the Schefters, Raps, etc. 

Joe Rexrode seems to split his time between UT and the Titans, some games we don't even get recaps from The Athletic.

Among the vet writers/journalists, ie Davenport, Rexrode, Walker... PK is the only one w/ real experience that doesn't answer to a boss. But he dismisses everything as nonsense and spends his days getting in Twitter fights. A HUGE STORY was staring him in the face re: NE, and unless I'm mistaken, it was blown off.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I said this the other day, but in terms of just straight up insider/investigative sports journalism, I think it's a bit a sign of the times. That doesn't absolve anyone, but people aren't getting paid to be sneaking thru the back door trying to get word from what's going on inside from a source.

News outlets are broke and laying off vets left and right. Look at The Athletic, firing a ton of vets and replacing them w/ recent college grads. I mean no disrespect to anyone at all, but IIRC Ben Arthur was the Tennessean writer semi-recently...first job out of college basically. Awesome opp for Ben, but he has no relationships, experience, etc. Hell, half of the journalists for the team are guys like Buck Reising and Easton Freeze, who work for internet-based news outlets that a bunch of recent college grads put together when twitter/podcasts starting taking off. 

All ESPN has Turron writing for us is game recaps and player puff pieces. Same w/ AP and Theresa Walker. Any sort of "insider" news for the NFL comes from the Schefters, Raps, etc. 

Joe Rexrode seems to split his time between UT and the Titans, some games we don't even get recaps from The Athletic.

Among the vet writers/journalists, ie Davenport, Rexrode, Walker... PK is the only one w/ real experience that doesn't answer to a boss. But he dismisses everything as nonsense and spends his days getting in Twitter fights. A HUGE STORY was staring him in the face re: NE, and unless I'm mistaken, it was blown off.

yeah, that definitely makes sense. i interact with (non-sports) journalists a fair amount as part of my day job and it's ROUGH out there. and like...i don't say this lightly, i am not the type of armchair QB guy to do this with other people's professions, but man......i do have some professional writing and multimedia skills in my line of work and am pretty confident i could do what the bucks and eastons of the world do quite easily, because that's all it is! there doesn't appear to be any sort of relationship building, cultivation of sources, actual investigation....they just show up at the press conferences and pump out takes, mostly. i get that this is all a product of the erosion of journalism as a profession by these big media companies, but man is it a bummer.

35 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Yeah. A lot of the people now are people that just made themselves into media personalities. 

Some are just fans that got a large following and turned that into a bigger job. 

Like some of those guys on twitter that broke down film. They just were dedicated to it and then got on. 

The Jim Wyatt's of the world are gone.