The Playoffs, and now the Super Bowl!

vike daddy

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

well, it could have been a different kind of year.

i think maybe we would have been meeting the Niners in the Championship Game, but i guess it would be an away game and tougher to win. i agree we could have been the #2 seed.

With how the defense was playing by seasons end, I am not super confident they’d keep anyone under 30. Would the offense have been good enough to score 30+ every week in the playoffs? Hard to say. If Cousins is healthy they make it in over GB but I don’t think they necessarily win the division over Detroit. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

With how the defense was playing by seasons end, I am not super confident they’d keep anyone under 30. Would the offense have been good enough to score 30+ every week in the playoffs? Hard to say. If Cousins is healthy they make it in over GB but I don’t think they necessarily win the division over Detroit. 

With 4 games to go, they still could have won the division.  If they had just split with Detroit (with Cousins), it's likely they would have. 

• Like 1

Agreed.  It's all a What-If game that we'll never know the answer to, because it didn't happen.  Just like for the 49ers, what if Trey Lance had never gotten injured and so Purdy never got the opportunity in the first place a year ago.  It's a rather pointless exercise, ultimately. 

• Like 1

What's driving me nuts today is people questioning Dan Campbell and blaming his decisions to go on 4th down as the major reason why the Lions lost.  No. genius, the players not executing the plays is what lost them the game.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

What's driving me nuts today is people questioning Dan Campbell and blaming his decisions to go on 4th down as the major reason why the Lions lost.  No. genius, the players not executing the plays is what lost them the game.   

The biggest questionable decision from Campbell was running it on 3rd down and forcing himself to use a timeout at the end. That was stupid. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The biggest questionable decision from Campbell was running it on 3rd down and forcing himself to use a timeout at the end. That was stupid. 

Yeah, that didn't make much sense, as he probably outsmarted himself, thinking that they'd catch them off-guard.

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

Dropped fourth down pass, in the hands. Dropped interception that became a huge catch. Dropped third down in the hands. Three consecutive drives that if they make the play that is right there, they likely win. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, swede700 said:

Maybe but couldn’t you pretty much always just default to saying this and be right? Why werent the plays executed correctly? Why was Campbell intentionally forgoing opportunities at points to close the game out in the second half? I get that being aggressive is what got him here and that is how the team is coached to play. But i think criticism is fair if it backfires. 

On 4th and 3, or shorter, the Lions converted on 75% of their attempts during the regular season. And they were 2/2 in the post season. 

Their kicker has a career 50% rate from the distance the Lions would have had to attempt from. 

If you were the coach, where would you have placed your trust? Campbell made the right decision, Johnson called a good play, Goff threw a good pass, Reynolds dropped it. That’s not an outcome that should be put on Campbell’s shoulders. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

On 4th and 3, or shorter, the Lions converted on 75% of their attempts during the regular season. And they were 2/2 in the post season. 

Their kicker has a career 50% rate from the distance the Lions would have had to attempt from. 

If you were the coach, where would you have placed your trust? Campbell made the right decision, Johnson called a good play, Goff threw a good pass, Reynolds dropped it. That’s not an outcome that should be put on Campbell’s shoulders. 

Badgley is career 37-48 between 40-50 yards. They passed on field goals of 45 and 47.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The percentage at 48+ is going to be worse than his percentage at 48 considering that number would take into account every kick over 48 but none shorter. Like I said, he's over 75% between 40-50. I would assume the likelihood of him making it was over 50%, probably over 60.