Saints moving on from OC Pete Carmichael

RaidersAreOne

Long overdue. Carmichael was easily among the worst playcallers in the NFL the past couple years. Will be interesting to see who we bring in. There's been some rumblings of Gruden already meeting with the Saints. If we can shore up the OL a bit this offseason, our offense should be solid going into next season. Wouldn't be a bad job for someone to take. 

39 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Long overdue. Carmichael was easily among the worst playcallers in the NFL the past couple years. Will be interesting to see who we bring in. There's been some rumblings of Gruden already meeting with the Saints. If we can shore up the OL a bit this offseason, our offense should be solid going into next season. Wouldn't be a bad job for someone to take. 

Who cares about that. The real big deal is! Will Jamie’s be back in No? 

4 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Carr's still the QB and you're entering the "he's never great his first year in a new offense" portion of the experience.

I'd say Gruden comes aboard. Maybe not as OC, but bigger role overseeing the offense, but no way Allen is going to let that happen. Couldn't handle Gruden looming over things ready to pounce on his job. 

Most likely outcome. Run of the mill OC comfortable knowing he's tying himself to a dead coach. Carr continues to disappoint and Allen gets an early exit. 

Saints will 100% regret not blowing it up this offseason. Keeping Allen/Carr combo assures the Saints another middling year at best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Saints will 100% regret not blowing it up this offseason. Keeping Allen/Carr combo assures the Saints another middling year at best.

They literally cannot blow it up this season. Carr is fully guaranteed for this upcoming season. Can't get rid of him until after next season. You let the ship sink with Carr/Allen then clean house next year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Carr's still the QB and you're entering the "he's never great his first year in a new offense" portion of the experience.

I'd say Gruden comes aboard. Maybe not as OC, but bigger role overseeing the offense, but no way Allen is going to let that happen. Couldn't handle Gruden looming over things ready to pounce on his job. 

Most likely outcome. Run of the mill OC comfortable knowing he's tying himself to a dead coach. Carr continues to disappoint and Allen gets an early exit. 

Meh we won’t be Super Bowl favorites by any means, but will be competitive in a bad NFC next year if we get a solid OC and make some improvements on the OL. I know you just love to throw shots at Derek Carr, but he played pretty well for us down the stretch. He can be a good (not elite/great) QB for us.

• Like 1

Can’t emphasize enough how bad OC Carmichael was.   Can’t do much about Carr but choosing the right personnel (more Juwan Johnson at TE) and targets (Olave & Rasheed Shaheed as the focal parts of the pass O, Kendre Miller as the RB for 2024) would all auto-upgrade that O just by not being as bad as Carmichael was in these decisions.   And that’s before we get to the vanilla / predictable scheme and play calling.   

If the GM can upgrade that bottom 5 OL to be league average those personnel decisions alone and just average play calling would make a massive difference for 2024.   This is a much needed start.   

Edited by Broncofan

15 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Greg Olson has entered the chat.

Jokes aside, with who the Saints have as personnel, he might actually be their best bet along with an heir apparent brought in with him. He gets old pretty fast, but he got some of the best from Carr and TEs. Ties with Gruden and Allen probably help. 

Amongst Raiders fans he's sort of a meme, but he's actually pretty decent and makes for a logical choice for the current regime. 

I sort of look at his work with Carr, Waller, Renfrow, Ruggs/Agholor, and Moreau from a few years ago. Carr, Johnson, Moreau, Olave, Shaheed is definitely more talented overall as a group imo. 

I get some folks probably would want to go in the younger direction though. 

He produced some great offenses for the Rams in the mid to late 2000s. I remember when Steven Jackson had like 1500 rushing yards and 90 catches with like 800 yards receiving. Olson made Josh Freeman look good for a bit on the Bucs, too. Also was the OC when Blount led rookies in rushing and Mike Williams led rookies in receiving same year. His first season in Jacksonville was the one where Blake Bortles threw 35 TDs. And then he was part of that dramatic turnaround with Jared Goff as his QB coach. Then went back to the Raiders. 

He has a pretty solid track record of getting the most out of players. 

9 hours ago, JMG5 said:

They literally cannot blow it up this season. Carr is fully guaranteed for this upcoming season. Can't get rid of him until after next season. You let the ship sink with Carr/Allen then clean house next year. 

You're right. 52 mil I'm reading in dead cap to cut him. Brutal. But man, hate to see them wasting a season on these stiffs. 

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Meh we won’t be Super Bowl favorites by any means, but will be competitive in a bad NFC next year if we get a solid OC and make some improvements on the OL. I know you just love to throw shots at Derek Carr, but he played pretty well for us down the stretch. He can be a good (not elite/great) QB for us.

The Saints didn't pay 100 mil gtd for good.

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That sure is a lot of speculation. 

It's hilarious, this post is about the OC, Pete Carmichael, and you didn't even address 1 single thing about him. You just took the opportunity to continue your Carr bashing. 

Just say what you're thinking, already! You want Carr to fail at any cost, with any team, no matter what. 

Pete is a bum. His only success has been with an amazing team around him, including a HOF coach and QB combo, along with other great players, and he wasn't even elite then, just mediocre.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You seem to be mistaken by the the QB market. That’s exactly what the Saints did. Carr is right around the 10th highest paid QB this year/next year. Hardly an issue. They can easily opt out of his contract after next season if for some reason they needed to as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I mean I'd rather pay 100 mil gtd for good than 82 mil gtd for Daniel Jones...

That's just how QBs are getting paid right now.  Also I think paid Carr 100 mil gtd with it front loaded for expected consistent good play with the potential for some great flashes as he does have that ability.  If the OL wasn't bottom 5 they likely would've done better this year.

• Like 1