Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/boblabriola/status/1752044399041667168?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Sounds like ARII is saying he’s not gonna allow for KP Comp

Do you expect KP and the new OC to get off to :

1. a good start and continue to get better as the season goes on.

2. usual bad first halfs in games, barely winning games but defence saves games

3. KP gets hurt then replaced by Mason

4. KP to lose his job because of injury

5. KP to lose his job after (insert) how many games because of his play albeit no injury?

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I would expect that unless KP learns to read defenses and make his throws on time and on target, he should not be the starter.

but with him pencilled in as QB1, we can both agree that the QB2 is important if the coaches actually have the hook ready for KP if he doesn't read defences and or gets injured again .   

He has proved over 26 games what he is. MR2 proved over the last 4 what he is capable of.  Despite MR2 being better, they will value KP's RD1 contract and he will play it out as QB1 unless he is injured. We have to get used to this, thats the steeler way. 

Feeling like A.Smith and Munchak might be a real possibility
rather than a completely new, dynamic scheme. KP in a power running 
set up with a few more down field shots, rather than a new, dynamic attack.
Still hoping they at least interview Kubiak.

3 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Feeling like A.Smith and Munchak might be a real possibility
rather than a completely new, dynamic scheme. KP in a power running 
set up with a few more down field shots, rather than a new, dynamic attack.
Still hoping they at least interview Kubiak.

If they went with the Munchak/Smith route, I would make it a point to get a solid 3rd RB.

• Like 1

How can people support a potential hire of Arthur Smith and Cliff Kingsbury but be against a potential signing of Byron Leftwich? Below are Leftwich's production as OC.

2019: 28.6 ppg, 458 total points, 1521 rushing yards, 95.1 ypg, 4845 pass yards, 302 pass yards per game, 6366 total yards, 397.9 ypg

2020: 30.8 ppg, 492 total points, 1519 rushing yards, 94.9 ypg, 4626 pass yards, 289.1 pass yards per game, 6145 total yards, 384.1 ypg

2021: 30.1 ppg, 511 total points, 1672 rushing yards, 98.4 ypg, 5229 pass yards, 307.6 pass yards per game, 6901 total yards, 405.9 ypg

2022: 18.4 ppg, 313 total points, 1308 rushing yards, 76.9, 4586 pass yards, 269.8 pass yards per game, 5894 total yards, 346.7 ypg

Edited by armsteeld

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

I have climbed on the Kubiak wagon.  I think they at least want to interview him.

I have been on the Kubiak wagon. I still would like to hear about Frank Reich getting a shot to interview who did some good things as an OC. The Panthers experience seemed (from what I hear from the media) to be very dysfunctional due to  owner involvement.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

The team invested a #1 pick in him. He did not grasp some things, but the OL was horrible, there was no consistent rushing attack, or offensive drive sustainability. I think they want Mason to push him and they will probably(most logical for a veteran over rookie)  add a veteran QB.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/boblabriola/status/1752044399041667168?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Sounds like ARII is saying he’s not gonna allow for KP Comp

I didn't get that as much as I think he's saying that he still thinks that he is the #1 QB

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Do you expect KP and the new OC to get off to :

1. a good start and continue to get better as the season goes on.

Depends on who it is. We talk a lot about the football X's and O's, but can they establish a good working relationship and trust?  Success will breed confidence.

2. usual bad first halfs in games, barely winning games but defense saves games

Pressure is on for that to change. They have had that with the last two OC's. 

3. KP gets hurt then replaced by Mason

I expect a lot of improvements along the OL. New starters at Center and Tackle. They will also add/expand some depth. The defense getting clean shots and teeing off on Pickett  should decrease as well as an increase on leaning on Najee and Warren in the run game.

4. KP to lose his job because of injury

I wouldn't expect that next season. If Pickett loses his job it will be because he doesn't perform. Last year Pickett and Mitch struggled for various reasons, but the OL was a big part of it as well.

5. KP to lose his job after (insert) how many games because of his play albeit no injury?

I don't foresee that. Too much drama. The QB room will look to the the strength that many thought it was last year (yes even with Mitch). The Steelers had two QB's with game experience and Mitch even had play-off experience.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

but with him pencilled in as QB1, we can both agree that the QB2 is important if the coaches actually have the hook ready for KP if he doesn't read defenses and or gets injured again.

I don't foresee his play being an issue. If he doesn't perform, he won't be out there. The purpose of competition is so that you have someone who can come in and get going.  Kenny has taken a pounding.  It's not just sacks and rushes, but the hits.

He has proved over 26 games what he is.

That I disagree with. He was only in his second season and has played less than two full seasons. The positives that he made do not all get erased based on what happened. 

People have to give these kids time to develop. Everyone wants, no EXPECTS a CJ Stroud and that type of play from your young QB. That is not realistic. Some people take longer to develop than others. You also don't always get the perfect storms for success. 

I will go on record as saying that I think Pickett's a winner. He's a little older, he is mature, and he has now dealt with some adversity.  I expect to see him bounce back, dust himself off and compete. Am I saying he will be the next Patrick Mahomes, no. But he has some qualities that can develop to make him very "poor man's" Drew Brees like (despite being a little bigger and less accurate).

The Chargers gave up on Brees to get Phillip Rivers. I don't know if they made the right choice. Brees was said to be injury prone early on as well.

MR2 proved over the last 4 what he is capable of. 

It took Mason six years to get there. SIX!!!! The Steelers had a first round grade on him. He had sparks when he played well, but he was no where near as consistent as he was this season. He was one bad throw and a fumble from potentially upsetting the Bills as well. I love Mason. I am happy for him, but I love him as a back-up. He has not shown that he can do it for 17 games. He had staying healthy problems. He had consistency problems, and he was rarely comfortable letting the ball rip. I definitely want him to stay a Steeler and would feel comfortable with him taking over for a few games and doing what Mitch proved that he couldn't when given opportunities over the past two seasons consistently.

Despite MR2 being better, they will value KP's RD1 contract and he will play it out as QB1 unless he is injured.

I don't believe Mason Rudolph is BETTER  than Kenny Pickett. He has been in the system, he is older, and more of a traditional pocket passer, that doesn't make him the BETTER QB.  I could certainly be wrong and I hope he stays to compete.

Take a look at Jarrod Goff. He had a similar experience with the Rams and seemed to regress with the Lions early on. He was traded in favor of Matt Stafford. He's not Mahomes' but he is not a bad QB by any means. He had some struggles with the Lions. It was rumored that the Lions inquired into Mason Rudolph's availability based on Goff's passing struggles. Goff was drafted in 2016 and had ups and downs as well. But my point is that in his 8th season, he was some bad coaching decisions away from going to SB #2 on a second team.

We have to get used to this, that's the steeler way. 

By no means am I claiming that. The team has leveled off and they didn't get everything that they needed from some of their studs and players. They have to change the play-off losses thing. A big way to change that is to not turn the dang ball over and force more turnovers from your opponents in these play-off games. Start fast instead of putting yourself in holes.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

How can people support a potential hire of Arthur Smith and Cliff Kingsbury but be against a potential signing of Byron Leftwich? Below are Leftwich's production as OC.

2019: 28.6 ppg, 458 total points, 1521 rushing yards, 95.1 ypg, 4845 pass yards, 302 pass yards per game, 6366 total yards, 397.9 ypg

2020: 30.8 ppg, 492 total points, 1519 rushing yards, 94.9 ypg, 4626 pass yards, 289.1 pass yards per game, 6145 total yards, 384.1 ypg

2021: 30.1 ppg, 511 total points, 1672 rushing yards, 98.4 ypg, 5229 pass yards, 307.6 pass yards per game, 6901 total yards, 405.9 ypg

2022: 18.4 ppg, 313 total points, 1308 rushing yards, 76.9, 4586 pass yards, 269.8 pass yards per game, 5894 total yards, 346.7 ypg

From what I've read, the Steelers weren't 'considering' Byron.
No idea what the story is behind that.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Jimmy and Joe's, not X's and O's. 

Arians was also the "head" of the offense for 3 of those 4 years. 

Had one of the most static offenses in the league (very rarely motioned)

Had one of the most predictable offenses in the league (first and second down were run downs. HEAVY run downs). 

He isn't a modern NFL coordinator and the last years exposed major, major issues in the play calling. It's why he didn't have a job and doesn't have anything cooking in that department either. 

You can make whatever you would like of the other two, but Byron not being an option is a good thing. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Jimmy and Joe's, not X's and O's. 

Arians was also the "head" of the offense for 3 of those 4 years. 

Had one of the most static offenses in the league (very rarely motioned)

Had one of the most predictable offenses in the league (first and second down were run downs. HEAVY run downs). 

He isn't a modern NFL coordinator and the last years exposed major, major issues in the play calling. It's why he didn't have a job and doesn't have anything cooking in that department either. 

You can make whatever you would like of the other two, but Byron not being an option is a good thing. 

Makes absolutely no sense as none of the current coaches we brought in was a full time OC and play caller. All the guys being brought up are positional coaches so what are you talking about.

Yet people are getting moist for run heavy Arthur Smith. 

He had major flaws in his system yet finished top 10 or higher 3 of the 4 years he served as OC. There are plenty of talented coaches who aren't getting hired or offered an opportunity. 

"Modern"? So McVay and Shanahan are the only modern day systems in the NFL? Be. Know. Do.