The Playoffs, and now the Super Bowl!

vike daddy

Aidan Hutchinson: "You won’t find tears in Detroit. If you want excuses, you won’t hear them coming from Ford Field. As hard as today’s loss was, it is not a definition of the Detroit Lions culture. It’s a testament to how far we have come and how far we can go. It is the city’s perseverance of hard working people is what makes this state great. A city born in steel, diesel, and blood will not let a moment like this hold them back. In a city like this, in a culture like this, you learn that failure is just an opportunity to improve. A moment that Michigan men don’t shy away from. You take a look at those college boys down the road, it took them a couple trips to hell & disappointment, all to bring glory back to Michigan. Greatness is a journey - not a light switch, and it may take a few more days in the dark to see the light, but the Lions will get there. Together, we will Restore The Roar."

There are no compelling stories in this Super Bowl matchup for my thinking. I don't care for either team, coach or organization. Both teams have enough trophies in their cases.

So, I am rooting for a really, really hot day in Las Vegas, and the stadium air conditioning cuts out right after the national anthem.  Every celebrity attending, including Taylor Swift, leave the game under medical advice.  The teams become so weary, they refuse to return to the field for the second half.  The game is called a tie with a 0 - 0 score.  CBS runs Newhart reruns for the 2nd half.  That's what I am rooting for!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think I'll be rooting for the great state of Kans...Missouri. 😆

You have no idea how many people actually think the Chiefs play in KCK (yes, there are 2 Kansas Cities...about 3 miles apart).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

it's going to be hard to pick the winner of the Super Bowl, because both teams have soft weaknesses at times.

last night, SF was installed as a 2.5 point favorite by the bookies, this morning it's dropped to 1.5.

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i have NEVER liked playing the what if game... however, what if Cousins hadn't busted his Achilles and the team progressed to 12 or 13 wins on the season.

how far would we have gotten in the playoffs?

I've already seen a bad former Packer backup claim that, after watching the 49ers-Lions game, the Packers would be in the SB.  🙄

However, to play the game you questioned, I think they would have finished with the #2 seed, got a win in the WC and lost in the divisional round.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think they would have finished with the #2 seed, got a win in the WC and lost in the divisional round.

who's the team they would have lost to?

i mean, Philly turned out to be a nothing team, and we beat SF once during the year.

Edited by vike daddy

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

who's the team they would have lost to?

i mean, Philly turned out to be a nothing team, and we beat SF once during the year.

Fully theoretical, but I think the Vikings getting the #2 seed would have pushed the Cowboys to the #3 seed, Lions may have moved to #6 (with Eagles staying at 5 since the Lions could have lost to the Vikings twice) and the Rams dropping to #7.

Vikings beat the Rams in the WC and then lose to either the Cowboys or Bucs (as the Bucs would still beat the Eagles), because that seems to be the tendency of our team in the playoffs.  They certainly could and should beat the Cowboys or Bucs at home, but they probably wouldn't.   

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Vikings beat the Rams in the WC and then lose to either the Cowboys or Bucs (as the Bucs would still beat the Eagles), because that seems to be the tendency of our team in the playoffs.  They certainly could and should beat the Cowboys or Bucs at home, but they probably wouldn't.   

well, it could have been a different kind of year.

i think maybe we would have been meeting the Niners in the Championship Game, but i guess it would be an away game and tougher to win. i agree we could have been the #2 seed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i think maybe we would have been meeting the Niners in the Championship Game, but i guess it would be an away game and tougher to win. i agree we could have been the #2 seed.

Certainly could have, but I always prefer to under expect, so I can truly be surprised when they do.  🤣

• Like 1