The Patriots have hired Jerod Mayo as their next head coach

Steelersfan43

1 minute ago, kramxel said:

Everyone knows the NFL is all about connections, and who a HC can bring in.... are Mayo's that different from Bill's?

I mean, in this next generation of coaches - younger men who have been around the game either for a few generations (Shanahan) or as former player (Ryans, Campbell) I'd argue that connections are changing as well. 

I honestly think that's why we're seeing a bunch of the old guard walk away - the game is passing THEM by nowadays.

• Like 3

Jerod Mayo was brilliant as a player and given all the interest teams have had in him, seems that's transferred to his coaching ability as well.

I was saying in the Titans forum when trading Vrabel seemed to be on the table that I wouldn't mind trading Vrabel to New England to get Belichick if he can bring Mayo as HC in waiting with him. Think Mayo has a shot at being a great one.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I mean, in this next generation of coaches - younger men who have been around the game either for a few generations (Shanahan) or as former player (Ryans, Campbell) I'd argue that connections are changing as well. 

I honestly think that's why we're seeing a bunch of the old guard walk away - the game is passing THEM by nowadays.

I would agree that there are a lot of new branches popping up in the last 10 years, comparing to the past, but I still don't' see a lot of crossover relations... and I still see people getting preferential treatment inside those circles.

Edited by kramxel
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Agree with this, a lot of the top coaches in the NFL are younger guys and I think a big part of that is because they have different new philosophies that are more up to date and relatable specifically with younger players. The game is evolving and taking more college elements into gameplans than ever before so having a HC/OC/DC that can adapt some of those philosophies and blur the line between the college game is huge.

A lot of the old dogs just dont have that connection and/or still run their teams with ideas that worked in 2005.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Wtf is the point of firing him just to replace him with one of his assistants? And first hand you’ve seen every single one of his assistants fail. And now you want one? Don’t even want to see what else is out there? Okay 

You couldn't hire an indepdent GM with Belichick there where there wouldn't be a huge power struggle and conflict. You also open up the ability to get new blood on the offense instead of retreading McDaniels/Patricia/BOB. Those were two significant problems that you solve moving on from Bill and avoid with Mayo. Mayo's biggest benefit is that you keep the good with the defense, have someone the players like with some continuity, and you have the ability to address the problem areas in a more independent way. 

Kraft alluded to this in his press conference, but it was effectively untenable to take away powers from Bill and keep him on and the team lacked a system of checks and balances to protect Bill from himself. 

2 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Wow they were contractually obligated to hire him as Head Coach by the sounds of it. Completely messed up this process with Vrabel sitting right there for the taking. Patriots are gonna be a laughing stock for a long time and im here for it.

Vrabel is not much better. People are ignoring that Vrabel had a whopping 2 more wins than the Patriots in a worse division. He's has as many playoff wins since Brady left as Bill did. Likewise, you are hiring a defensively minded HC who oversaw a worse defense than Mayo did. 

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Because Bill still wants to be a GM

This. They fired Bill because of his failure as a GM and what he allowed to happen on the offensive side of the ball. They couldn't keep Bill and have an autonomous GM and we saw how badly Bill treated obvious offensive problems for years. This allows them to keep what was good and attempt to replace what was bad while not having a big internal struggle. Mayo isn't going to be the GM and is doubtful to get full reigns over the offense. Which allows them to bring in talent who can go all in on what they are hired to do without Bill Belichick undercutting them.