The Playoffs, and now the Super Bowl!

vike daddy

Not everyone knows the NFL’s playoff overtime rules. And that includes the player who scored the game-ending touchdown in overtime of Super Bowl LVIII.

Chiefs wide receiver Mecole Hardman, who caught the game-winning pass from Patrick Mahomes in overtime, didn’t realize that the Chiefs had won the game. Mahomes said on NFL Network after the game that he had to tell Hardman in the end zone that they’d just won.

Mahomes: “Can I tell a quick funny story? I threw a touchdown to this dude to end the game, and he had no idea. I said, ‘Dude, we just won the Super Bowl.’ He had no idea. He didn’t even celebrate at the beginning.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/mecole-hardman-didnt-know-overtime-rule-patrick-mahomes-had-to-tell-him-he-won-the-game

After the Donovan McNabb debacle, I'm never surprised about players that don't understand the OT rules, especially now that they've been changed so frequently in recent history.  But, the way the OT rules should be is what we saw last night.  That's always the way it should have been.  I've never understood how it's been like pulling teeth to get to this point...now fix the kickoffs and it'll be fine. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Chiefs are already underdogs for next season as well...

FWIW, the Vikings, at +5500, have the lowest odds of anyone in the NFC North to win the SB (Bears are +3000) and have lower odds than the Jets, Chargers, Jags, Falcons and Colts. 

56 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Not everyone knows the NFL’s playoff overtime rules. And that includes the player who scored the game-ending touchdown in overtime of Super Bowl LVIII.

Chiefs wide receiver Mecole Hardman, who caught the game-winning pass from Patrick Mahomes in overtime, didn’t realize that the Chiefs had won the game. Mahomes said on NFL Network after the game that he had to tell Hardman in the end zone that they’d just won.

Mahomes: “Can I tell a quick funny story? I threw a touchdown to this dude to end the game, and he had no idea. I said, ‘Dude, we just won the Super Bowl.’ He had no idea. He didn’t even celebrate at the beginning.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/mecole-hardman-didnt-know-overtime-rule-patrick-mahomes-had-to-tell-him-he-won-the-game

I took that more as him being overwhelmed in the moment than him not knowing the rules

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Sorry, no...Chubbs Peterson.

chin-up-happy.gif

It was a veiled Happy Gilmore reference, as Weathers was originally a big part of the lead up to Gronk's 2nd kick attempt in a role similar to roles he played as Apollo Creed and Chubbs Peterson. 

Oh geez. I didn't realize how popular Carl Weathers was haha 

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Should SF have kicked off in OT, so they knew if they needed a FG or TD?

With the defense just getting off the field, I’m not critical of them receiving the ball in OT. But I don’t think they should have kicked the field goal. 

• Like 2

Just now, SemperFeist said:

With the defense just getting off the field, I’m not critical of them receiving the ball in OT. But I don’t think they should have kicked the field goal. 

Agree.  It's a tough call on whether they should have kicked the FG or not, but if you have great faith in your defense, I can see why they just took it.  Ultimately, I think it's just nit-picking to criticize Shanahan...they played well enough to win, it just didn't happen.  Of course, if Moody makes the missed XP, it might have all been moot, because KC would have had to go for it on 4th down earlier instead of being able to kick the FG to tie it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Agree.  It's a tough call on whether they should have kicked the FG or not, but if you have great faith in your defense, I can see why they just took it.  Ultimately, I think it's just nit-picking to criticize Shanahan...they played well enough to win, it just didn't happen.  Of course, if Moody makes the missed XP, it might have all been moot, because KC would have had to go for it on 4th down earlier instead of being able to kick the FG to tie it.

I'm not nitpicking here at all....they played very well. I'm just asking a strategy question 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm not nitpicking here at all....they played very well. I'm just asking a strategy question 

I wasn't necessarily saying you were nitpicking...but the major storyline all over online with people questioning the strategy of taking the ball first is nitpicking.  It's literally a 50-50 proposition and the coach should be able to be given enough respect to know which option would be better for his team...especially one who has been around as long as Shanahan has. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I wasn't necessarily saying you were nitpicking...but the major storyline all over online with people questioning the strategy of taking the ball first is nitpicking.  It's literally a 50-50 proposition and the coach should be able to be given enough respect to know which option would be better for his team...especially one who has been around as long as Shanahan has. 

So if the Chiefs kicked a field goal, it would have gone to sudden death right? 

36 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Should SF have kicked off in OT, so they knew if they needed a FG or TD?

Yes.  With a guaranteed possession and...realizing you use all four downs to gain first downs and...knowing whether or not you will require a 2 point conversion...you want the opponent on offense first.