49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

29 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Watching the attitude and aggressiveness the Niners D plays with vs ours is night and day. Get a young coach in there that will light a fire under these guys *****.

This one hurts but we're gonna look back at this moment as what kickstarted a multiple super bowl era. The rebuild is over, we have 5 picks in the top 100. Go out and sign Henry or Barkley in free agency and lets win the ******* super bowl next year. 

Get all world linebackers.  They killed us today.  We rarely threw over the middle out of fear if them and when we did we had turnovers.  I'm drafting LB fairly high if I'm GB.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

Just now, Leader said:

I dont need or want blood on the streets.

Just get rid of him with time allowed to POSSIBLY bring in a top replacement.

GB is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too laissez-faire about getting stuff like this done. They take their time. They ponder. They lose out.

The offense is ready....or getting there.

FIX the defense......NOW.

Don’t forget that they also tend to cheap out on assistant coaches. I really hope they change their philosophy a bit there. They can certainly afford it, but they’re conservative in this respect. 

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

He doesnt make enough impact plays IMO.

Nice player....but you get a lot of "meh" with him.

Nice is an overstatement. He has no linebacker instincts whatsoever. There were atleast 4 runs this game where he just stood there and let the guard come and block him on the 2nd level. That CMC TD that sealed the game happened because Quay chose the wrong gap to fill.

Edited by StatKing

8 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I'm not here to defend Barry - perfectly fine if the team moves on from him; however, he was not the issue tonight.    The D did enough to win this game.   Unfortunately, Savage and Nixon both had opportunities for turnovers and didn't make the play - not sure how that's on Barry?  D-Line forced Purdy into a lot of rushed throws - they did their job.   Again - totally cool with fans wanting Barry's head - imo this isn't the game to criticize him for though.

What does Joe Barry do well? At his absolute BEST he plays conservative defenses and lets his players try and control the game. Defenses that we've invested more draft capital than 90% of the league if not 100, in order to get bottom 8 DVOA/EPA performance from. Name ONE single player that grew to elite levels under Barry? Saw what you want about Dom, Clay, Raji and Woodson became elite in his scheme. If anything he's taken our best player from 2020 (Alexander) and made him just an above average corner. He cannot design anything on his own (we saw that tonight, ******* horrendous schemed blitzes), he's leached his entire playbook from the other talented coordinators he's worked for and ONLY has a job because he's a friend of LaFleur's (no one would've hired him with his resume and no one will ever hire him once he's gone).

It got to the breaking point for McCarthy where it was "if you bring Dom back next year and he flops and hurts the team, you're gone with him, that time for LaFleur is right now. If he brings Barry back and next year we struggle on defense, Gute needs to step in and fire both and that's a shame because he's a good coach, but one with no proven accountability.

• Like 6

Man, Dallas sure made some of us revert back to the ol' stagnant days again.

While Love possibly being a chronic choker in do-or-die situations might be a trend(though stating its terminal already might be pushing it), we're very much unlikely to find that late-season burst from another QB.

Let's just focus on reshaping the D for now.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Get all world linebackers.  They killed us today.  We rarely threw over the middle out of fear if them and when we did we had turnovers.  I'm drafting LB fairly high if I'm GB.

No more first round ILB please.

Just now, MuFF said:

Let's be clear - people wanting Barry gone is like 1% from tonight and 99% from what we've seen with him almost every week for the past three years.

Yeah .. we just need better.  I think the D just wasn't good enough tonight, and the coaching has been an issue many times the past few years.  Strive to be better.  Keeping Barry isn't getting us any better.

2 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

This was the 2009 playoff game between GB and Arizona with half as much scoring. But same principle: good experience and a stepping stone to next year’s Super Bowl. 

To me it was like a really annoying version of the 2014 NFCG. If one thing (the two dropped picks, the missed field goal, Love's two picks, Love missing on third and one, the failed sneak) goes right, they win.

...instead they manage to bungle all those things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I'm not here to defend Barry - perfectly fine if the team moves on from him; however, he was not the issue tonight.    The D did enough to win this game.   Unfortunately, Savage and Nixon both had opportunities for turnovers and didn't make the play - not sure how that's on Barry?  D-Line forced Purdy into a lot of rushed throws - they did their job.   Again - totally cool with fans wanting Barry's head - imo this isn't the game to criticize him for though.

This is where I am at.  I hope MLF moves on from Barry, but I don't see many reasons to be hating on him tonight.  Tonight was on the players, not Barry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

I’m fine with that. He hasn’t been as bad as the torch and pitchfork brigade wants to believe and he has been all class in dealing with the team and media. I want someone new but they better get the right someone and no need to make any spectacle of it. 

Im all for making a change, but that's  how the Packers work.  

4 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Legitimately asking, what part of the defense played well tonight?  Christian McCaffrey averaged 5.8 YPA tonight, and his season average was 5.4 YPA.  Brock Purdy completed 58.9% of his passes with 0 INTs, and his season average was 69.4% and averaged 0.6 INT per game this season.  The 49ers were converting 62.5% of their 3rd downs, and their regular season average was 47.5%.  The defense didn't play well.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

What does Joe Barry do well? At his absolute BEST he plays conservative defenses and lets his players try and control the game. Defenses that we've invested more draft capital than 90% of the league if not 100, in order to get bottom 8 DVOA/EPA performance from. Name ONE single player that grew to elite levels under Barry? Saw what you want about Dom, Clay, Raji and Woodson became elite in his scheme. If anything he's taken our best player from 2020 (Alexander) and made him just an above average corner. He cannot design anything on his own (we saw that tonight, ******* horrendous schemed blitzes), he's leached his entire playbook from the other talented coordinators he's worked for and ONLY has a job because he's a friend of LaFleur's (no one would've hired him with his resume and no one will ever hire him once he's gone).

It got to the breaking point for McCarthy where it was "if you bring Dom back next year and he flops and hurts the time, you're gone with him, that time for LaFleur is right now, if he brings Barry back and next year we struggle on defense, Gute needs to step in and fire both.

Dom Capers was unfairly maligned. The roster got stale and he got old, but he (and Woodson) turned defense from a joke in GB to a formidable force for a nice little stretch