The Playoffs, and now the Super Bowl!

vike daddy

The mass shooting at the Kansas City Super Bowl parade and rally claimed the life of one person, local DJ Lisa Lopez-Galvan. A GoFundMe page has been established for her family, with the goal of raising $75,000.

Via Emily Zemler of RollingStone.com, Taylor Swift has donated $100,000 to the cause.

“Sending my deepest sympathies and condolences in the wake of your devastating loss,” Swift wrote with a pair of $50,000 donations that were confirmed by Variety.com.

The effort has raised more than $200,000 as of this posting for the family of Lisa Lopez-Galvan. Her son, Marc Lopez-Galvan, was also injured in the mass shooting. He has been released from the hospital.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/taylor-swift-donates-100-000-to-family-of-lisa-lopez-galvan

there are those who say, "thoughts and prayers," and there are those who actually try to help people in grief.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

The mass shooting at the Kansas City Super Bowl parade and rally claimed the life of one person, local DJ Lisa Lopez-Galvan. A GoFundMe page has been established for her family, with the goal of raising $75,000.

Via Emily Zemler of RollingStone.com, Taylor Swift has donated $100,000 to the cause.

“Sending my deepest sympathies and condolences in the wake of your devastating loss,” Swift wrote with a pair of $50,000 donations that were confirmed by Variety.com.

The effort has raised more than $200,000 as of this posting for the family of Lisa Lopez-Galvan. Her son, Marc Lopez-Galvan, was also injured in the mass shooting. He has been released from the hospital.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/taylor-swift-donates-100-000-to-family-of-lisa-lopez-galvan

there are those who say, "thoughts and prayers," and there are those who actually try to help people in grief.

To put a twist on it, if thoughts and prayers were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas? 

• Like 2

Overtime in the Super Bowl was exciting for football fans, and profitable for CBS.

With the game lasting almost a full extra quarter because of overtime, CBS aired 10 more commercials that advertisers paid an estimated $60 million for, according to Anthony Crupi of Sportico.com.

Between regulation time and overtime, CBS brought in nearly $700 million in commercial sales for Super Bowl LVIII.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/super-bowl-overtime-earned-cbs-an-estimated-60-million-from-more-commercials

what does a network have to pay the NFL to televise the SB? as in, what did CBS net on the deal?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Overtime in the Super Bowl was exciting for football fans, and profitable for CBS.

With the game lasting almost a full extra quarter because of overtime, CBS aired 10 more commercials that advertisers paid an estimated $60 million for, according to Anthony Crupi of Sportico.com.

Between regulation time and overtime, CBS brought in nearly $700 million in commercial sales for Super Bowl LVIII.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/super-bowl-overtime-earned-cbs-an-estimated-60-million-from-more-commercials

what does a network have to pay the NFL to televise the SB? as in, what did CBS net on the deal?

It's truly amazing how much the NFL doesn't have to pay for much of anything...everybody pays them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

To put a twist on it, if thoughts and prayers were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas? 

Anymore I don't have an issue with people sending their thoughts and prayers. 

I know the phrase gets shredded purely for political reasons (I won't get into that here) but anymore that's all that some can afford to offer.

...and I'll leave it at that. 

43 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I know the phrase gets shredded purely for political reasons (I won't get into that here)

That is the unfortunate part...because of that sphere, its meaning has been diminished into just hollow words. 

• Like 2

Travis Kelce is helping the surviving victims of the shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl victory parade. The NFL star’s rep confirmed today that Kelce’s Eighty-Seven Running organization gave two $50,000 donations to a GoFundMe raising money to provide financial support to the Reyes family.

Kelce founded Eighty-Seven & Running in 2015 to help “underserved youth strive to become productive citizens by mentoring and motivating them to explore and develop their abilities while learning critical life skills,” the website notes.

The Reyes family shared an update on their daughters, who are 8 and 10 years old, in a press release obtained by NBC News on Feb. 16. The family said that the two girls sustained leg injuries and will be in casts for several months after undergoing surgery to treat their gunshot wounds.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/travis-kelce-donates-100000-2-kids-shot-chiefs-super-bowl-parade-rcna139329

20 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Swift and Kelce: doing more than anyone else will. Yet they're still going to be hated by the knuckle-draggers.

Who are the knuckle-draggers you are referring to?  I know a lot of people don't like Kelce, but I was under the impression that Swift was widely popular (though I can't say that I am a fan).  Am I, in your opinion, a knuckle-dragger?

It strikes me as distasteful to generalize and disparage large groups of people.  Just because someone doesn't like a particular person, or in some other way is different than you, you shouldn't conclude they are less than yourself.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Who are the knuckle-draggers you are referring to?  I know a lot of people don't like Kelce, but I was under the impression that Swift was widely popular (though I can't say that I am a fan).  Am I, in your opinion, a knuckle-dragger?

It strikes me as distasteful to generalize and disparage large groups of people.  Just because someone doesn't like a particular person, or in some other way is different than you, you shouldn't conclude they are less than yourself.

Really, it depends why you’re making a point to dislike someone you’ve never met.

• Like 1