Free Agency 2024

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’ve read a couple articles, probably quoting the same source, that say we want to keep Greenard, Rankins, Cashman, Singletary and Schultz. 

It all comes down to cost. Greenard wants to get paid. If there's a bidding war, we're out. Rankins we want like, but we're going to try to upgrade, especially with Chris Jones and Watkins both on the market. Same with Cashman, we can replace him with Al-Shaair if need be. Motor we like, but will also try to upgrade as well as potentially bringing him back. That's why we're out on Barkley. If he brought his price down, we'd be interested, but I also think the next wave (Swift, Jacobs, Pollard) will be a lit cheaper than expected. 

• Like 3

CHIEFS WOULD TRADE L'JARIUS SNEED FOR A SECOND
The Chiefs placed the franchise tag on CB L'Jarius Sneed intending to trade him if the two sides fail to reach a long-term deal. Talks have not appeared to be close, and Sneed’s agent has permission to seek a trade. 

The belief is that a second-round pick would get it done, which is the same compensation Kansas City received in 2019 when it franchise-tagged DE Dee Ford and then traded him to San Francisco.   per https://www.the33rdteam.com/14-top-takeaways-from-2024-nfl-combine/

IF there was a 5th coming back to Houston & IF Sneed was willing to do something like 4 years, $64M (12+14+17.5+20.5) with $20M SB / $34M guaranteed)... I might jump on that (TWSS)

Edited by jch1911
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

He's playing the market knowing he's really the only TE. We made him a very fair offer and knows it, but he also knows his only real threat is Bowers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Yes please!  I wonder what a potential deal would look like. 

Serious question here. Why would the Texans trade for Reddick with possibly a 2nd rd pick and have to pay him next year when they could resign Greenard and build around him with their 1st and 2nd rd picks? A Reddick and Greenard contract are about the same and both has close to the same production. Reddick being older. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, LORK88 said:

It all comes down to cost. Greenard wants to get paid. If there's a bidding war, we're out. Rankins we want like, but we're going to try to upgrade, especially with Chris Jones and Watkins both on the market. Same with Cashman, we can replace him with Al-Shaair if need be. Motor we like, but will also try to upgrade as well as potentially bringing him back. That's why we're out on Barkley. If he brought his price down, we'd be interested, but I also think the next wave (Swift, Jacobs, Pollard) will be a lit cheaper than expected. 

Bringing back Cashman and drafting Payton Wilson to go along with Harris would be really good stuff. Sign Wilkins in FA and draft the best Edge or CB in the 1st and lets roll. I've got Wilson as a top 20 player in this draft and if he falls to say 2-45, I'm looking to trade up and get him.

Edited by Kirby Drive

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Maybe it’s just me but I’m out on the trade market for players. I’d rather use our draft picks. 

Agreed - this just seems like an irrational trade for the Texans. Give up picks PLUS a new contract? Why?

36 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ya, not good asset allocation when you have to use draft capital and cap space for 1 player

Depends on the draft pick compensation.  Caserio can always trade back and recoup picks.  Plus the new LB coach thinks highly of him when he coached him at Arizona.  He is better than Greenard is too. Way more consistent and healthy. 

On 3/4/2024 at 10:03 AM, jch1911 said:

CHIEFS WOULD TRADE L'JARIUS SNEED FOR A SECOND
The Chiefs placed the franchise tag on CB L'Jarius Sneed intending to trade him if the two sides fail to reach a long-term deal. Talks have not appeared to be close, and Sneed’s agent has permission to seek a trade. 

The belief is that a second-round pick would get it done, which is the same compensation Kansas City received in 2019 when it franchise-tagged DE Dee Ford and then traded him to San Francisco.   per https://www.the33rdteam.com/14-top-takeaways-from-2024-nfl-combine/

IF there was a 5th coming back to Houston & IF Sneed was willing to do something like 4 years, $64M (12+14+17.5+20.5) with $20M SB / $34M guaranteed)... I might jump on that (TWSS)

I'd trade a 2nd and throw in a next year 4th just to make sure we got him. Sign me up!

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Agreed - this just seems like an irrational trade for the Texans. Give up picks PLUS a new contract? Why?

The money doesn't really matter because good players cost money no matter how you get them, that's not an extra cost of trading necessarily, and picks are lottery tickets. Sneed, and guys like that, are sure things. I'd trade a scratch off for a bona fide baller any day.