49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Barry has a 3 game postseason sample size. That's equivalent significance of a full slate of regular season games. 

Barry's defense has been bad too often in regular season but has been pretty damn good/great in postseason.

Let's all agree on the facts and then discuss what they mean. 

Obviously regular season play impacts post season changes. So it's important. It needs to be better. 

But it can't be better at the expense of worst playoff performance.

Sorry 3 games is not a worthy sample size to overcome 51 games of data. Barry went on a similar terrible stretch last year vs Tennessee, NYJ, NYG, Washington. That plus the dud of a game Rodgers put up in week 18 cost us the playoffs entirely last year. 

The regular season matters. Every single game matters. Would we be in the NFCCG if we played in Detroit again? We'll never know because we got fileted by Desmond Ridder, Tommy DeVito and Baker Mayfield. 

The conservative nature of play that we employ against powerful offenses is the easiest form of defense to emulate. How do you attack the bottom 20 offenses in the NFL to achieve comfortable victories? That's what we need, that's how you play at home throughout the playoffs. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Barry has a 3 game postseason sample size. That's equivalent significance of a full slate of regular season games. 

Barry's defense has been bad too often in regular season but has been pretty damn good/great in postseason.

Let's all agree on the facts and then discuss what they mean. 

Obviously regular season play impacts post season changes. So it's important. It needs to be better. 

But it can't be better at the expense of worst playoff performance.

This is pretty much why I have been saying that they have their conclusion and are looking for evidence, rather than the other way around.  The defense as called, and minus a couple of good plays from SF, as played was good enough.  They caught a couple of breaks, and we didn't.  So we lost.  

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

DCs getting interviewed fast & furious around the league. The "Packer Way" is to delay.

Maybe so but has anyone been signed that you think would have vastly improved our team to this point? I personally haven't seen one that I was disappointed at losing the chance at to this point. 

1 minute ago, Zing said:

Maybe so but has anyone been signed that you think would have vastly improved our team to this point? I personally haven't seen one that I was disappointed at losing the chance at to this point. 

It's a process. We've gotta get going on it. Starting with showing Barry the door.
We've seen who he is. This shouldnt be hard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

This is pretty much why I have been saying that they have their conclusion and are looking for evidence, rather than the other way around.  The defense as called, and minus a couple of good plays from SF, as played was good enough.  They caught a couple of breaks, and we didn't.  So we lost.  

I agree. The defensive shortcomings vs SF were almost exclusively individual effort (dropped INTs, missed tackles, not winning 1v1 pass rush fast enough). I can only remember one play from live watch that the coverage call cost us (McDuffie v Aiyuk).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

These are not accurate facts.

GB was a top 12 defense in 2021. 

A more correct response would be "...34 games of regular season data"

That's fair, and the year one bump you can see from a new defensive scheme you don't have film on is just another perk of removing Barry.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

That's fair, and the year one bump you can see from a new defensive scheme you don't have film on is just another perk of removing Barry.

I agree 100% of this. It's a bonus. But one that MUST transfer into postseason as well. Have to be confident your new guy can match Barry there.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I agree 100% of this. It's a bonus. But one that MUST transfer into postseason as well. Have to be confident your new guy can match Barry there.

It's the ability to know when to plan to attack vs sit back and be conservative. We went from Pettine who too often went on the attack to Barry, who rarely does. Pettine destroyed young QBs, Barry gives them career games. Pettine was susceptible to the big play vs the top QB's, Barry makes them dink and dunk, which works better.

Just needs a coordinator that is adaptable, our last two have not been. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's the ability to know when to plan to attack vs sit back and be conservative. We went from Pettine who too often went on the attack to Barry, who rarely does. Pettine destroyed young QBs, Barry gives them career games. Pettine was susceptible to the big play vs the top QB's, Barry makes them dink and dunk, which works better.

Just needs a coordinator that is adaptable, our last two have not been. 

There are a lot of names out there I would be excited about if we replaced Barry. I'm optimistic that MLF is not FORCED to make a change unless he sees something he feels a lot better about. 

I suspect his confidence level is through the roof. Higher than it was last time he made a DC decision and played it safe. I feel pretty good about whatever decision he ends up making.

DC in GB has got to be a VERY attractive position, so he should have no shortage of interest.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

I want our next DC to be here no more than 2-3 years before he becomes a Head Coach. I also want him to have developed somebody to take over when he leaves to be a HC. That guy can add his own wrinkles to what we already have in place. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, turf toe said:

right, Savage didn't do anything, lol 10 games 1 PD and 50 tackles, thats not quite doing it for me.

I don't think Savage is a world beater, no. But he won't be paid like one. He's the best on the roster outside a very small glimpse of Ford and even then they were quite even. Savage is at least 2 tiers higher than Owens as a player

If not Savage you HAVE to bring in an outside guy. And if we can only afford Savage tier guys, why not build on some successes. His playoff games were very solid in coverage. Christian makes people miss tackles that's why he's the best in the game. Outside of that play Savage played damn well. Going into next year with owens and question marks is not for me. Savage and question marks makes me much happier.

• Like 1

Jordan Love is for real.

The Packers young offense is for real.

Matt LaFleur is finally in control of a REAL team that's 100% his. 

I can't wait to see Purdy vs. Love for the NFC moving forward. Your team is just starting their ascent and the NFC is better for it. 

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I don't think Savage is a world beater, no. But he won't be paid like one. He's the best on the roster outside a very small glimpse of Ford and even then they were quite even. Savage is at least 2 tiers higher than Owens as a player

If not Savage you HAVE to bring in an outside guy. And if we can only afford Savage tier guys, why not build on some successes. His playoff games were very solid in coverage. Christian makes people miss tackles that's why he's the best in the game. Outside of that play Savage played damn well. Going into next year with owens and question marks is not for me. Savage and question marks makes me much happier.

19 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

When Savage returned from injury, the coverage got better. His strength is getting people lined up right. That is as important as anything else. I'm fine with bringing Savage back, and replacing Owens instead.

16 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Owens needs to be better in coverage, he only had 3 PD's but he's a tackling machine, had 84 total tackles, in 17 games played in, Ford in 13 games had 3Pd's and 71 tackles, Johnson 12 games 3 PD's only 24 tackles, 5 tackles average with just 1 PD in Savages 10 games is nothing that should guarantee a job next season, same for any of the rest, imo it's time to rebuild the safety position, I'd buy a UFA better then Savage and draft a couple, and bring Ford and Owens back. jmo though.