The Patriots have hired Jerod Mayo as their next head coach

Steelersfan43

I don't dislike the hiring of Mayo, however, I feel the reason for the change, which is likely to be a small change, is because of differing opinions about the QB position between Kraft and Belichick. Kraft wanted Bledsoe over Brady and only worked out because Bledsoe got hurt. Kraft picked Mac Jones and it didn't workout at all. Now the question is who is Kraft wanting now? 

9 minutes ago, jofos said:

I don't dislike the hiring of Mayo, however, I feel the reason for the change, which is likely to be a small change, is because of differing opinions about the QB position between Kraft and Belichick. Kraft wanted Bledsoe over Brady and only worked out because Bledsoe got hurt. Kraft picked Mac Jones and it didn't workout at all. Now the question is who is Kraft wanting now? 

Bill chose Bledsoe over Brady. He outright said he thought Brady was better but gave Bledsoe starting duties over experience. 

46 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Bill chose Bledsoe over Brady. He outright said he thought Brady was better but gave Bledsoe starting duties over experience. 

What kinda revisionist history is this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lancerman said:

Kraft alluded to this in his press conference, but it was effectively untenable to take away powers from Bill and keep him on and the team lacked a system of checks and balances to protect Bill from himself. 

I think you are spot on that this was a big part of Kraft's thinking - though I've been clear I don't really agree.

I think Kraft and Belichick's personal relationship was deeply damaged too.  If that weren't the case I suspect they would've worked something out.

And they were clearly very fond of Mayo to put next coach up clause in his contract, there was likely concern he would leave for a head coaching gig if they didn't do this now.

Sort of like when Conan replaced Jay Leno

But honestly look how that turned out for NBC

53 minutes ago, lancerman said:

This is a stretch tbh.

No he did not start the 4th string 6th round pick QB over the #1 overall pick face of the franchise.

But once Brady showed what he could do in game action he was always the guy and Bill went against a lot of fans and Boston sports media to stick with Brady and trade Bledsoe.  He even gave Brady back the job after he got hurt and Bledsoe won the AFCCG.

I don't have any issues with the man himself, but man do I loathe mayonnaise.  Like, I can't even be in the same room with it.  I don't know if I'll be able to watch a game when they're saying the word Mayo 20 times.  

I know....I have issues.  

Its funny to see so many of the same Pats fans who said we should trade Brady and keep Jimmy G

Now ****ting on Belichick for "wanting to trade Brady" 

And all the people who say he was a dictator who had full roster control 

Saying he "wanted to trade Brady" and Kraft overruled him

But somehow he was only the one involved in 2019-2020 when they didn't give Brady the contract he wanted 

Easy to sling arrows at the GOAT from the cheap seats, Bill you deserve better fans.  Most of us know what you did for us.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Damn do I feel old. I remember looking at him as a prospect coming into the 2008 draft out of Tennessee.

I love former linebacker Al Wilson. Played for the Broncos mostly. Also went to Tennessee, and retired two years before Mayo was even drafted. :|

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

Nope he was told to stay with Bledsoe to sell season tickets. He told members of the staff that he didn't expect to make it through the season because he felt Bledsoe would throw to many interceptions. 

Bill Belichick Wanted Tom Brady To Start Even Before Drew Bledsoe's Injury? - NESN.com

To Bill Belichick, Tom Brady beat out Drew Bledsoe for QB job in summer 2001 - The Athletic

Edited by jofos
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

It sounds like Kraft thought very highly of Mayo for years and that he wanted this to happen no matter what. Reports were that Mayo had a contract that mentioned a succession and Bill's contract was designed to end in 2024. It sounds like this WAS the plan and they just moved it a year up because of the result. 

So I get the whole "let's leave no stone unturned", but I think if you have a gut feeling and a plan, you don't let the flavors of the yearly coaching cycle disrupt it. There's nothing a handful of interviews should do that should overwrite several years of day to day evaluation and feeling confidant.

Yep. Mayo was already essentially pen'd in as the next HC last offseason. His interview/evaluation for the job was the two years preceding that. If the Patriots didn't do what they did, he's probably coaching for another team right now.

Who knows how this will turn out but I cant help but feel like Kraft is still hanging on to the dynasty years any way he can and I personally think we just need to realize it’s over and a full reset is needed.

I get it, Mayo is likable and respected by the players, but the dude has ZERO experience as a coordinator let alone running a staff as a HC. 

We replaced Belichick, a defensive minded HC that didn’t want to admit that the NFL, like all other pro sports, is all about the offense now, and replaced him with….a former LB turned LB coach that has only ever played under Belichick, and be on a coaching staff under Belichick…..

What could go wrong?!?!?

Edited by Pats#1
  • Like 3