The Playoffs, and now the Super Bowl!

vike daddy

a thread to discuss the playoff games and the teams in them. if we have a separate thread for each week, that just pushes other threads off the page.

Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is in for a new experience on Saturday night.

Tagovailoa said at a Wednesday press conference that he thinks “a little lower than 20" degrees is the coldest weather he’s played in during his career and the forecast in Kansas City calls for temperatures below that and a wind chill that would make it feel like less than zero. Tagovailoa joked that he’s not planning on hitting Dan Marino up for any Isotoner gloves and said he believes “the whole thing is a mindset” that he will see what it feels like on the field before seeing what they might have to do differently.

Tagovailoa: “I think it’s just a feel of how everything is, what the ball feels like, what throwing feels like, what holding the ball feels like, if there’s wind, if there’s not wind, you have to take all those things into consideration. But we’ll go there, we’ll test it out and we’ll see what we have to do as far as adjusting or not.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tua-tagovailoa-on-playing-in-cold-test-it-out-see-what-we-have-to-adjust

Edited by vike daddy

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

a thread to discuss the playoff games and the teams in them. if we have a separate thread for each week, that just pushes other threads off the page.

Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is in for a new experience on Saturday night.

Tagovailoa said at a Wednesday press conference that he thinks “a little lower than 20" degrees is the coldest weather he’s played in during his career and the forecast in Kansas City calls for temperatures below that and a wind chill that would make it feel like less than zero. Tagovailoa joked that he’s not planning on hitting Dan Marino up for any Isotoner gloves and said he believes “the whole thing is a mindset” that he will see what it feels like on the field before seeing what they might have to do differently.

Tagovailoa: “I think it’s just a feel of how everything is, what the ball feels like, what throwing feels like, what holding the ball feels like, if there’s wind, if there’s not wind, you have to take all those things into consideration. But we’ll go there, we’ll test it out and we’ll see what we have to do as far as adjusting or not.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tua-tagovailoa-on-playing-in-cold-test-it-out-see-what-we-have-to-adjust

Bud used to say cold was just a state of mind.  That's the only indication I have that he was insane. 😆

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

-5 doesn’t feel different than -40. -40 just kills you faster. 

That's what I tell people all the time...once you hit -5, anything lower than that you really can't tell...hell, it was right before the pandemic when my wife and I were in AK (right in @ArcticNorseman's neighborhood, we went up to the Arctic Circle and it was about -45 up there at the time, but really could tell much difference from when it was about 5 above zero earlier in the day.   I still can't get over the indigenous girl we had seen a few hours earlier at the last truck stop before the circle who was wearing shorts and a t-shirt when it was zero. 🤣 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I feel like Miami and KC is going to be very one sided. 

Well, it doesn't help Miami that they're terrible on the road in the first place...and then in the weather it'll be here on Saturday night? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, it doesn't help Miami that they're terrible on the road in the first place...and then in the weather it'll be here on Saturday night? 

Bad on the road.
Have not done well against good teams.
They’re missing their top 3 edge rushers.
The weather

• Like 2

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

KC crowd fired up big time
how many Miami fans will travel and attend?

I can't imagine too many, but if they're bold enough to take on the weather, the ticket prices have dropped like a rock...I was talking to my auto mechanic yesterday and he got tickets for $55...and I've heard they're as low as $45.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vike daddy said:

makes your transmission fluid thicker too.

That’s correct. In fact, this the reason schools get canceled in my area. The buses can’t safely function in those subzero conditions. We rarely, if ever close the schools due to snow. 

• Like 2

The forecast for Saturday night in Kansas City started bad, and it has gotten worse.

The kickoff temperature and the potential wind chill keeps dropping and dropping for Dolphins-Chiefs. Currently, the high for Saturday (per Weather.com) is 8 degrees, with a low of -9. The kickoff at temperature, according to the iPhone weather app, is below zero.

The wind chill will be in the neighborhood of 25 below.

It will be one of the coldest games in league history. As noted by Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post, it will be the coldest game ever for the Dolphins.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/forecast-for-dolphins-chiefs-keeps-getting-worse