Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I mean, we haven't even had that. We allowed the most explosive plays in the NFL last year. I would be elated if we had a steady reliable defender. Curl is the closest thing to that in our secondary and while I see both of your points, I think you are selling Curl short for what he brings, but I fully agree that we shouldn't break the bank for him.

It's the same thing we went through with Scherff. Was he good? Sure. Was he worth what the Jags paid him? Absolutely not. He will likely be a cap casualty this offseason. 

Isn't preventing explosive plays a Safeties primary responsibility? 

• Like 1

I honestly think that Curl was best in his box safety role, which is a role that Darrick Forrest can play and exceed in for much cheaper. I think either a true cover Free Safety in the draft or even an Eddie Jackson or Justin Simmons can come in for cheaper and help us have a more formidable safety combo that compliment each other. I'm not mad that we didn't break the bank on Curl. We need to use this money on the deep linebacker free agent class and boosting our offensive line. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Isn't preventing explosive plays a Safeties primary responsibility? 

If the safety were playing deep halfs, sure. I don't know the specific numbers but I would be willing to bet that Curl was towards the bottom of allowed explosive plays for our secondary. Also, not that they are labeled, but Curl was closer to a SS than a FS type (playing closer to the line/covering TEs and RBs).

36 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If the safety were playing deep halfs, sure. I don't know the specific numbers but I would be willing to bet that Curl was towards the bottom of allowed explosive plays for our secondary. Also, not that they are labeled, but Curl was closer to a SS than a FS type (playing closer to the line/covering TEs and RBs).

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at is that Curl is not the kind of safety that we need. I think Forrest game compares well with Curl. I think it'd be helpful for this team to get a true free safety to pair with Forrest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at is that Curl is not the kind of safety that we need. I think Forrest game compares well with Curl. I think it'd be helpful for this team to get a true free safety to pair with Forrest. 

Definitely agree thar Forrest fits that role. I also think Quan Martin pairs well with TEs/RBs and covering slot receivers. A true FS, like Simmons, would do wonders for our secondary. 

Adam Schefter 

Safeties recently added to the free agent market:
🏈Justin Simmons
🏈Jordan Poyer
🏈Jamal Adams
🏈Kevin Byard
🏈Quandre Diggs
🏈Rayshawn Jenkins
🏈Eddie Jackson

Justin Simmons would probably be the only one I would give a 1-2 deal with a club option. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

If I talked about paying a Safety from another team that just does his job in coverage but makes absolutely no splash plays whatsoever you would call me crazy. You're overvaluing him just because he's a late round player that we selected that played ok. 

^This TBH - but its hard to take you seriously when your signature is Chase Young....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

^This TBH - but its hard to take you seriously when your signature is Chase Young....

Lol well that's from years ago and the guy who made my sigs hasn't been around lately. 

It’s pretty difficult to talk about Kam Curl without also mentioning that I very strongly suspect that Quinn and Whitt intend to bring Jayron Kearse here from DAL. Which will probably save us some money and get us some familiarity with the scheme. But I believe it will make us worse in terms of actual ability.

I believe they will continue to deploy 3 safeties, so whether they kept Curl or brought in Kearse, they were always going to be trying to address that post safety position that Malik Hooker has been playing in DAL.

• Like 1

Adam Schefter 

4 years 76m. Nice guaranteed $$$

Jaylon Johnson is getting $60 million in the first three years of the deal, including $54 million guaranteed, per source. He can potentially hit the market again at age 28.

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Adam Schefter 

4 years 76m. Nice guaranteed $$$

Jaylon Johnson is getting $60 million in the first three years of the deal, including $54 million guaranteed, per source. He can potentially hit the market again at age 28.

Good deal for them and for him. My favorite CB off the market before the legal tampering period. 

Adam Schefter 

Rams are re-signing G Kevin Dotson to sign a three-year, $48 million deal that includes $32 million guaranteed, as @Schultz_Report also reported.

A very good OG is off the market

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

There is literally no one out there to sign lol. They have to make a run at Tyron Smith and Onwenu. We literally have nothing on the OL unless Stromberg and Daniels make humongous leaps and I don’t see that happening with OG Bobby Johnson coaching this group. 

• Like 2