49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

4 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I think psychologically I like losing now instead of in the Super Bowl.  Guys will be hungrier all offseason. Super Bowl losers have a tendency to suck the next year.  

I agree.  It’s time to retool for a dynasty run

Jordan Love is early on in his career and his future looks very bright. If he could, I would call Tom Brady and ask to spend a day or two with him talking about "situational football" and how to apply that to the moment. Things get crazy in the 4th quarter in close games and Brady was one of the mentally toughest and smartest situationally aware players to ever play in the NFL. He just seemed to know when to take chances and when not to. He always talks about "knowing the situation". He was a winner in most of the biggest moments.  Love is generally a very good decision maker with tons of arm talent and if he could learn a few of the masters tips and when and how to apply them it would only add to his growth. 

10 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

You guys realize we still lose this game if Carlson makes that kick, right?  

Not necessarily.  If he makes it we are tied and we force the 9ers to score again.  After the missed FG we stopped them but we still had to score near the end of the game to tie it or win.

In this game it all came down to which team made the fewer mistakes.  Did our youth and inexperience finally come home to roost?  I'm guessing yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The offense just needs to draft some depth in the O-line, and an understudy for Jones. (Pugger is right. After Tom went out, Love wasn't able to be comfortable in the pocket again and the offense sputtered.) 

Defense needs a deeper overhaul. We need to be stronger up the middle. Clark and Slaton are good, but we need ILBs and safeties. And we need another edge, because JJ won't be back for a while.

There's no critical position needs, so we can sit back and let the draft come to us, or what's more likely, Gute will target players he thinks have that special "it", and will move around the draft board to pick them up where their value lies. I expect a rb somewhere around the 5th round. A T in round 2, a G/C in round 4, An edge in round 1, Safeties and ILBs everywhere else. And a kicker somewhere. 

Super Bowl next year!

Was anything said on what happened to Tom in the game?  Did he get his bell rung?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I think psychologically I like losing now instead of in the Super Bowl.  Guys will be hungrier all offseason. Super Bowl losers have a tendency to suck the next year.  

Could tell the confidence of the team grew each and every week this last month. They boat raced the 2 seed and then went toe to toe with the 1 seed who have been in SB or bust mode all year long. They showed to themselves they belong and now have a game like this to stew over all offseason and to come out ready to make 2024 their time

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

Insane we traded him for a third round pick.

You are looking at this with 20/20 hindsight.  As St. Vince said, nobody thought we'd end up in the divisional round, let alone WC.  Gute probably thought getting another decent pick to continue to build the roster for the future was a prudent move.  Who knew then the future was now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Losing next week would have been worse. We probably would have been favored.

Losing the SB would have felt more expected.

Still think this 2023 team could beat anyone playing their best, but consistency is hard to achieve. Baltimore is on whole different level than SF even is.

• Like 1

Oh well, was a fun but predictable ride in the post season with Dallas falling on their face and GB choking yet again to a NFCW team.

No moral victories in playoffs, you never know what the future holds and nothing is guaranteed. Fluke/Cinderella runs are a thing in sports, just like the Diamondbacks this year, and arguably the Packers in 2010.

Always left with a sour taste that a glaring weakness all season is left to fester and never addressed, Packers MO management at this point.

Hope today's games are as entertaining.

Edited by Laces Out

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Is Seattle ascending or declining? Jacksonville underperformed this year for sure. I think Indy is an ascending team. 

I get your point though. I think my overall thought is in 2024, Packers should be a team favored in the vast majority of the games they play.

Who knows with Seattle after moving on from Pete Carroll.  Jax really nose dived the last 3rd of the season.

44 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Yeah but wanting to beat the 9ers is personal to me. We’ve got to get that out of the way before any bigger dreams. We get another shot next year at Lambeau. 

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Yeah but wanting to beat the 9ers is personal to me. We’ve got to get that out of the way before any bigger dreams. We get another shot next year at Lambeau. 

We’ve beaten them twice in the regular season under MLF. We can’t beat them in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

We get them at home?  Good.  It's about damn time.  They will also suffer the curse of being the SB loser too. 😉