Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Green Bay Packers

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I have gripes with Wilks but man this defense is nails in the 4th quarter. Been like this for pretty much most of the season. Love ended the game going 6-12 for 30 yards and two INTs. Big time defensive performance down the stretch… minus the big Jones run lol. 

Yeah they give up a lot of yardage, but in important situations, they come up clutch with a turnover or an important play, like Wards PBU early on.

Also shouldn't forget that Bo Melton was wide open because Gipson fell down and Ambry Thomas dragged their offense over the field twice. Given how hot that offense was, eventually the defense was fine? Thomas is a huge problem though.

I am curious how the outside zone runs, our bread and butter was used so effective against us. I know he comes from Kyle’s scheme, but that’s the only thing “really” scaring me moving forward especially if it’s Det because they have a better oline and Gibbs is shifty as hell. 

I noticed towards the end of the game we would bring Lenoir or our safety near the line right next to our DE to try and cut it off, but excuse my ignorance what’s the suppose to be the best way? I know NE (and others) use to run 5 dline, should we start doing implementing on base run downs? My only concern moving forward minus cleaning up penalties, Ambry lol 

It feels like 11 of our 12 regular season wins, we dominated or just controlled the opponent almost all game long. The only win we didn't dominate was Week 2 against the Rams where we still took over the game in the 2nd half anyway 

Last night had a similar profile to our losses vs the Browns & Vikings - shutting down our offense in the rain (Browns), moving the ball at will on our defense (Vikings). But unlike those games, the offense & defense finally woke up and made clutch plays. 

Its nice to know that we didn't play a perfect game vs a red hot opponent and still won. 

Hopefully next week in clear weather we can clean up our mistakes & dominate whoever we play 

Lineup wise - please replace Ryan with Brown. And please get Mitchell/Mason a combined 5 carries next week. If Deebo isn't playing, get Bell a couple touches next week too. Feliciano can keep starting over Burford. Ambry Thomas needs to play better, although not sure we'd replace him with Womack or Luter 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Yeah they give up a lot of yardage, but in important situations, they come up clutch with a turnover or an important play, like Wards PBU early on.

Also shouldn't forget that Bo Melton was wide open because Gipson fell down and Ambry Thomas dragged their offense over the field twice. Given how hot that offense was, eventually the defense was fine? Thomas is a huge problem though.

Honestly, Thomas panicked twice but he hasn't had many of those penalties this season. It happens, he played well this year. Thomas will play better next week. 

Ward slipped on a big Doubs play, Gibson slipped on the TD in the 3rd Q and Greenlaw slipped on the first 3rd down conversion. The footing definitely cost the defense this game on numerous occasions. 

I still have no idea why we just don't have Moody kick it out of the end zone every single time. What are we trying to prove? This is a terrible kick coverage unit. Almost cost us the game. 

• Like 6

For all the questions about Purdy's arm strength...he completed that nice out route to Conley at the end of the game. And he obviously had that deep TD pass to Kittle on a dime in the 1st quarter

I remember he also had a 3rd down out route completion to Aiyuk in the 3rd quarter of the Eagles game

I think he had enough zip with the ball last night. His issues seem to be gripping in the rain and that also affected his accuracy with sailing some throws. Arm strength wise he seems fine 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, John232 said:

Lmao lombardi getting cooked so hard for the Montana comparison 

That's Lombardi being Lombardi but the folks on the other side are making themselves look like fools as well. While it is true Purdy has not been able to throw the ball in the rain and missed a lot of throws yesterday, he did what he had to do in the clutch. Many great QBs like Brady and Montana had mediocre games until the last drive where they stepped up. They would get praise for that. Purdy will need to do it many more times before he gets the clutch label but one big criticism for him was that he's a frontrunner and can't play from behind. Well, he was behind in the 4th quarter after playing a bad game and still found a way on the last drive to come through. He's only 24 years old but it seems like the young age argument just goes for other QBs and not him lol. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

For all the questions about Purdy's arm strength...he completed that nice out route to Conley at the end of the game. And he obviously had that deep TD pass to Kittle on a dime in the 1st quarter

I remember he also had a 3rd down out route completion to Aiyuk in the 3rd quarter of the Eagles game

I think he had enough zip with the ball last night. His issues seem to be gripping in the rain and that also affected his accuracy with sailing some throws. Arm strength wise he seems fine 

Purdy just needs to accept he needs to wear a glove in the rain and get used to it. He just struggles to grip it and can't control the ball. Wearing a glove on the left hand is something he needs to do regardless to help dry the ball some. 

• Like 6

Twitter just has me dying. All the film/anakytics/pundits sans a couple a respectable guys, like Ted Ngyuen, are still besides themselves. 

if the 49ers go all the way, it’s going to have some people absolutely lose their mind 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, Thomas panicked twice but he hasn't had many of those penalties this season. It happens, he played well this year. Thomas will play better next week. 

Ward slipped on a big Doubs play, Gibson slipped on the TD in the 3rd Q and Greenlaw slipped on the first 3rd down conversion. The footing definitely cost the defense this game on numerous occasions. 

I still have no idea why we just don't have Moody kick it out of the end zone every single time. What are we trying to prove? This is a terrible kick coverage unit. Almost cost us the game. 

The thing with Thomas is those penalties absolutely cost us. Made that game that much more difficult because both those penalties extended drives that led to points for GB. Granted he has been solid for us a majority of the year but it's just hard to rely on a guy who has displayed mental lapses from time to time, in big situations. I think it's why they brought back Verrett & worked out Hayward during the bye. But at this point you just have to roll with Thomas and try not to put him in too many of those situations.

The weather & the condition of the field definitely played a factor for us. Don't think it comes down to the last drive in ideal conditions. But that's a part of the game and both teams were playing in the same conditions so you can't harp on it too much.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1